Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Professor Layton is a series by Level 5 in which you solve puzzles as an English gentleman.

The main series is a series of six games released for the DS and 3DS following the adventures of Professor Hershel Layton and his assistant Luke Triton. The first three games are self-contained stories, and the second three are a prequel trilogy tied together by the mystery of an ancient civilization. The gameplay of these consist of various puzzles and brainteasers.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is a movie that was released in 2011, set between the fourth and fifth games. It's pretty good, and the story is actually relevant to the overall plot of the prequel trilogy. The gameplay is you sitting on your couch and enjoying popcorn.

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room is a spinoff game for smartphones that follows Layton's son, Alfendi, and his partner Lucky Baker, as they solve cases for Scotland Yard. The gameplay is reminiscent of the Ace Attorney series, with an emphasis on investigation, interrogation, and mystery solving.

Speaking of, Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is a game for the 3DS that crosses the series over with Ace Attorney. It's also pretty good, even if it's a bit less than the sum of its parts. The gameplay is segmented into alternating Layton-style chapters and Ace Attorney-style chapters.

And then the series was silent for two years.

Which brings us to why this thread exists once again:

:siren: LEVEL 5 HAS ANNOUNCED A NEW LAYTON GAME :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdCy6GCWqAY

The newly announced Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone's Conspiracy , coming next year for 3DS and smartphones, puts you once again in the shoes of one of Layton's progeny. This time, it's his daughter Katrielle solving the mysteries plaguing various Londoners. This is super exciting!

So let's talk about some fuckin' puzzles!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Hmmm...I'm sure I'll play it, as I have all the Layton games, but, I honestly preferred Layton Brothers to the main series, and I feel like introducing Layton's daughter could be Level-5's way of quietly pretending Layton Brothers doesn't exist . I really hope I'm wrong, I'd love to at least see Al make an appearance, and Layton apparently having gone missing (as per Gematsu - http://gematsu.com/2016/07/lady-layton-announced-3ds-smartphones) could potentially tie in well with Layton Brothers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i totally forgot about the layton brothers game. Was it any good? Was it even released in the west?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes it was, and yes, it's good!

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

mabels big day posted:

i totally forgot about the layton brothers game. Was it any good? Was it even released in the west?

Yes, it was released in the West, on Android and iOS. I liked it, but plays more like a simplified Ace Attorney as Waffleman_ mentioned (no real puzzles), very easy in general, and the Layton branding was added last minute, so it doesn't really feel that much like a Layton game, in my opinion.

Edit: Beaten. :)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the Layton vs. Phoenix game may have been a bit of a slog, but drat if it didn't have a weird rear end plot :stare:

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Count me in for hoping they don't just ignore Alfendi completely. Even if he doesn't appear as a major character, just Catriel making some mention of a brother would be great.

Gonna be honest, while watching the trailer part of me was thinking "Hey, whats to say she isn't Al's kid?" since they don't say Layton's first name. But listening to it, they refer to him as Layton Kyōju (Professor) and Alfendi specifically points out he's not one, so that can't be. (What he gets called in the Japanese version I don't actually know though)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Level 5 have confirmed a western release for Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone's Conspiracy in 2017, with the protagonist's name being Katrielle, nicknamed Kat.

Level 5 posted:

As one of LEVEL-5’s masterpieces, the PROFESSOR LAYTON series of puzzle adventure games has sold more than 15.5 million units worldwide to date. Its newest official sequel, Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone’s Conspiracy — available on Nintendo 3DS/Android/iOS — was announced to be released in Spring 2017 in Japan. Not only will the main character switch from ‘Professor Layton’ (Hershel Layton) to ‘Kat’ (Katrielle Layton), many of its characters will be brand new. The story will focus less on dynamic problem-solving and more on solving multiple mystery cases observed in the everyday lives of Londoners, which will bring a faster tempo and more comical tone to the series. It will be more familiar — and funnier — than ever, while maintaining an adventurous quality. The creators of the puzzles and brain-teasers, the core element of the series, will also be new. Please look forward to the new PROFESSOR LAYTON series, targeting a Western release in 2017.

Seems as if it's NOT traditional Layton, but more of a Layton Bros.

Also subbed trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdCy6GCWqAY

Screenshot!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 28, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm ready

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Layton owns hard and I love all the ridiculous batshit-crazy plot twists/endings every single one of these games has.

I still haven't played Azran Legacy yet for some reason, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Azran Legacy has like three games worth of batshit twists.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

It's extremely light on gameplay, but it's still pretty cool

Even if they do acknowledge it as canon, I think the new game is going to share more DNA with the originals than Layton Brothers - we've already seen puzzles are back in full force after all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Apparently there's a plot where Prof. Layton is missing and Katriel is looking for him on the side?

I hope Luke and Flora make appearances.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Totally excited. I can't wait for more batshit plots :allears:

So... Layton has three kids now? I wonder what a family dinner between Layton, Flora, Alfendi and Kat would be like.

Also hoping that they don't pretend Al doesn't exist. His game is not very Layton-like, but I dug the style (while the soundtrack had very few tracks, all of them are really loving good) and I liked Al and Lucy as characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/planet_pau/status/758284595813027840

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wait a minute, that's not even a real hat; it's a hairband with a hat decoration attached to it!

This girl is a fraud.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Not gonna lie I watched the trailer solely to see if she inherited her dad's soulless gaze.

Missed opportunity IMO

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Wait a minute, that's not even a real hat; it's a hairband with a hat decoration attached to it!

This girl is a fraud.

A tiny hat like that isn't just gonna stay up like that all by itself. It's a neccesary sacrifice.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know how to feel about this anymore. It's either gonna be really funny and good or it's going to fall flat on its face and ruin Professor Layton canon forever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I don't know how to feel about this anymore. It's either gonna be really funny and good or it's going to fall flat on its face and ruin Professor Layton canon forever.

Have faith

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Waiiiitaminute. The Layton Brothers and the Layton Sister? Call her Katie and you die.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 28, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Junpei Hyde posted:

A tiny hat like that isn't just gonna stay up like that all by itself. It's a neccesary sacrifice.

I've never understood that style irl. Those tiny tilted top hats look ridiculous.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Culprit is a Toucan?!

So I'm guessing she has Luke's ability of talking to animals? Or Luke let it awaken in every human, like ki.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not even her dog has beady eyes. Who does she think she is.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
We're going to have another Ezio moment and eventually have to deal with the natural death of the Professor at some point aren't we :cry:

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Seems as if it's NOT traditional Layton, but more of a Layton Bros.

Going off that summary, it's going to be episodic mysteries? But I suppose it'll be that they all seem unrelated but end up having something to do with the titular conspiracy, somewhat like the prequel trilogy.
It's funny, I was kind of putting off finishing Azran Legacies because it was ~the last Layton game~ but now I'm excited for this one and I feel like picking it up again.

Crosspeice posted:

The Culprit is a Toucan?!

So I'm guessing she has Luke's ability of talking to animals? Or Luke let it awaken in every human, like ki.

New notserious theory: Al's kid and Luke's kid got together and had Kat and that's how she can talk to animals and also be the daughter of a Prof Layton and that's the big twist for this game

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Lady Layton looks super cute. I hope I can play all the Layton games in time for her debut game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm shocked Level-5 hasn't repackaged the older games for 3DS like they did with Inazuma Eleven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you really work at it, you can beat a Layton game in like a weekend.

• Locked thread