Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Wikkheiser posted:

lol @ NY Times

How do you gently caress up an article on a speech?

They obviously wrote a "OMG HORSE RACE" piece before and/or immediately after the speech and shoved it out into the world without actually reporting on A) how crappy the speech was or B) the immediate heel-face turn Trump made as soon as he was in front of an audience who cheered him on to say his usual nasty poo poo.

Then they had to go and make a few updates after the fact because the reality turned out a little different.

The power of the incentive to make every election THE CLOSEST OF ALL TIME is really blindingly obvious this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combed Thunderclap posted:

They obviously wrote a "OMG HORSE RACE" piece before and/or immediately after the speech and shoved it out into the world without actually reporting on A) how crappy the speech was or B) the immediate heel-face turn Trump made as soon as he was in front of an audience who cheered him on to say his usual nasty poo poo.

Then they had to go and make a few updates after the fact because the reality turned out a little different.

The power of the incentive to make every election THE CLOSEST OF ALL TIME is really blindingly obvious this time around.

As I said on the prior page, I think it may have had to do with a last minute speech change. Conway has been pushing a more softer Trump on immigration, dropping hints here and there that "everything was on the table, wait and see for the policy speech!" And then Bannon backstabbed her and got Trump to do a speech that was straight out of Breitbart and primary Trump.

Apparently it was never going to be a conwayesque speech, but she really fed the narrative of a softer position on immigration.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

It was in line at a grocery store, and this older, maybe 60-something white guy in a Trump hat decided to ask the young black guy working the bag station at the register who he was voting for, so he said Hillary. Dude then went into a mild spiel about how she's bad and how he should change his mind, when the guy in front of me in line, an older black man jumped in and told him, hey man it's his choice, it's a personal thing. So MAGA hat decides to ask them both what Hillary will do for the black man and why all the Democrat-run cities are so bad for blacks and all that poo poo. It ended with an agreement to disagree, so not horrible all things told, especially in Arizona.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I literally just realized that MAGA means Make America Great Again because of that story. I assumed it was just meaningless alt-right drivel like how "cuck" means "anything I don't like".

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Trump has helped make whitesplaining socially acceptable, which is pretty horrible.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I literally just realized that MAGA means Make America Great Again because of that story. I assumed it was just meaningless alt-right drivel like how "cuck" means "anything I don't like".

USPOL September: The Gift of the MAGA

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 1, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Same thing actually.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

size1one posted:

The chances you ever have to show it, other than while passing a border, are slim but the law is very clear about it.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8289.html

The alternative is losing my green card what happens then mister laws?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phone posted:

They don't call em lolbertarians without a reason.

Nothing is more libertarian than trying to throw money at a problem using cut rate methods and being shocked when the money disappears and you're left with a disaster.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

iospace posted:

As I said on the prior page, I think it may have had to do with a last minute speech change. Conway has been pushing a more softer Trump on immigration, dropping hints here and there that "everything was on the table, wait and see for the policy speech!" And then Bannon backstabbed her and got Trump to do a speech that was straight out of Breitbart and primary Trump.

Apparently it was never going to be a conwayesque speech, but she really fed the narrative of a softer position on immigration.

Trump was never going to pivot. IT WAS THE REST OF AMERICA THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO PIVOT TO OUR WAY OF THINKING. YOU REAL RACISTS.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The Glumslinger posted:

Except when he lied about not discussing the wall

Also, making Rudy wear a hat that said "Make Mexico Great Again"

Sure, they jumped the gun a little on not blundering, but the dumb poo poo Mayor 9/?? did/wore/said is kind of unrelated.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Munkeymon posted:

Sure, they jumped the gun a little on not blundering, but the dumb poo poo Mayor 9/?? did/wore/said is kind of unrelated.

Trump claimed credit for the hat, so only kind of

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

"Sorry you didn't have your blinker on long enough. Back to Mexico you fucker!"

Also: "You say you're an American citizen? Tell it to the judge... in Mexico!"

Well, I suppose this time NYT is only whitewashing proposed crimes against humanity...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

It was in line at a grocery store, and this older, maybe 60-something white guy in a Trump hat decided to ask the young black guy working the bag station at the register who he was voting for, so he said Hillary. Dude then went into a mild spiel about how she's bad and how he should change his mind, when the guy in front of me in line, an older black man jumped in and told him, hey man it's his choice, it's a personal thing. So MAGA hat decides to ask them both what Hillary will do for the black man and why all the Democrat-run cities are so bad for blacks and all that poo poo. It ended with an agreement to disagree, so not horrible all things told, especially in Arizona.

I can't imagine being black with a retail job this election. I get enough customers trying to do some weird kindly uncle thing where they to politely explain why Trump would be an awesome choice for me despite my constant refrain of "I don't discuss politics at work" and I'm white as hell.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
We never got it, it still fits, the world still deserves:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > USPOL September: The Vindication of Prester Jane by the Narcissist Donald Trump

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Somebody help me out here. Is there some law on the books that says rapists and murderers can't be arrested or deported if they happen to be illegal aliens? Cause I hear this poo poo a lot, particularly from Bill O'Reilly.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Our 6pm news just referred to Trump returning to Arizona and "resuming ranting and raving". That's a direct quote.

Apparently he's not overly popular in New Zealand. :D

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mr Interweb posted:

Somebody help me out here. Is there some law on the books that says rapists and murderers can't be arrested or deported if they happen to be illegal aliens? Cause I hear this poo poo a lot, particularly from Bill O'Reilly.

Well, the federal private prison complex that the government is starting to shut down mostly holds foreign nationals who have to serve prison terms before being deported, so I don't think that's the case.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Elmnt80 posted:

I can't imagine being black with a retail job this election. I get enough customers trying to do some weird kindly uncle thing where they to politely explain why Trump would be an awesome choice for me despite my constant refrain of "I don't discuss politics at work" and I'm white as hell.

I kinda resolved the same but then the Ethiopian and Kenyan guys and I see someone is a MAGA hat and we all just hang our heads and just crack the gently caress up. I'm in good company.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

size1one posted:

The chances you ever have to show it, other than while passing a border, are slim but the law is very clear about it.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8289.html

Wait, how does this work for a citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
September thread is up.

• Locked thread