Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jcschick
Oct 12, 2004

What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'?
Heading to Mystic, CT in October and we pretty much have that part of the trip planned out. Boston is a lot more to plan/see/dine in.

Are there must-sees in Boston? Great steak restaurants? Shopping? (We don't care about Fenway Park.)

What about Salem? There are so many "haunted" and "witch" tours, etc that I don't know which one isn't lovely. We are going in October.
We will do House of the Seven Gables.

If it helps, we are big literature nerds so Walden Pond is happening and Orchard House. We also like anything on the water (boats, restaurants, etc.) although it will be October when we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Where are you coming from?

You should definitely check out Bogie's place - it's a tiny, tiny 'steakhouse' that's inside another restaurant called J.M. Curley's and it's set up kind of like a speakeasy - https://www.yelp.com/biz/bogies-place-boston. Reservations probably required, not entirely sure.

I'd recommend the Harpoon Brewery which is in the Seaport, an area where there's tons of new activity and construction and stuff right now. Great beers and an awesome kind of german beer-hall setup there, including pretzels they make from the spent grains. There's a few other steakhouses in that area too but they're mostly chains (Del Frisco's, Morton's).

Harvard Square is a fun time - lots of stores, bars, restaurants, and you can pretty freely walk around Harvard's campus which most people who aren't from here find interesting.

The big shopping area is Newbury Street which runs from the Boston Public Garden down to the Back Bay.

You should also check out the North End, which is the Italian neighborhood and absolutely packed with restaurants.

As for Salem, it's a good time but yeah, you're heading there at the most obnoxious time of the year. I have no idea which tours are good and which aren't; they all look like garbage to me. Salem is a really great town with really great places and the witch stuff is mostly tacky horrible tourist crap that distracts from the good stuff. The House of Seven Gables is great though, as is the Peabody (pronounced "pee-biddy") Essex Museum, which is really an incredible place. They have an entire traditional Chinese house which they shipped over from China and reconstructed on the grounds of the museum there. You should also check out the Lobster Shanty, which is a perfect little dive bar where you can get a martini with a lobster claw in it, and the new Notch Brewery and beer garden. Also if you like cider there's a great brewery and taproom called Far from the Tree in Salem also.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything!

jcschick
Oct 12, 2004

What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'?
Awesome Riptor! Thanks so much!

We are coming up from Richmond, VA. I may PM you soon.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

jcschick posted:

Awesome Riptor! Thanks so much!

We are coming up from Richmond, VA. I may PM you soon.

No problem! Keep me posted

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If you're going to Walden Pond, you might want to stop by the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery a couple of miles away. Louisa May Alcott, Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, and the concord grape guy are buried there.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 30, 2016

• Locked thread