Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I paid 5 irl dollars for Start10 because it owns, it will hide Cortana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I turned off my Windows 7 Windows update last year when they started pushing Windows 10 because I didn't want to get it forced onto my machine. I have been waiting for the free period to end so that I can update my Windows 7 with the latest security fixes. When can I do this without risk of getting Windows 10 push to me now that the free period has ended?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

you can upgrade to Windows 10 now and quit being a bitch. Or go buy a mac

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I don't appreciate your tone, vyst.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Turned off security updates for a year to avoid what amounts to an ad for Win10 I applaud your dedication to autism

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Thank you. I consider myself to be a real "taste-maker" in the tech scene.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Sorry not gonna upgrade, 8.1 with StartIsBack is superior in every way to 10.

knehsa
Apr 22, 2013

ill just torrent it when i really need it

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

vyst posted:

I paid 5 irl dollars for Start10 because it owns, it will hide Cortana.

You paid 5 dollars instead of clicking the Cortana settings slider to "off".

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Flesh Forge posted:

I had this kind of complaint at first until I realized it's the retarded rear end power save settings, these two are the really bad ones:

When I first installed that poo poo was set to Maximum Power Savings for some insanely loving dumb reason, it would slow down the graphics card and CPU in all sorts of 3D apps and just run like rear end but now it's fine since I fixed that :shrug:

update: my art stuff works better now but still a tad slow cause thats gamer hardware for you

also ironically i can get 60 fps in dark souls now

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is it true you have to pay an annual subscription to play solitaire in 10

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Is it true you have to pay an annual subscription to play solitaire in 10

To play it ad-free, yes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
FYI setting "minimum processor state" to 100% means your PC is a spaceheater because it will be running the CPU at max speed all the time and pushing out like 60-70 watts of heat, even when it's doing nothing. It's an all-time dumb bit of snake oil.

The time it takes for the CPU to flip from 0 to 100 is well under a tenth of a second: 50 milliseconds if you have an older CPU or ~30 ms if you have a new one. Whatever you think that is solving, you are probably imagining that it made better. Or if it really did make things better, it wasn't the CPU dynamic frequency that was doing it. Like the heatsink is full of grunge and it's going fast->slow->fast from thermal throttling, but running it at 100% means it's too hot all the time. (Possibly it really is an issue if you use a VM all the time, otherwise no, the CPU knows more about how to do it's job than you.)

Link state power management is maybe less dumb, the pcie bus doesn't use that much power and the recovery time isn't as fast for that.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Scudworth posted:

You paid 5 dollars instead of clicking the Cortana settings slider to "off".

No like it removes the entire bar

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Klyith posted:

FYI setting "minimum processor state" to 100% means your PC is a spaceheater because it will be running the CPU at max speed all the time and pushing out like 60-70 watts of heat, even when it's doing nothing. It's an all-time dumb bit of snake oil.

The time it takes for the CPU to flip from 0 to 100 is well under a tenth of a second: 50 milliseconds if you have an older CPU or ~30 ms if you have a new one. Whatever you think that is solving, you are probably imagining that it made better. Or if it really did make things better, it wasn't the CPU dynamic frequency that was doing it. Like the heatsink is full of grunge and it's going fast->slow->fast from thermal throttling, but running it at 100% means it's too hot all the time. (Possibly it really is an issue if you use a VM all the time, otherwise no, the CPU knows more about how to do it's job than you.)

Link state power management is maybe less dumb, the pcie bus doesn't use that much power and the recovery time isn't as fast for that.

i'd assume the reason why i got somewhat visible change was cause before I literally had ever power setting set to save the most battery. all the little things probably added up but I am not a computer wizard so not sure

set the minimum state back down cause what you said makes sense and it's not like the maximum is set below 100%

Putty fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 31, 2016

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
There's no way I'm touching windows 10 solely because it's free. Like, Microsoft isn't a charity or something, you know they have some nefarious scheme going on.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
See that's exactly how I felt.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Putty posted:

i'd assume the reason why i got somewhat visible change was cause before I literally had ever power setting set to save the most battery. all the little things probably added up but I am not a computer wizard so not sure

set the minimum state back down cause what you said makes sense and it's not like the maximum is set below 100%

ok sorry I went megasperg on you, it's just one of those things I hate seeing repeated

and yes if your computer has a battery it may select the max power save mode which does have stuff that can sometimes make things feel pokey -- but all in all I think that power management is generally a thing that windows does really well. plenty of other things are dumb as hell but that's the one where MS, intel, the chipmakers, and the system builders are all watching to make sure the other guy isn't loving anything up. companies put in crazy amounts of work and testing into it because if their laptop lasts 20 minutes longer on battery than a competitor it's a win.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Pekinduck posted:

There's no way I'm touching windows 10 solely because it's free. Like, Microsoft isn't a charity or something, you know they have some nefarious scheme going on.

MS wanting everyone on the same page is a legit strategy with no cynicism. They will save alot of money not needing to patch old poo poo.
Another excuse for them is that they probably make bank off enterprise and dgaf about home users?

However, it is probably linked to facilitate their future subscription-based OS. I guess they hope this freebie will reduce the people trying out linux or getting a mac.
Also, once they have everyone on the same page, they can develop paid add-ons and features.

Work (government) only installed win7 last year... (after the first bill came in for extended XP support I assume lol). MS should have pushed win10 to enterprise, so people would use it at work and feel comfortable to use it at home.
hint, bill gates: If I used win10 at work and it didn't rape my dog and bulldoze my house, I might have upgraded instead of getting Mint.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It screwed my boot camp install lol

Well played Microsoft...

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

The Biscuit posted:

However, it is probably linked to facilitate their future subscription-based OS.

This is my main concern. If I just buy software I know the price, but if I accept their "free" upgrade I'd be locked into needing future upgrades of unknown cost.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

This is my main concern. If I just buy software I know the price, but if I accept their "free" upgrade I'd be locked into needing future upgrades of unknown cost.

That is a very insightful thought. Furthermore, have you considered that all food turns into poop eventually? loving mind blowing.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

That is a very insightful thought. Furthermore, have you considered that all food turns into poop eventually? loving mind blowing.

Not all food. The useful bits are taken into the body and used in different ways by the different cells.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Putty posted:

update: my art stuff works better now but still a tad slow cause thats gamer hardware for you

also ironically i can get 60 fps in dark souls now

i am glad of it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Klyith posted:

this isn't true and is not how it behaves at all, I have a quad core processor and when it's idle it's stone cold.

e: and when I did a render with the power save setting, it wouldn't ever hit 100% on all cores like it goddamn well should, now it does.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Varg posted:

Sorry not gonna upgrade, 8.1 with StartIsBack is superior in every way to 10.
Bumping this thread to laugh at all the spergs on this page, including those that paid > $0 to use windows 8 or whatever, and calling an underdeveloped version of a product "superior in every way" to a later version that has more features and fixes lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i like window

• Locked thread