Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Problem description: I'm trying to add my gmail to thunderbird. I generated an app password, but still can't sync. When I try, a browser window opens (in a Thunderbird window) asking me to enter my gmail username and password. Then I get told authentication failed and maybe my PW is wrong.

I tried both the app password (with and without spaces) as well as my actual google account password. None of these fixed the issue

Attempted fixes: I tried copying and pasting, and typing it out. (When they display it, the app password has spaces but copying and pasting is just straight chars). I also double checked imap is enabled in the account settings.

Recent changes: The only recent change was turning off forwarding - previously gmail forwarded all incoming mail to my personal domain's email (firstname)@(lastname).com. Long ago, I set up 2 step, which necessitates the app password.

Operating system: OSX 10.11.5

System specs: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), 16GB Ram, Intel i7 processor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, and I googled around. All I saw was the caveat that two-step users must generate an app password, which I did.

If anyone has any ideas what could cause this, it's not a huge issue but it's a really puzzling one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The easiest thing I'd initially try would be another e-mail client and see if it works or has the same issue.

• Locked thread