Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
only in elementary school after we first heard of the term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I'm sure you're right with regard to insurance reasons, when I was supervising it really came down to me not expecting these guys (most of them still in their teens) to fight with a crackhead in the parking lot over $80 worth of toner.

On a hilariously opposite end of the spectrum checkout this Walmart LP team!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdcYEQ3WiF0

How do you get minimum wage retail guys to be willing to risk their lives over a box of chiclets? That's amazing

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

I saw one at Walmart. A bunch of store employees pinned a guy to the ground and he kept trying to escape I think he was on some kind of drugs but he was yelling pretty coherently.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
No store is going to risk bodily harm to an employee over a $500 TV but someone like a cash in transit guard isn't going to worry about smacking the crap out of dude taking a chance at grabbing his cargo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

How do you get minimum wage retail guys to be willing to risk their lives over a box of chiclets? That's amazing

Most of the really gung-ho LP people tend to be testosterone-fueled heaps of anger who read the job description as "we will pay you :10bux: an hour to sit at a desk and watch a few security cameras, oh and once in a while you'll get to beat someone up for trying to steal an iPod"

plain blue jacket posted:

No store is going to risk bodily harm to an employee over a $500 TV but someone like a cash in transit guard isn't going to worry about smacking the crap out of dude taking a chance at grabbing his cargo.

That's a different story, armored truck guards are usually armed with shotguns and rifles

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was detained at a Duane Reade by a security guard/off duty cop because I accidentally ripped open an air freshener box to see what the scent was like and then put it back. I told him I'd pay for it and that it was an accident but instead he made me show him my ID and then quietly sobbed internally for about 5 minutes until I took my ID back and left.

Pretty sure he ate his gun that night.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poorlifedecision posted:

I was detained at a Duane Reade by a security guard/off duty cop because I accidentally ripped open an air freshener box to see what the scent was like and then put it back. I told him I'd pay for it and that it was an accident but instead he made me show him my ID and then quietly sobbed internally for about 5 minutes until I took my ID back and left.

Pretty sure he ate his gun that night.

Yeah, on the other side of the citizen's arrest coin is "what happens if a security guard physically detains you and then it turns out you didn't do anything wrong?"

I don't know the answer for sure, but telling the LP guy at Target "you better make drat sure I actually stole this before you put a hand on me" as I very obviously started dialing 911 on my phone made him back off real quick (I walked into Target with a Diet Coke and he accused me of getting it from their store and not paying for it)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Yeah, on the other side of the citizen's arrest coin is "what happens if a security guard physically detains you and then it turns out you didn't do anything wrong?"

I don't know the answer for sure, but telling the LP guy at Target "you better make drat sure I actually stole this before you put a hand on me" as I very obviously started dialing 911 on my phone made him back off real quick (I walked into Target with a Diet Coke and he accused me of getting it from their store and not paying for it)

You've got a lawsuit going for a bad stop. Detaining you unlawfully can net penalties as harsh as kidnapping, depending on the area. poo poo like that is why a lot of employers don't let LP guys make arrests, because the lawsuit loss is significantly more than the loss of a few candy bars.

Flesh Forge posted:

A lot of guys will fight for free. Even more will do it for money. I did it at a county psych ward for barely 50% over minimum wage, and that requires actual training to deal with very sick people.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

Every morning they do a Walmart pledge of allegiance (i am not kidding)

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
lol @ unwoke idiots fighting for somebody elses' property

that walmart video dear god lol :911:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
There's a rumor that one of my coworkers tried to do one on some Mexican teenager for doing a hit and run on his car, but promptly got his rear end beat by the kid and his two friends he didn't see in the car. He ended up having to take a few days off for court regarding an assault charge and the initial hit and run case in which he was the plaintiff in both,

He won't talk about it

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

There's a rumor that one of my coworkers tried to do one on some Mexican teenager for doing a hit and run on his car, but promptly got his rear end beat by the kid and his two friends he didn't see in the car. He ended up having to take a few days off for court regarding an assault charge and the initial hit and run case in which he was the plaintiff in both,

He won't talk about it

gently caress yes more stories like this please

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

drunk asian neighbor posted:

the answer is you get to sue Walmart of lots of money. if security is accosting you and you are 100% innocent it is best to encourage them to beat you and run away

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Booblord Zagats posted:

He won't talk about it

Ah the pitfalls of the citizen's arrest.

gently caress da Mods posted:

gently caress yes more stories like this please

Not quite related but a good story nonetheless:
I was about 19 at the time (2009?) and a guy comes running into the Staples I was working at and asks the cashier to call 911 because he believes he is having a heart attack. The guy looks pretty clean cut in business casual attire with a laptop bag so I assumed he was legit. He then starts breathing really heavy saying that he has a history of heart disease in his family and is very scared. I offer the guy a spot on the floor to sit/lay and he throws himself to the ground and begins hyper-ventilating. As the cashier is on the phone with the 911 dispatcher a crowd forms around the man and he starts going into the whole "oh god I'm too young to die" rant and the dispatcher asks the man (via the cashier) if he has taken any medications. He starts freaking out, screaming "I am a red blooded American! Call Obama I was there when the towers fell!" while spitting and foaming at the mouth. I urge all the employees to move away from him at this point and wait for help to arrive, everyone continues trying to pacify this dude as he screams all sorts of bizzaro poo poo. Once the ambulance arrives they are afraid to enter the store because they can hear him screaming from outside so they sit until the cops show up a few minutes later. The cops arrive and the EMT's begin checking him out all while he is babbling about terrorism and how he is former CIA and in walks a cab driver. The cab driver states that the guy ran up to his car in a rough neighborhood in Hartford asking for a ride to the airport, when they got to the exit for the airport he became erratic and demanded that the cabbie keep doing. The cabbie panicked and one of the next exits which dumped them out right at the parking lot of the Staples I worked at and the guy jumped out of the car and started booking. The cops explain to the cabbie that he is out of the fair and should be more discerning about who he takes as passengers in the future and haul the psycho guy off.
About 2 months later a very attractive Hispanic woman who can barely speak English comes in saying she is the guy's girlfriend and that he had an allergic reaction and that is what lead him to such hysteria (I call BS but whatever). She then says that his messenger bag with his laptop was never taken with his belongings and that several pieces of expensive equipment from his job were inside the bag and he will lose his job if he doesn't find them. We asked around the store but everyone insisted he had the bag with him as he was loaded into the ambulance. The office pool was PCP but I'd really love to get to the bottom of what happened!

EDIT: Huge detail missing: As he was being loaded onto the stretcher they asked him if he had any weapons on his person, he immediately undid his pants and started screaming "check me, fuckin' check me", they load him onto the stretcher and explain he is going to the hospital to which he replies "Oh gently caress please zip my pants all of these people are going to see my dick!"
Lol, almost forgot the best part

Gay Weed Dad fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 29, 2016

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Ah the pitfalls of the citizen's arrest.

Not quite related but a good story nonetheless:
I was about 19 at the time (2009?) and a guy comes running into the Staples I was working at and asks the cashier to call 911 because he believes he is having a heart attack. The guy looks pretty clean cut in business casual attire with a laptop bag so I assumed he was legit. He then starts breathing really heavy saying that he has a history of heart disease in his family and is very scared. I offer the guy a spot on the floor to sit/lay and he throws himself to the ground and begins hyper-ventilating. As the cashier is on the phone with the 911 dispatcher a crowd forms around the man and he starts going into the whole "oh god I'm too young to die" rant and the dispatcher asks the man (via the cashier) if he has taken any medications. He starts freaking out, screaming "I am a red blooded American! Call Obama I was there when the towers fell!" while spitting and foaming at the mouth. I urge all the employees to move away from him at this point and wait for help to arrive, everyone continues trying to pacify this dude as he screams all sorts of bizzaro poo poo. Once the ambulance arrives they are afraid to enter the store because they can hear him screaming from outside so they sit until the cops show up a few minutes later. The cops arrive and the EMT's begin checking him out all while he is babbling about terrorism and how he is former CIA and in walks a cab driver. The cab driver states that the guy ran up to his car in a rough neighborhood in Hartford asking for a ride to the airport, when they got to the exit for the airport he became erratic and demanded that the cabbie keep doing. The cabbie panicked and one of the next exits which dumped them out right at the parking lot of the Staples I worked at and the guy jumped out of the car and started booking. The cops explain to the cabbie that he is out of the fair and should be more discerning about who he takes as passengers in the future and haul the psycho guy off.
About 2 months later a very attractive Hispanic woman who can barely speak English comes in saying she is the guy's girlfriend and that he had an allergic reaction and that is what lead him to such hysteria (I call BS but whatever). She then says that his messenger bag with his laptop was never taken with his belongings and that several pieces of expensive equipment from his job were inside the bag and he will lose his job if he doesn't find them. We asked around the store but everyone insisted he had the bag with him as he was loaded into the ambulance. The office pool was PCP but I'd really love to get to the bottom of what happened!

thats a poo poo story mate congrats

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

gently caress da Mods posted:

thats a poo poo story mate congrats

Ordinarily I'd side with you thinking it was one you had to be present for but idk man story was pretty funny/good to me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

the answer is you get to sue Walmart of lots of money. if security is accosting you and you are 100% innocent it is best to encourage them to beat you and run away

welp, time to make a career out of pretending to steal stuff and suing the LP guy who tries to detain me

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

honestly its a fuckin joke that walmart even can have thugs beat other citizens up what is this sharia law jesus christ smdh

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I knew a guy who worked LP for Walmart. Listening to him talk about detaining people and being overly forceful was disconcerting (to say the least). His eagerness to chase, pin, and tackle people was pretty high. He came across like a complete psycho.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
I believe Hank Hill citizens arrested some punk who was trying to steal his truck in that episode where he ends up using crack as fish bait. That counts.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I once did a citizens arrest on the local deputy for making an illegal u turn.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zooted heh posted:

I once did a citizens arrest on the local deputy for making an illegal u turn.

How badly did you get your rear end kicked and how long were you in a holding cell for

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
when the sheriff came to the crime scene he offered to pay the traffic violation but the deputy was really embarrassed and he stayed in the holding cell over night. he even threatened to leave the force.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zooted heh posted:

when the sheriff came to the crime scene he offered to pay the traffic violation but the deputy was really embarrassed and he stayed in the holding cell over night. he even threatened to leave the force.

and that deputy's name was Albert Einstein

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

zooted heh posted:

way to stand up to Barney Fife, citizen

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

Citizen's arrests happen all the time, most common is store security holding shoplifters until the cops come.

true. I was working a case regarding pharmacy thefts, one of which occurred at a Target pharmacy in LA. I contacted the loss prevention guys and turns out they had a full on jail cell built into their little back-room office. I mean, heavy-duty jail door with a window (wicket) and metal benches with built-in loops for handcuffs. Place was legit.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

social vegan posted:

Ya we all arrested Donnie for being a fat gently caress and tucking his ham hocks in my personal labelled pudding in the lunch fridge

is this slang for something

did 'donnie' rape you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

If a security guard mistook me for a shoplifter and grabbed me, I'd fake an injury and sue the gently caress out of them. Like pull away and when he pulls back, go with it so it looks like he's yanking me and then faceplant. idk. It would be pretty funny for him to forever know he didn't do it but nobody believes him.

• Locked thread