Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apso
May 30, 2008

Problem description: I'm attempting to install a new MSI GTX 1070 but can't seem to get any sort of display. I'm upgrading from a GTX 650, which still runs fine. With the 1070 installed, the system boots, the LEDs and fans spin up on the GPU, peripherals power on, etc. It takes a little longer for the monitor and peripherals to power up than with the 650 installed, but the end result appears to be a functioning system but the monitor will turn (with nothing displayed), then power down/enter power saving mode.

Attempted fixes: I've tried booting the system to an existing Windows volume with updating GeForce drivers, booting to BIOS, booting to a clean Windows 10 install, updating BIOS drivers, using HDMI and DVI cables, swapping 6pin/8pin cables, plugging the HDMI into my TV instead of monitor, all of which results in the display recognizing the system but just a black screen or monitor powering down.

Recent changes: None, the system boots fine with my old GPU but not the new one.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

System specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3820 @ 3.60ghz
Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 8D
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
Memory: 4x 4gb Corsair Vengeance LP
PSU: Solid Gear ATX Power Supply SDGR-800SC
HD: Samsung SSD

Any insight would be super helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You've checked to make sure the proper power cables are plugged into the new card, right? It's going in the same slot that the 650 was installed in, and the 650 is out of the machine entirely while you are doing this?

You had the same result booting a fresh and driverless Windows 10 install? Also, you have successfully booted the machine with the 650 in place after it had been failing to boot with the 1070, right?

Sorry for the redundancy but I just wanted to be as clear as possible.

Apso
May 30, 2008

Yeah, I'm using the same 6/8pin cables used with the old card, tried a couple different PCI slots, and removed the 650 from the computer. Same result booting to a fresh install of Windows 10 - I can't even hit BIOS or boot in Safe Mode, because literally nothing is displayed, no cursor, prompt, nothing.

The system boots fine with the old card - I'm using it now. I'm curious if it might be my PSU? it is about 4 years old, and it looks like the card should be compatible with the motherboard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It could conceivably be the PSU, particularly if it is insufficiently powerful or puts out too little amperage on the 12v rail. I doubt the 650 draws much power in comparison to the 1070, even with the more efficient cards nowadays.

Apso
May 30, 2008

Maybe I'll start there. Is there anything else you can think of that could be causing the issue? I think I've exhausted everything software side. Thanks Captain.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My money is on the power supply, that's a low-end generic model and it's actually kind of surprising it was working with your older card.

Apso
May 30, 2008

That's an easy enough fix, fingers crossed a new psu does the trick. Thanks guys.

Apso
May 30, 2008

So I've replaced the old PSU with a Corsair RMx 750 and the issue persists. The system still boots fine with the old GPU, is it possible the 1070 isn't supported by the mobo? I can't find much on compatibility between the two, but again I've tried updating the BIOS and resetting CMOS without much luck.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Apso posted:

So I've replaced the old PSU with a Corsair RMx 750 and the issue persists. The system still boots fine with the old GPU, is it possible the 1070 isn't supported by the mobo? I can't find much on compatibility between the two, but again I've tried updating the BIOS and resetting CMOS without much luck.

You might be looking at a bad video card. Do you have another system to test the card on? It might be time to RMA that 1070 and get a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apso
May 30, 2008

Wish I did but I work in a mac environment. I've heard bad cards are rare but might be worth a shot. Thanks!

• Locked thread