Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

91 days is incredibly fantastic. Though I don't think there's much I could post beyond "that was awesome!" each episode. I find the show has been telling its story well enough that while the outcome was fairly reasonable to figure out long in advance, the way it gets there has been slightly unpredictable.

Pretty much where I am as well for the most part. I mean the animation is a tire fire but it's not like there's much to say about that either beyond 'man this show is ugly'. The writing is tight and follows a predictable and satisfying tragic arc so there's not much to speculate about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I love shows in this setting. Where's more Baccano gently caress

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This looks really cool, I'll watch this soon, thanks for spreading the word on it, thread!

Random note, when I looked this up just now I figured for sure it must be based on a manga or light novel, it's almost mindboggling that it isn't. I can dig it. I like that it isn't, because those never end so this would have a non-ending or possibly not good ending.

That said Rainbow is one of my favorite anime dramas, even though it didn't cover the whole manga.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well that was 91 days. started out strong, ended up kinda mediocre

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Davincie posted:

well that was 91 days. started out strong, ended up kinda mediocre

What? I thought that was a really good ending to the show. Personally I would put this in my top 3 of this season.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I thought the ending really worked.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This certainly was a denouement. Freed from the flattening responsibilities of Don, Nero is his old self again. Nero and Angelo have been scoured clean, bereft of anything, there was no point killing further.

Though it's kinda vague, because for some reason the animators didn't draw a set of footprints moving away from the shore, and the waves were nowhere near strong enough to drag a body out to sea. Deliberate surrealism, ghost interpretation, or animator error? This will be impossible to decide.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I thought it was indicated that Nero was being tailed and his fate was sealed.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Relin posted:

I thought it was indicated that Nero was being tailed and his fate was sealed.

Yes, Nero is a dead man. The only one who survived was Angelo who had no reason to do so.

Pretty great show. Sure, it's a formula. But it's a really great formula, and I liked seeing the anime take on it. It just did an excellent job at telling exactly the story it told you it was going to. That's really something that a lot of series fail to achieve.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

91 Days ended up being entertaining and I'm glad I watched it which can't be said of everything I've started this season.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

GenericMartini posted:

I thought the ending really worked.

I wasn't impressed with the ending, but I liked the show overall.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

What? I thought that was a really good ending to the show. Personally I would put this in my top 3 of this season.

i would too, but i also did not manage to stay interested enough in 3 anime this season to finish them

i found the writing rather dull and predictable, now predictable does not have to be a bad thing, i quite enjoyed seeing all the various mobster cliché's appear in the early episodes and it even managed a few surprising things (how long fango lived for one and his end) but as the show went on, the production values suffered which meant that all the cliché's were no longer backed up with fun direction, good looking action and neat visual references. visually it became duller while filled with production errors. and without the fun visual flair to back it up, it just felt like it was going through the expected motions.

while necessary, the deaths of many of the more interesting, colourful or larger than life characters like fango, corteo, ronaldo and the hitman made the show blander. it quite literally lost its colour! its fair to take this as intended on a thematic level, but it also made a show already suffering from a troubled production less interesting to look at and it isn't exactly on the level of sympathy for lady vengeance where it works (for me). the whole first half of the last episode was also rather clunky with the unnecessary and constant back and forth scenes

in short, while the story was at first backed up with fun direction and good visuals, the rough production ended up leaving the story without the visuals to back it up and with a script that could have used some smoothing out to improve it, at least that's my opinion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they get to touch things up for the blu Ray release. Seeing the jump in quality after that one week break makes me wish this was like a 6 episode OVA over the course of a few months or something

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The production definitely got all hosed up and the last episode was a bit jumpled but I still liked it a lot. Angelo shooting the Gallasia don and then Nero and Angelo going on a beach roadtrip was cool.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah, I think 91 Days biggest failing is it has some really painful quality shots that are lingered on too long. I really enjoyed this since I usually only watch this kind of show live action so seeing an anime of similar setting was refreshing amidst the other stuff I followed this season.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Over the course of the last couple days I watched this entire series, it was good. I didn't even notice the production quality issues.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I liked it, overall. Some of the dramatic moments didn't land for me (Nero and Frage's dinner, Corteo and Angelo's argument) but in general it was a good crime drama with a surprising sense of humor. Apparently a lot of the people who worked on this shoe are industry newbies so I'm excited to see what they make next. With some more experience and maybe a little bit of time they could make something really awesome, I bet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GorfZaplen posted:

Apparently a lot of the people who worked on this shoe are industry newbies so I'm excited to see what they make next.

No wonder it came apart at the seams. At least it wasn't soleless.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I know people complain about slow lingering shots but I loving love them for their sense of tension

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I know people complain about slow lingering shots but I loving love them for their sense of tension

It was the slow lingering shots of backgrounds that bugged me, especially in the penultimate episode

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Long takes can be intersting but there was a lot of random pans to scenery/sky while people offscreen talked which is a cardinal sin in animation in my eyes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Long takes can be intersting but there was a lot of random pans to scenery/sky while people offscreen talked which is a cardinal sin in animation in my eyes

Yeah. I'm thinking specifically of a scene where someone says something, takes a drink, and walks out the door without ever being shown

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
That started as a mafia show with its political maneuvering as and ended as a Yakuza one with all the crushing inevitability. Dug it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

this show was really really good, and it surprised me a lot which was good, because i was thinking going into mosto f the scenes stuff like "now hes gonna die" and then corteo killed fango, instead.

• Locked thread