Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Problem description: My home built desktop computer won't start anymore. As in, nothing happens when I press the power button. It's a pretty old (5 years) motherboard / cpu and I suspect that one of these broke down. Before I chalk it up to old age I'd like to see if HOTS can help me out to see if I forgot something.

The PSU seems ok, as there are several lights burning on the motherboard. The PSU is turned on, if I turn it off the mobo lights go off too. When it's turned on and I hit the power or reset button they flicker for a moment (but keep burning).

That's the only thing that happens though. No BIOS/POST screen, not even the sound of disks spinning, or cpu fan turning on, nothing at all.

Attempted fixes: I checked all the wiring to and from the PSU as well as the wiring from the motherboard to the front panel switches / lights. These seem in order and are all connected properly. I dug up the manual to see if they were connected to the right pins, even though I didn't touch them.

Recent changes: Most recent software change was upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10, which was about 4-5 months ago. Last hardware change was around Xmas when I changed the gfx card. There were no issues after these changes.

Last year my RAID 5 config did fail and was unable to rebuild. This was before the gfx card upgrade though.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: Home built machine.
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2,6GHz (lga 1366)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Gfx card: MSI Geforce 960 4gb
Memory: 3x 2gb 133MHz ddr 3 kingston (triple channel)
PSU: 650w coolermaster:
Hdd: 74 gb wd raptor + 6x samsung 1,5tb in raid 5 (on mobo raid controller which is an intel Ich10r)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Most suggestions were trying to swap with other hardware, which I unfortunately don't have lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try a different power supply, if that doesn't fix it it's the motherboard.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Alereon posted:

Try a different power supply, if that doesn't fix it it's the motherboard.

I don't have a spare so I need to ask if one of my friends has one I could borrow.

Thanks!

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
You say it powers on then off immediately?

I would first detach everything connected to the MOBO (all hdds, cdroms, pull out the DIMMS, unplug all fans except the CPU fan and remove the video card).
See if it will power on with just the main board/cpu with no extra power draw.

IT might be that you are trying to pull too much power than your PSU can supply. I encountered a similar issue when I added something like 4 extra HDDs to my already fully loaded PC and my PSU wasn't able to keep voltage output so it was tripping itself to shut off, especially when booting and the DVD/BD-ROM would spin up and all the case fans kicked on. Your 6x HDD Raid would certainly cause that kind of power draw...

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Slayerjerman posted:

You say it powers on then off immediately?

I would first detach everything connected to the MOBO (all hdds, cdroms, pull out the DIMMS, unplug all fans except the CPU fan and remove the video card).
See if it will power on with just the main board/cpu with no extra power draw.

IT might be that you are trying to pull too much power than your PSU can supply. I encountered a similar issue when I added something like 4 extra HDDs to my already fully loaded PC and my PSU wasn't able to keep voltage output so it was tripping itself to shut off, especially when booting and the DVD/BD-ROM would spin up and all the case fans kicked on. Your 6x HDD Raid would certainly cause that kind of power draw...

Pressing the power button does nothing at all, except letting a few lights on the mobo flicker for a tenth of a second. They don't go out, they are just burning slightly less intense.

With lights I mean the light on the chipset passive cooler (says republic of gamers or something like that) and the lights of the OC buttons which are next to the memory banks.

Could indeed be a sign of the power supply, I'll see if disconnecting the HDDs will help, if it doesn't I'll remove everything else as well.

Might be a stupid question, but how do I know the mobo boots if I disconnect the videocard? Just from hearing the bios peep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Might be a stupid question, but how do I know the mobo boots if I disconnect the videocard? Just from hearing the bios peep?

Use onboard video if you have it. If you don't have onboard video there's no way to be 100% sure things are working right.

• Locked thread