Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kchama posted:

As someone who played it at the time, it was absolutely buggy and unfinished all over, especially Serpent Isle.

I played it too. There were a few bugs, some design decisions were questionable, and if you didn't have a 25mhz machine it chugged when there was a lot of stuff on screen. On the other hand the graphics were incredible, the story was good, and for the most part it was fun.

Maybe you played an earlier version than I did, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/1572303133849817088?s=20&t=zD6VXaaT4RHH00jdRVG-Zw

Lol Richard Garriot is truly a class-A piece of poo poo. It’s always someone else’s fault.

https://twitter.com/Psykhophear/status/1572131736569679873

Ultima 8? Rich colours?! :catstare:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/1572303133849817088?s=20&t=zD6VXaaT4RHH00jdRVG-Zw

Lol Richard Garriot is truly a class-A piece of poo poo. It’s always someone else’s fault.

Thank you for sharing his tweets, fucker blocked me for reasons I honestly can't remember.

Probably mocking him being basically a total failure for years and years.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ultima 9 should have just been Ultima Online single player version. Sort of like Ultima 7, which was before UO anyways.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 7, 2022

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Lum let us know when your NDA drops so you can really fill us in on this boondoggle.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Lum let us know when your NDA drops so you can really fill us in on this boondoggle.

Eh, it's hard to quantify when NDAs expire for companies that no longer exist, but it all mostly amounts to wild scope creep - trying to make a $50+ million MMO with a $5 million budget results in things like one person implementing the entire NPC dialogue and quests for 3/4 of the game.

Plus a lot of frankly stupid decisions were nailed in stone early by a stakeholder (ie Richard or Chris) insisting on it (such as the dialogue system - Richard was absolutely married to the text parser years after it was obvious it wasn't going to work, was convinced it would be as good as Siri or something and then would spend days dictating how one NPC should respond to random questions about food). I wanted to rip the whole thing out and put in a dialogue tree system like literally every other RPG on the planet and was a few days from doing that when we all got told to get out.

I mean, all of this was obvious to any outside observer, and add to that the (frankly justified, given the levels of funding changing hands) entitlement of some of the player base meant it was always going to launch headlong into a brick wall. Then when it was obvious it was never going to make any money back most of the dev team was let go and from that point on it became Chris' hobby project (almost no designers or artists were kept after the layoffs, so very little new content was ever going to appear).

I haven't had any direct contact with anyone involved since the layoffs in 2018 so for the past few years have been just watching from the sidelines like everyone else. Wish I could say I was surprised about the NFT game but well, there's a lot of stupid money in that space (or was).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think Richard Garriotts new web3 game Iron & Magic might already be dead. I was trying to find their website but it just links to a Facebook page that was last updated in July.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Popete posted:

I think Richard Garriotts new web3 game Iron & Magic might already be dead. I was trying to find their website but it just links to a Facebook page that was last updated in July.

This article is hilarious:

https://mmofallout.com/rantcakes-iron-magic-is-money-first-game-never/

quote:

Iron & Magic leverages blockchain and NFT along with Lord British’s experience in selling overpriced digital land plots to people, as well as pulling off ridiculous publicity stunts, with Garriott’s other talents in abandoning unfinished games and leaving investors high and dry to be put in the back pocket for a few years from now when he abandons the unfinished ship like he did with Shroud of the Avatar. Where’s episode 2-5, Rich? Where are the signed Tracy Hickman novels people paid the $500 tier for? Where’s the legal accountability to SeedInvest or your other investors? Oh yeah, Lord British went out for ye old cigarettes and never returned.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I can't wait to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing all over again.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Node posted:

I can't wait to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing all over again.

Hundreds? That is baby levels, barely a backer even, for Garriot/Roberts level crowd-scams. Err crowd-funds.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I wish I could laugh at Garriott's stupid NFT tweets.

But he actually blocked me after I mocked Shroud pf the Avatar.

Thin-skinned fucker ain't he?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I think at this point LB is basically "give me $500 and I'll put my name on anything." Kinda like Neverdie, except that Garriott was actually relevant at one point.

It's almost a shame... 40 years ago when he was just a dude making games on his own, from what I heard he was a decent guy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gynovore posted:

I think at this point LB is basically "give me $500 and I'll put my name on anything." Kinda like Neverdie, except that Garriott was actually relevant at one point.

It's almost a shame... 40 years ago when he was just a dude making games on his own, from what I heard he was a decent guy.

Capitalism is a cursed object. If you are one of the few who manage to use it to get rich it will turn you into an rear end in a top hat.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Hi SOTA thread! I love this thread. It's a time capsule of my hopes and dreams working for my 1990s-era heroes being crushed into a fine paste, sprinkled over noodles, and served to someone who paid $7000 for an ugly airship.

Anyway, guess what!

https://getpangaea.com/

Huh, looks like any other web3 "game" being announced, wonder who's working on it...

https://getpangaea.com/About-us/

oh god, what

https://getpangaea.com/About-Project-Rise/What-Project-Rise-is-and-isnt/#wbb1

surely no one is putting money into this

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/540043-03#funding

whyyyyyyyyyyy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

Hi SOTA thread! I love this thread. It's a time capsule of my hopes and dreams working for my 1990s-era heroes being crushed into a fine paste, sprinkled over noodles, and served to someone who paid $7000 for an ugly airship.

Anyway, guess what!

https://getpangaea.com/

Huh, looks like any other web3 "game" being announced, wonder who's working on it...

oh god, what

https://getpangaea.com/About-Project-Rise/What-Project-Rise-is-and-isnt/#wbb1

surely no one is putting money into this

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/540043-03#funding

whyyyyyyyyyyy

lol I got a kick out of reading this post and then seeing who was posting it

when I was a kid I used to read your site all the time while playing whatever MMO was big and now I'm old too

I ended up on this forum because of people referencing it on your message boards!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
They need more squirrels on their team.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What does "session based" mean in this context?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

What does "session based" mean in this context?

Usually means you match into a game, like league or overwatch or something.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know who Joe Scott and Chris Spears are and their names are so generic that I'm not sorting through Google but I feel comfortable saying if they got rid of those two and just kept the squirrels I would back this project, even though it's going to be an extraction shooter and never see the light of day.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Chris Spears is the guy who took over SotA after Garriott wrung all the money from it. I think he was the community manager or something like that before.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Joe Scott is from DeMeta which was the web3 crypto gaming company doing "Iron and Magic" for the approximately 3 weeks it was in active development.

jabro posted:

Chris Spears is the guy who took over SotA after Garriott wrung all the money from it. I think he was the community manager or something like that before.

lol. No, he was the CTO and also the lead gameplay designer by default (Garriott was concerned more with story and random tangents he'd go off on; my job was 90% enabling those random tangents and story ideas). He came up with the deck system, did all the game balancing, and for good measure did a couple of dungeons (The Rise, Castle Atos). If you got mad about something in game not involving real money, it's a good chance it was his fault. He also was absolutely a true believer in the game (why not, it was literally his game in terms of gameplay) and that's why he ended up owning it. No clue why he handed it off to someone else later as I don't talk to him any more.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 13, 2024

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Oh crap. My memory on all this worse than I thought. Thank you for the clarification.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So like already right off the bat this project has scam vibes written all over it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My favorite chris spears memory was asking in a livestream what the plans were to fix the issues with aggro and him just being baffled like, "uh, aggro's working very well!" Bear in mind, there was effectively zero grouping more sophisticated than zerging down mobs in the game at the time so I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion. Among the awesome issues the aggro system had, there was an ability like the priest "fade" ability in wow- it'd dump aggro. Only, it did it by applying a debuff to a single targetted mob, and it would break on damage. Any damage. I worked out that taunting a mob that another player had Faded actually provided a net negative in terms of keeping the mob off the Faded player.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Actually those guys really loving hated people playing together. The only worthwhile combat activity in terms of loot for the game's entire lifespan was mining silver in some high-yield places that spawned a lot of mobs to defend the silver nodes, and they decided that people were getting too much silver by grouping so they made it so that the silver veins wouldn't respawn on a reasonable timespan if you weren't soloing them.

EDIT: Silver was really valued because all the gear was player-crafted, but it all sucked no matter what you did, but there was a period of time where players hadn't seen high-level enchants yet because leveling enchanting required like 10s of thousands of silver so people were sucking it out of the economy rapidly in hopes that there would be some way to make gear that wasn't dogshit (there wasn't)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The squirrels are too good for that game

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Man... they hired a lot of squirrels for this.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Do you think the engineers are fake to get investors? Or worse, do they actually exist and are hiding from the shame of being associated with a web3/nft grift later?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

cmdrk posted:

Do you think the engineers are fake to get investors? Or worse, do they actually exist and are hiding from the shame of being associated with a web3/nft grift later?

Both; it's a scam and they haven't hired anyone yet to do the token "look like we're doing work" stuff, but won't find anyone willing to do the job because it's an obvious scam

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Not wanting to be publicly associated with Spears is also a consideration. There are some members of the "fan base" for SoTA that are seriously insane. I don't mean goon-style posting on boards weird crap insane, I mean restraining order levels of insanity.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Both; it's a scam and they haven't hired anyone yet to do the token "look like we're doing work" stuff, but won't find anyone willing to do the job because it's an obvious scam

I would absolutely work for an obvious scam since I wouldn't have to do anything. I would collect make-work money publicly and proudly.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Scam outfits generally don't pay their staff towards the end of the grift.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I would absolutely work for an obvious scam since I wouldn't have to do anything. I would collect make-work money publicly and proudly.

lum alt spotted

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
if only i spent those years doing nothing. it takes a lot of work to write all the dialogue for a bad game!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

if only i spent those years doing nothing. it takes a lot of work to write all the dialogue for a bad game!

What are you doing nowadays? I'm so sorry that you had to work with Richard Garriot at one point. He sounds like a completely insufferable rear end in a top hat to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What are you doing nowadays? I'm so sorry that you had to work with Richard Garriot at one point. He sounds like a completely insufferable rear end in a top hat to be around.

I'd rather not talk about what I'm doing now and I'm pretty much done with trying to work in design unless it's my own project.

Garriott is only insufferable from a distance. He's extremely charismatic in person; like Steve Jobs he has a Reality Distortion Field(tm) where he can lie right to your face and you just smile and nod because he's just so goshdarn likeable.