Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So this idea literally came to me in a dream: Ninja LARPing. It's like regular LARPing with the foam swords and stuff, but you do it in the dead of night in the woods or poorly lit park. Beanbags represent shuriken instead of spells and the emphasis is on stealth rather than running around and flailing like a spaz.

Now, in the dream it all went wrong because an actual ninja showed up and started killing the LARPers one by one and I spent most of it running for my life through the dark woods in a pair of black pajamas armed only with a duct tape katana, but I'm sure nothing like that would happen in real life, right?

It sounds like it would be a fun outdoor activity for nerds and the cover of darkness means we need not face the scorn of normal society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
sounds like an awesome way to suicide by cop or armed citizens, op

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Applewhite posted:

it all went wrong because an actual ninja showed up and started killing the LARPers one by one

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So have you considered the implications of racial perks?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Cowens posted:

sounds like an awesome way to suicide by cop or armed citizens, op

No that's ninja LAPDing

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Beanbags for shurikens? No way, you make those bitches out of cardboard so they actually fly.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
If everyone is sneaking, who are they sneaking around? This needs a Pandora Tomorrow guards/ninjas dynamic to make things interesting

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds quite gay!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zorodius posted:

If everyone is sneaking, who are they sneaking around? This needs a Pandora Tomorrow guards/ninjas dynamic to make things interesting

In the dream everyone was sneaking but the guards dynamic sounds like a fun variant!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zorodius posted:

Beanbags for shurikens? No way, you make those bitches out of cardboard so they actually fly.

Sounds like a good way to put an eye out!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Applewhite posted:

Sounds like a good way to put an eye out!

if you made them discs, they'd only put your eye out if you have weak baby eyes that deserve to get ruined anyway

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zorodius posted:

if you made them discs, they'd only put your eye out if you have weak baby eyes that deserve to get ruined anyway

So the exact type of eyes LARPers have? Use your head.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Apparently they already make soft rubber LARPing shuriken. Because of course they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2_4ZkNMkgE

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently they already make soft rubber LARPing shuriken. Because of course they do.

we had foam ones when we were kids

OP this is a great idea but i'm assuming someone will show up with their actual katana and inadvertently kill someone

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

we had foam ones when we were kids

OP this is a great idea but i'm assuming someone will show up with their actual katana and inadvertently kill someone

I imagine that's a real risk but no more or less likely than a day LARPer showing up with their reproduction broadsword.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBBxbqrSdo

naem
May 29, 2011

It would get ruined by anime cosplayers I think

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

It would get ruined by anime cosplayers I think

Yes because that is what would ruin LARPing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
You can't do it in a park because they are closed after sunset

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Step 1: B&E, trespassing

sounds like op is on the right track

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Godholio posted:

Step 1: B&E, trespassing

sounds like op is on the right track

That's against the law

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

An excellent test of your stealth and infiltration abilities. If you can't get in you aren't good enough to play.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Applewhite posted:

An excellent test of your stealth and infiltration abilities. If you can't get in you aren't good enough to play.

That's illegal, these laws are there for your safety.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

when i was a young teenager, i wanted to be a ninja. it was only years later that i realized that it was a stupid dream. instead i now want to be a samurai.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That's illegal, these laws are there for your safety.

Lol if you think ninjas care about the law.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

ATTENTION: ALL

VERY URGENT

SOME ONE stole my foam rubber shurikens at LARPFEST 2016 last saturday. They cost quite a bit and I lost a LOT. Remember, the RULES state that you must RETURN shurikens and other thrown weapons you find, even if you were eliminated by one! (lol).

If it extremely saddening that one should find (actual!) thieves in a noble hobby such as this. PLEASE PLEASE do the right thing.

Thanks,

Eric "Hayabusa" Roberts

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

naem
May 29, 2011

Ninja larper gets the address wrong, shows up in wrong empty park at dusk, hides behind tree giggling, leaves at dawn having seen no one "boy these guys are good"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Minorkos posted:

when i was a young teenager, i wanted to be a ninja. it was only years later that i realized that it was a stupid dream. instead i now want to be a samurai.

In Australia we've had some guy called Kevin Hawthorne running a "ninja school" for decades now. I remember seeing flyers for his 'school' on the community noticeboard at the local supermarket when I was a kid.

Today's lesson: how to take down an assailant when they walk slowly towards you in a school gymnasium and then freeze in a handy pose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e_h0kQOWic

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Fun fact: the classical"ninja costume" as it's understood by popular culture is actually the outfit of a Japanese stage hand. Plays from the period did not have curtains so set changes were performed in front of the audience by black clad stagehands the audience was meant to ignore.
Then some bright director had the idea to break the fourth wall and have an assassin sneak onto the set dressed as a stagehand and kill a character. The audience, conditioned to ignore people in that outfit, would not question why the other characters acted like this person was invisible. It must have blown their minds when it turned out to be a ninja.

From then on everybody started doing it.

"Real" ninjas wear whatever it takes to perform their mission.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
we are all ninja

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

In Australia we've had some guy called Kevin Hawthorne running a "ninja school" for decades now. I remember seeing flyers for his 'school' on the community noticeboard at the local supermarket when I was a kid.

Today's lesson: how to take down an assailant when they walk slowly towards you in a school gymnasium and then freeze in a handy pose

Its interesting that they led off with the fat guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arian_Samurai posted:

Its interesting that they led off with the fat guy

As tradition dictates!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5x_46ydrk

Fun fact: they actually started filming the sequel American Ninja 2 with David Hasselhoff in the lead but had to stop when the vicious legal battles over the rights to the movie got out of hand.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 1, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Maybe this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiay8STlYbs

Also kinda surprised it wasn't posted yet

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Those are some pretty lovely take downs.

I wrestled for like 10 years straight and I don't know any martial arts but I'm pretty sure I could kick that guys rear end really bad.

And everyone in this thread. Fight me dudes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dave_Indeed posted:

Those are some pretty lovely take downs.

I wrestled for like 10 years straight and I don't know any martial arts but I'm pretty sure I could kick that guys rear end really bad.

And everyone in this thread. Fight me dudes.

Fool!! How can your wrestle .... what you cannot see?

/throws rubber shuriken from the shadows

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

naem posted:

Ninja larper gets the address wrong, shows up in wrong empty park at dusk, hides behind tree giggling, leaves at dawn having seen no one "boy these guys are good"

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fool!! How can your wrestle .... what you cannot see?

/throws rubber shuriken from the shadows

* explodes into a fine mist of blood and gore *

• Locked thread