Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

This is a really low-effort OP, but I saw none other for the game, enjoyed it enough to post about it, don't have plat to search, am lazy etc. etc.

What's this abzoo all about?

ABZÛ is a newly released game from Matt Nava, the art director involved with Flower and Journey. That should tell you something of what to expect. If not, go play those games. Or Journey, at the very least.

In ABZÛ, you explore the ocean in a set of linear levels that each sport fantastic art design, music, environments that can be freely explored, and environmental storytelling. Environments range from shallow tropical seas to abyssal depths littered with ancient ruins, and each step (stroke?) along the way tells the story of the world. It includes a basic simulation of a wide range of sea creatures - some very exotic ones - who swim around and hunt for food. They are rendered quite beautifully in the same low-polygon style of Nava's previous titles, that relies on flat, vibrant colours and bright lighting. You may occasionally want to play this with sunglasses.

The game is available for PS4 and Windows PC for about $20. You can get it on Steam.

Is it some kind of gay walking simulator with no gameplay?

Excuse me, it's a swimming simulator. But no, this isn't exactly Subnautica or that weird Japanese diving simulator that I can't remember the name of. While you can finish it in a single sitting of about 4 hours, there are basic puzzles, collectibles, achievements, and pretty robust swimming mechanics. There is no fail state that I am aware of, and no combat, only obstacles to overcome. If that sounds good enough for 20 bucks, you won't be disappointed. If not, well... Did I mention it was really pretty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLooy-9ip8o

Will my PC run it?

I've got a 3 year old shitbox that ran it passably well. You can lower the rendered resolution to give you a boost for other graphical settings you might otherwise have to skimp on for that sweet 60 fps. It's a nice option.

So... what the hell is up with that thread title?

ABZÛ is apparently inspired by some parts of Sumerian or Akkadian mythology, where according to some Abzu variably means "primeval sea" or "ocean of wisdom", which in those religions spawned the deities that created the world. It also meant "semen". I can't remember my sources for it, but there you go. It's probably on Wikipedia or something.

In any case, the game features magical water that restores life to the world. :gizz:

Any pretty pictures to look at?

Here's an imgur gallery. Might be some spoilers if you care about that. http://imgur.com/gallery/1spvH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Just beat this game and it is amazing. The gameplay is simple but was enough to keep me engaged, and the visuals are incredible. Really top notch stuff here, but not really much replay value imo. If you like looking at fish, this game is for you!

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Other than for hoovering up collectibles you missed on a previous playthrough or to unlock more meditation points, there really isn't a reason to replay it unless you like to go through it again this with foreknowledge of the story that you were blank on the first time through. That's not really a knock against the game mind you, I'm happy with my purchase basically due to the visuals, music, and atmosphere.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I loved Journey and love scuba diving so I thought this would be perfect for me. Unfortunately... I'm requesting a refund.
Visuals are great although I didn't get a feeling of being in an ocean for the most part and the music is lovely but I feel as if it lacks any sort of real substance. Also finished it in 90 minutes and was sure it was going to be a refund at about 60 minutes in unless the ending wowed me.

• Locked thread