Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
My conundrum is thus: I walk to work and I have a 11-year-old Jeep Wrangler that my local craigslist posts tell me is somehow worth between $11- and $15,000. I bought it for $24k new in '05 so the figure surprised me. I'm wondering if I should sell it and have my wife and I be a 1-car household for a while. The sale proceeds would go toward our house down payment fund

Pro's to selling -
1. it will only depreciate further
2. it's worth quite a bit more than I thought it would be
3. I have no real need of a car. work, groceries, hospital, entertainment are all in walking distance.
4. I'll save close to a thousand bucks on insurance and gas over the next year.
5. recently it's been a bit of a maintenance hog - transmission ($4k) 2 years ago and suspension work ($1.5k) last month
6 Wife wants another 4-door for when we have children, so the Jeep will be on its way out soon anyhow.

Con's to selling -
1. it's a paid off car with a clean title that runs beautifully
2. upkeep is entirely affordable
3. I have a free garage at work to park it in
4. it'd better for hauling stuff than our other vehicle, a sporty 4-door hatchback
5. if we find a house we love that requires us both to commute again, I'm back to square 1
6. our hatchback isn't 4wd/awd whereas the Jeep is. It can snow quite a lot here

What should I do BFC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can always buy a car. Sell it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
How often do you haul enough stuff to need the Jeep for it? Unless you do that a lot, it probably makes more sense to rent a truck or van when needed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sell, buy a $1500 beater for the few days where you both need cars at the same time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Entering into a fair market value transaction is insane neutral. We need more information to determine your mental health. You don't have automotive insanity though or you would be asking how to put a hellcat engine in it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Elephanthead posted:

put a hellcat engine in it.

Do this

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
I have fantasized about dropping a diesel into it, but that's probably unfeasible.

To me it's a time value of money question - do I sell, then regret it in a year when my apartment complex takes my rent up 20% and I have to move?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unless you have a serious emotional attachment to the car, selling it is going to be a better option.

What is the probability of you moving next year?

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
Not high unless we find a steal of a deal on a house. We may move to a different, cheaper, unit in the same apartment complex once the special rate we got goes away. I think it makes sense to sell, I'm just trying to cover bases by asking you guys if there are any obvious holes in the plan. Seems like there aren't.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Sell it. You can always rent a car/truck when you need it, or buy another one for cheaper down the road.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Do not sell that Wrangler. You'll regret it, I promise.

I had one. a 1997 wrangler, red, with a 4 liter engine. I loved that thing to death. It had no AC, which was an issue once I moved to Florida, but I kept it and loved it until a promotion put me out of a desk job and onto the streets. At that point I really didn't have the option of keeping it for a daily driver, so I traded it in on an Acura TSX that I bought from a car dealer that my boss knew. Then I found out that I got the promotion because my boss wanted to gently caress my girlfriend who also worked in the office, and by putting me in the field I would be out of the way. Long story short: she quit because he promised her that she'd never have to work the rest of her life, they got engaged, she dumped him 3 months later because he's a lying sack of poo poo with 4 previous wives and a daughter he didn't remember at all, and he liked to smack his girls around. I got him fired, was making 4x what I was making before, laughed at her when she came to me for $5,000 so she could pay her bills, and she ended up working as a waitress at a nudie bar. Was I cucked? Sure. But I think I came out ahead on the deal.

I couldn't stand looking at that Acura anymore, though, because it reminded me of all of that nonsense, and I didn't really like it anyway. So I went over to BMW and bought a brand-spankin' new 2006 330i right off the lot without a test drive. I still drive that car; it's great. I've only got like 60K miles on it after 11 years.

But, I wish I still had that Jeep Wrangler. It was fuckin' sweet.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

[A LOT MORE WORDS]

drat bro. I think you'e got a little bit more of an emotional investment in your wrangler than I do.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Holy loving poo poo

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
my biggest regret in life is getting rid of my wrangler.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I had one. a 1997 wrangler, red, with a 4 liter engine. I loved that thing to death. It had no AC, which was an issue once I moved to Florida, but I kept it and loved it until a promotion put me out of a desk job and onto the streets. At that point I really didn't have the option of keeping it for a daily driver, so I traded it in on an Acura TSX that I bought from a car dealer that my boss knew. Then I found out that I got the promotion because my boss wanted to gently caress my girlfriend who also worked in the office, and by putting me in the field I would be out of the way. Long story short: she quit because he promised her that she'd never have to work the rest of her life, they got engaged, she dumped him 3 months later because he's a lying sack of poo poo with 4 previous wives and a daughter he didn't remember at all, and he liked to smack his girls around. I got him fired, was making 4x what I was making before, laughed at her when she came to me for $5,000 so she could pay her bills, and she ended up working as a waitress at a nudie bar. Was I cucked? Sure. But I think I came out ahead on the deal.

I couldn't stand looking at that Acura anymore, though, because it reminded me of all of that nonsense, and I didn't really like it anyway. So I went over to BMW and bought a brand-spankin' new 2006 330i right off the lot without a test drive. I still drive that car; it's great. I've only got like 60K miles on it after 11 years.

This is amazing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Your boss is way more awesome then you Wrangler guy.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Do you live in a city with Zipcar or Car2Go or some other car sharing service? Then it's even easier to decide to sell. But either way, sell - if you are selling for the actual far market value, then you should be able to turn around and buy a car again for a similar amount if needed. In the meantime, you have money instead of a insurance-requiring car.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Do you do any outdoor stuff or plan to once kids arrive? If so, keep the jeep. Do you want to drive around with the top down so you can cat call sexy ladies wearing bikinis at the beach? Keep the jeep. Are you a man's man who wants to drive a hardcore off road vehicle with LED light bars, winch, hi-lift jack, a shovel strapped to the roof rack and a bumper sticker that says "If you can read this please turn over?" Keep the jeep.

Otherwise you're probably wise to sell it.

Me? I'd keep the jeep because it's a fun toy that will never be cheaper to own than it is now. But that's just me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Do you do any outdoor stuff or plan to once kids arrive? If so, keep the jeep. Do you want to drive around with the top down so you can cat call sexy ladies wearing bikinis at the beach? Keep the jeep. Are you a man's man who wants to drive a hardcore off road vehicle with LED light bars, winch, hi-lift jack, a shovel strapped to the roof rack and a bumper sticker that says "If you can read this please turn over?" Keep the jeep.

Otherwise you're probably wise to sell it.

Me? I'd keep the jeep because it's a fun toy that will never be cheaper to own than it is now. But that's just me.

the money has much higher utility as a housing down payment than a slowly depreciating object that drives significant incremental costs with limited utility

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the money has much higher utility as a housing down payment than a slowly depreciating object that drives significant incremental costs with limited utility

But if you catcall women from the front window of your house it's easier for them to get away from you.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Inept posted:

But if you catcall women from the front window of your house it's easier for them to get away from you.

Yes but if they accept you are already home. The time you save is priceless.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
If you had no Wrangler, but $15,000, would you use that money to buy an 11 year old Wrangler?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's a Wrangler, the SRT Hellcat powerplant would make it do backflips when it hooked up.

DO IT.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I recommend the Hellcat. It has plenty of acceleration if you add armour plating and a machine gun turret on the roof. There should be enough room in the interior to install a roll cage and additional reinforcing to cope with the loads from the armour plate (this will matter more at high speeds). You may also want to add a flamethrower to the rear, and replace the wheels with the same ones they use on armoured cars so you can keep moving if someone shoots out your tires.

Add some nitrous oxide tanks and silver spray paint can loaded with meth to keep you going no matter what happens.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

hell yeah lets all buy wranglers

• Locked thread