Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I lost it at the windex blowing up windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ke0Rv5ww24

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Jesus loving Christ that video was depressing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At least Dead Rising 4 does reflections better than Mafia 3. :mmmhmm:

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Aww that video just makes me sad. So very sad

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I didn't watch all of that but man that's hella lame you can't pick up all the stuff lying around the world. The fact that you can pick up pretty much anything that's not nailed down and somehow use it as a weapon was also one of the really cool things about the series.

I just don't get what the were going for with DR4

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gobblecoque posted:

I didn't watch all of that but man that's hella lame you can't pick up all the stuff lying around the world. The fact that you can pick up pretty much anything that's not nailed down and somehow use it as a weapon was also one of the really cool things about the series.

I just don't get what the were going for with DR4

Getting some money out of the IP.

GenericMartini posted:

Aww that video just makes me sad. So very sad

Pretty much, I can't be mad, I'm just sad because DR1 for all its flaws has so much life to it.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
They finally take away the timer for good only for it to also strip out all the things that would've made it interesting to mess around in the first place. Didn't DR2 retain most if not all of that level of interactivity? Seems kinda weird that the same team behind the worthwhile sequel just kept dropping the ball from that point forward.

But I guess that's what happens when your brand new sequel is spearheaded by people who had never touched the series before. New Frank actor did a decent job, but I still maintain that it's a completely different character in practically every way, seeing as "4rank" is written like if whoever wrote it only had a cliff's notes of basic story beats and all the Rob Riggle segments from Dead Rising: Watchtower to go off of.

I still sort of enjoyed it for a good few days all considered, but more because I was just grinding for completion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Didn't DR2 retain most if not all of that level of interactivity?

To some extent. A lot of the things that you can't do in 4 from that video you can do in 2. Picking up frying pans and cooking them to make them do more damage, throwing oil to make enemies slip and fall, throwing meat hands to make the enemies go after it, poo poo like that. 4 just....really did not give a poo poo on any level. 1 was people going above and beyond, 4 is someone cashing a paycheck.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Look, all of the important time to develop things like a fluid environments that you can pick up and play with almost anything or having weapons or actions like a chainsaw have some sort of consistency with its physics outside of straight up attacking are not as important as making sure selfies are able to be done as soon as the player finds out they have a camera. Frank needs the gore to immediately bathe him after killing one zombie, he needs to look like a 20-30 something and the developer head's very funny idea of putting ourselves into the game to die in cut scenes are what players want. Clearly we need to just outsource to several companies at a time and make sure that we cheaply Frankenstein up several different version of the game to assure a real quality experience for Dead Rising 5.

Its funny how the lesson from this franchise seems to keep being you need some tedious aspects in order for the game to actually have a focus on what it wants and that these hard layers seem to make sure there's a foundation of effort in the overall design of said game.

maxmandude
Apr 16, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It does seem like the devs tried really hard with Dead Rising. It also seems like the Dead Rising 4 team didn't try very hard at all.

The two games were made in very different times and climates for Capcom, with DR1 being made when they were in a fairly good spot both in terms of their developers and in terms of their cash flow. The allure of then "next-gen" technology also contributed quite a bit to having to show what they could possibly do on new hardware. DR4, on the other hand is Capcom at the point were they are not in a good spot anymore and it shows in their more recent games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still don't know why 3 and 4 didn't just adopt Off the Record's approach of having a timed main story and having a gently caress around sandbox mode.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I mean it seems like a lot of the stuff in Dead Rising isn't really advanced but it seems to have a lot care and effort in it. Little things like cds individually being thrown when Frank throws them are cool tidbits not a lot of people would care about or even notice.

Dead Rising 4 doesn't have this and you can't really say it's a product of the situation Capcom is in because these are all small things. Like they cut the game's biggest parts of it and didn't even have any neat visual stuff and cool tidbits? You could say that these don't really add much but it adds to the presentation of the game, at least in my opinion.

And yeah the sandbox mode was a decent add that would people who don't like the time limit happy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

maxmandude posted:

The two games were made in very different times and climates for Capcom, with DR1 being made when they were in a fairly good spot both in terms of their developers and in terms of their cash flow. The allure of then "next-gen" technology also contributed quite a bit to having to show what they could possibly do on new hardware. DR4, on the other hand is Capcom at the point were they are not in a good spot anymore and it shows in their more recent games.

DR1 (and Lost Planet) were both rejected at the prototype stage but Inafune forced them into full production by ignoring the demands to halt development and deliberately going so far over-budget that management felt compelled to greenlight them - sunk cost fallacy and all that. It was a massive gamble and Inafune's career would have been toast had either game flopped.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 9, 2017

maxmandude
Apr 16, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DR1 (and Lost Planet) were both rejected at the prototype stage but Inafune forced them into full production by ignoring the demands to halt development and deliberately going so far over-budget that management felt compelled to greenlight them - sunk cost fallacy and all that. It was a massive gamble and Inafune's career would have been toast had either game flopped.

Ah, that would scuttle some of my ideas then.(Where did you find that info out by any chance?).

GenericMartini posted:

I mean it seems like a lot of the stuff in Dead Rising isn't really advanced but it seems to have a lot care and effort in it. Little things like cds individually being thrown when Frank throws them are cool tidbits not a lot of people would care about or even notice.

Dead Rising 4 doesn't have this and you can't really say it's a product of the situation Capcom is in because these are all small things. Like they cut the game's biggest parts of it and didn't even have any neat visual stuff and cool tidbits? You could say that these don't really add much but it adds to the presentation of the game, at least in my opinion.

Individually, they don't add much, but put together that's a significant chunk of time spent on things that, I would imagine in their shoes, would be better spent on refining the bigger open world or the multiplayer.

Was it a good call? I'd argue not really, but that kind of the unfortunate lesson of game development; it's a constant process of what to add and what to give up and hoping what you stick with is what people will like and what they stuck with was...not really that good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does Frank ever stop being completely unlikeable in 4? I'll admit some of his one liners have gotten a chuckle out of me but he's such a huge selfish prick that it's extremely offputting.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does Frank ever stop being completely unlikeable in 4? I'll admit some of his one liners have gotten a chuckle out of me but he's such a huge selfish prick that it's extremely offputting.

I didn't find him that unlikable, it seemed like the other characters just called him a jerk all the time for no reason.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

His disguise as "Hank East" was great!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That DR1 -> DR4 video is loving embarrassing.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

Getting some money out of the IP.

I guess. It does seem like the kind of quick and dirty poo poo game relying solely on brand recognition that a company pushes out the door when they're in a bad financial spot.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is it not fun or just not as good as the others? Is it challenging at least?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gobblecoque posted:

I guess. It does seem like the kind of quick and dirty poo poo game relying solely on brand recognition that a company pushes out the door when they're in a bad financial spot.

They're actually in a good place right now, if you go by their internal reports. SFV may have underperformed, but not by that much, and Capcom's back catalogue is wide and deep enough that they have a constant income stream simply due to the digital marketplace. (Also, there's typically an odd relationship between how well their games sell and how fondly they're regarded by the hardcore crowd. The DMC reboot still sold over a million units, for example, and RE6 is the third best-selling game in the history of the company.)

I'm currently operating on the theory that DR4 was pushed out the door before it was truly ready, maybe to make sure they had something new on shelves for the holiday season, or maybe due to Microsoft feeling the pinch due to its lack of holiday exclusives. The guts of the game are there, but even if you ignore the lack of features, there's the same telltale lack of polish that you almost always get with a rush job. For example, since random encounters aren't that random and tend to reset on reload, you can exploit your way to level 100 the moment you get out of the mall.

Agoat posted:

It can be fun, but it's 100% zombie sandbox/power fantasy. I have no idea what the game over screen looks like and I've beaten the game.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 9, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Agoat posted:

From the videos I've seen, you could probably have fun with it if you like Generic 3rd Person Action Games. But no, it's not as good or as detailed as the other games, everything good about the franchise has been dumbed down or stripped out altogether and people who've played it have said it's really easy, especially since there is no time pressure at all or boss encounters.

I may disagree with this guy's video that says GTA IV is "better" than V (it isn't) but goddamn, this is so embarrassing for everybody involved with the making of DR4. I really kind of hope there's never another Dead Rising game now unless they do what Eidos did after Hitman Absolution and just straight-up release an episodic game that goes back to the franchise's roots. They could have mini stories inside of contained areas, kind of like Case Zero or Case West but with bigger maps.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 9, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Didn't DR2 retain most if not all of that level of interactivity? Seems kinda weird that the same team behind the worthwhile sequel just kept dropping the ball from that point forward.

Per the video's description DR2/OTR were made on the same engine as 1, 3 and 4 were on a different engine which explains a lot of the differences.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

From the videos I've seen, you could probably have fun with it if you like Generic 3rd Person Action Games. But no, it's not as good or as detailed as the other games, everything good about the franchise has been dumbed down or stripped out altogether and people who've played it have said it's really easy, especially since there is no time pressure at all or boss encounters.

I may disagree with this guy's video that says GTA IV is "better" than V (it isn't) but goddamn, this is so embarrassing for everybody involved with the making of DR4. I really kind of hope there's never another Dead Rising game now unless they do what Eidos did after Hitman Absolution and just straight-up release an episodic game that goes back to the franchise's roots. They could have mini stories inside of contained areas, kind of like Case Zero or Case West but with bigger maps.
IO is the Hitman dev and yeah, more devs should really learn from IO about keeping true to their word, owning up to and learning from their mistakes, and releasing a fantastic game after a lovely one.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Per the video's description DR2/OTR were made on the same engine as 1, 3 and 4 were on a different engine which explains a lot of the differences.

this is definitely not true.
dr2 is not on MT framework, and dr3 runs on an updated version of the dr2 engine. from what it looks like in terns of engine quirks and stuff, it seems that dr4 runs on the same engine as dr3.

you can see the formatting of how items work/change that poo poo up to make modded weapons really easily too- it was a lot less prevalent for DR3 vs. 2 because the formatting changed and nobody really could be bothered to make more modded weapons as the devs shifted their focus to creating crazy rear end weapons anyways. i think only tommah was left doin' that stuff?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Frank is back, in zombie form! Much like this thread!

The $10 DLC ending for DR4, Frank Rising, is available now at your nearest digital marketplace. With features such as:
- Frank as a zombie
- That "timer" thing people keep talking about

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I still want to play DR4 but I fear the DLC spoiled the ending

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
At this point, why would you care about the Dead Rising franchise's story? None of the developers did.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Frank is back, in zombie form! Much like this thread!

The $10 DLC ending for DR4, Frank Rising, is available now at your nearest digital marketplace. With features such as:
- Frank as a zombie
- That "timer" thing people keep talking about

It looks awful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel pretty good about skipping DR4 to be honest. At least 4 lead to re-releases of DR1, 2 and OTR!

How do things end for Frank in the dlc then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel pretty good about skipping DR4 to be honest. At least 4 lead to re-releases of DR1, 2 and OTR!

Yeah, the only thing i'm really curious about with the DLC is how it turned-out plotwise.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the only thing i'm really curious about with the DLC is how it turned-out plotwise.

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6QI9vaQjHw

Watch for yourself I guess.

EDIT: spoiler here He either goes human and writes a best selling book and exposes the government with Vick or becomes a plagued with nightmares as a recluse, still cured

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 5, 2017

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Is the dlc fun? I enjoyed my time with the base game. Is it more of the same, or did they make other changes than the timer?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

Is the dlc fun? I enjoyed my time with the base game. Is it more of the same, or did they make other changes than the timer?

Seems to be a rather short and focused jaunt through a bit of the mall, old town, and west ridge where you're using zombie abilities (that you can upgrade via little mini-challenges) instead of weapons/vehicles within the span of an hour and 30 minutes. Not sure if it's necessarily fun, I just watched the same channel as the video above play through the entire thing in one sitting.

And yeah, the DLC's mere existence does spoil a thing that did happen in the ending of the base game but I wouldn't say it gives away everything.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This DLC existing makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Agoat posted:

This DLC existing makes me sad.

What ending? Even the "good" ending is barely anything.

Is the old school timed mode in it yet or whatever?

• Locked thread