Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champ come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Robert Glen Lawler 59 71.08%
WELCOME TO THE WOODLEY ERA 24 28.92%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

agreed. i dont think jones has much of a legacy left anyway even if there are ppl standing up for him in mma news website comments sections

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Legit heartbroken. :smith: It's not Robbie losing that bothers me so much, it's that he didn't lose after twenty full minutes of spectacular punching in a cage filled with his and Woodley's blood. (On the other hand, if Robbie had got a clean round 1 knockout, I probably would've been okay with it. Hrm.) So sad.

Totally glad that Cookie Lady won though, and that dumb vine that LobsterMobster posted was responsible for half of my emotional investment in that fight.

Speaking of page 1:

davidbix posted:

Even though Lawler is pretty clearly the fighter favored by the stylistic matchup to the point he should be a comfortable pick, I'm terrified that Woodley is gonna one punch him in the first.
We used to burn witches like you. :tinfoil:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

it's weird to leave mighty mouse out of that prediction. or is that a typo?

When I made that post I honestly expected MM to go up a class and fight for the bantamweight title. It looks like he's not going to do that now, and fair enough, but that was my expectation.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i'm pretty sure multiple people in the general thread have pointed out that woodley is like a last-generation mma fighter with 2 weapons but is so good at them that it's a testament to the fact that you can still be really good at only a few things and still have incredible success. it's really cool, in a way, and not really cool, in others.

In spirit I really enjoy the fact that a dude being really, really good at two techniques and nothing else is enough to get him to a championship, but in practice I would like it much better if those techniques were more interesting to watch.

Le Saboteur posted:

Lol Woodley ducking Wonderboy already. Said he wants either Nick Diaz or GSP next.

I actually would find Woodley/GSP more interesting than a lot of potential GSP matches because to me the most interesting GSP matches are the ones where the wrestling is actually a struggle.

manyak posted:

Jones technique was always unremarkable and the main thing he had was that he was really strong, big for the division, and younger and in better shape than his opponents. Then it turned out he was insanely on PEDs the entire time and got caught as soon as they implemented real testing. And people are still discrediting Cormier, the guy who took rounds from Jones despite being 10 years older, a foot shorter, fat, and not on steroids lol. What are we really missing by him being gone

I actually disagree with this a little - I think Jones' wrestling technique was significantly better than "unremarkable". Obviously his reach, explosiveness, and cardio made a big different there, though.

Interestingly, one of the things Jackson said about Jones was that everyone thought his biggest athletic gift was his reach, but it was really that he never gets tired. Considering that his two toughtest matches (Cormier and Gustafsson) were sealed by him decisively winning rounds 4 and 5, that seems really true - I wonder how much of that was Jones, and how much was PEDs helping his stamina?

Marching Powder posted:

wonderboy will be figured out and beaten fairly soon ala machida. incidentally, i still believe his worse match up in the division is matt brown.

I think you're kind of right that a guy who applies pressure like Brown is a bad matchup for a guy like Thompson that thrives on space, but I have a hard time thinking of Brown specifically without envisioning a spinning back kick to his liver turning him inside out

manyak posted:

Smaller gloves play a part, the real thing though is that MMA is just more dynamic and people get caught with worse shots that they never saw coming. Like this one Lawler had his hands totally down because he had to defend the threat of a double leg takedown, theres no situation in boxing where you would have your hands down by your hips not expecting the dude to take a running start and punch you in the face
In a less relevant way you sometimes see guys with worse chins get to high levels of MMA compared to boxing, because youd never make it through the grind of amateur boxing if you have a bad chin but its pretty plausible you could get to a high level in MMA by using grappling and stuff and never having your ability to take a shot be tested

This is basically everything I was gonna say about this

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

In spirit I really enjoy the fact that a dude being really, really good at two techniques and nothing else is enough to get him to a championship,

i feel the exact opposite

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I think GSP would beat up Woodley the same way Rory did except also maybe take him down a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shine posted:

Nooooooooooo

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

gently caress LAWLER

Eat Bum Zen posted:

NO NO NONONONON

Aphrodite posted:

At this point why do you guys even have favorites?

Dangersim posted:

There are no happy endings in combat sports

Belle Isle Tech posted:

MY HEART HURTS

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

ah gently caress off

Fauxhawk Express posted:

at least Wonderboy gets to kill this guy

Wise Learned Man posted:

gently caress this earth :colbert:

Belgian Waffle posted:

gently caress this gay earth

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Ugh I'm so bitter now i hope woodley pops. No I dont, but gently caress, MAN.

neonburzt posted:

gently caress this poo poo. bollocks.

CommonShore posted:

I wasn't very far into the "gently caress Woodley" camp previously, but now that he has tried to duck the clear #1 contender after pouting and crying "but you promisssedd!" for the last year, let's make this clear:

:siren: gently caress Tyron Woodley :siren:

Hmm, these beans are a little underseasoned. It's a good thing I've got all this

salt

• Locked thread