Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Hey everyone!

Starting a new exalted play by post up here, a game about daring-do, hidden treasures, high adventure, ridiculous stunts, naval battles and other piraty things!

Setting and game:
You'll be playing as a group of exalted pirates or privateers in the south-west, around Bluehaven, Lachte, An-teng. I'm planning for a fast-paced adventure game, heavy on action, on wit, on fun stunts, weird obstacles, Environmental challenges, the like. Think Firefly, Pirates of the Caribbean, Serenity, or things of that nature. Social challenges and play will be present, but deep intrigues likely won't except to the level that you start them and engage in them. Depending on your choices, the game may slow down a bit later on, in you decide to found a pirate nation, declare war on the realm, or slowly infiltrate a major city or something, but that stuff shouldn't be quite yet, at least, and would still be interspersed with Adventure!

The sort of thing you might do or encounter:
Go hunt ancient buried treasure of great power and hidden might deep deep beneath the waves,
Start a slave revolt and overthrow a city full of evil slavers!
Battle a clan of shark-gods to protect a city from their predation!
Unravel the mysteries of an ancient demon-worshiping pirate cult!
Prey upon the mightiest vessel in the realm's navy, and plunder the riches of the mightiest empire in creation!
Save the last of a hidden race of fish-people trying desperately to survive!
Beat up Not!Cthulhu and make him cry!
Stop a tidal wave! How? idunno, but you can probably find a way!
And the list goes on.

Party composition and players
You'll all be starting as a group that ALREADY KNOW EACH OTHER and are CREW ON THE SAME SHIP, of which one of you will be the captain. I won't dictate exactly what you do, but you're outside the law somehow - probably a mix between mercenaries, privateers, smugglers and straight up pirates - and have a cool-rear end ship and crew (lowest rating) that i'm just handing you straight up. You're welcome to upgrade the crew, but the ship is already a 4 or 5 dot artifact, so don't bother trying.
As far as party composition is concerned, someone should play the captain and make decisions, and someone, not necessarily the same person, should have supernal sail.

I'm looking for 5-6 players, and i'm keeping 2 of those spots reserved for people new to the game or to these forums or pbp in general, in my attempt to let more people pretend to be ridiculous demigods with us. If you're a newbie though, don't make a captain character; i'd like that to be a more experienced player.

Character creation
TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE LIST OF STUFF YOU MIGHT DO OR ENCOUNTER! And then make sure your character has a compelling reason to go do those things. It doesn't need to be fancy, but it needs to be there. A love of riches, perhaps, or a lust for fame. Perhaps the character is exceedingly curious, loves adventure, or despises cruelty and injustice. Those would all work. You don't need to have a compelling reason to do all those things, but a majority, certainly. I expect your characters to be ready to go on adventure when presented with the opportunity without me having to drag you there, so make sure you have reasons to go do adventure.

As for mechanics:
There's no ambidextrous merit, and no martial arts merit. Just buy the martial arts skill directly if you want it.
YOUR SUPERNAL CAN BE EITHER FAVORED OR CASTE!
you have 8 more bonus points.
You all have a free dot in sail.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Oh, another thing:
I hang out on IRC on irc.synirc.net at #Allunderheaven, #badwrongfun and #persona, so feel free to come chat about characters with me and have fun.

For usefull resources, check out:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12XB5hnsqyCmhP6y9y9UEmMUi5v8UY0HAYQipJlPsePs/edit

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sparrow Who Rode the Storm to Freedom

(Sparrow to her friends, the Stormrider to everyone else)

I haven't played Exalted in years, and 3rd Edition not at all, so I would definitely appreciate any suggestions for character build!
Once, there was a pretty little bird that was kept in a golden cage.

As was the custom in Coral, her father kept her locked away from the world. Pretending it was out of love, to protect them from the cruel world, but truly out of fear. The little bird's mother had died, so the father set his sister to care for her.

This was a cruel thing, for the sister had found a way out of the cage, to make her own way in the world. She could have hated the little bird for being dragged back, but she didn't. She took her revenge in other ways.

She told the little bird of the outside world, tales of adventure and discovery. Taught her many clever things when no one was watching. Stories of the sea and distant lands, tricksy knots, the secrets of sails, and how to swim. And, most of all, how to believe in herself.

This displeased the father, and when he found a new wife, he sent his sister away, adding cruelty to cruelty. The little bird and the new wife did not get along, and the new wife was soon busy with a small boy, so the little bird was left to raise herself for several years.

And so it was until one dark night. Enemies of her father came to kidnap his new son, but when they came the little bird had managed to hide him and his mother behind a stout door, and had thrown the key into a well. She may not have liked her father's new family, but she was brave.

The men debated killing her, then decided to take her instead. They knew her father loved her - even if he showed it in strange ways. So they bound her and dragged her to their ship.

They were hard men, and beat and threatened her, saying they would slit her throat or sell her in the South if her father did not give them what they wanted. But the men did not want to be bothered with caring for her either. The little bird cleverly did everything she could to make herself seem harmless, and did small chores and cooking for them. So they let her have the run of the ship. She was only a girl, after all.

The little bird bided her time. She built her strength. And when her chance came, she took it.

Calibration had come, and with it a terrible storm. The men cursed her, blamed her for their misfortune, but were too busy to punish her, and she hid below. When she judged the moment right, that the storm was at its worst and the men thus distracted, she stole on deck.

The ship rolled wildly with the waves, and the sky was black, save for sudden bolts of lightning. The little bird knew she should have been afraid, but instead she was entranced. She had never seen something like this, never truly been outside. She knew then she could never let herself be put back into a cage - she'd sooner die.

Then a flash of lightning revealed something, in the distance. An island, rising out of the storm tossed sea. But one of the men saw her in that light as well. He grabbed her, shouting. The little bird grabbed the man's knife from his belt and cut his hand, making him drop her. She ran to the rail, and looked over her shoulder. Other men had noticed. They would kill her for this, for the storm and her defiance - or worse, they would lock her away so tightly she would never be free again.

So the little bird took flight.

Over the rail and into the grey ocean. The shock of hitting the water almost did her in, but she fought her way back to the surface. The lightning revealed that the ship had been already been borne too far to reach. Perhaps she should have despaired, but she was ecstatic. She was free.

And then the sea came for her. The men had been bad enough, but the ocean was a more terrible foe still, more determined to drag her down into its depths than any of her other captors. But the little bird refused. She had not escaped one prison to be dragged into another. All night she struggled and swam, aiming for the land she had seen in that flash of light.

Eventually the wind slackened, and the clouds began to part. And in the gray light, the little bird saw that the island was there... but that, already exhausted, hurting in every part of her, she would have to fight current and the pounding surf to reach it.

She did not give up. Even though it was impossible, she began to swim for the shore. As she did, a beam of sunlight fell upon her. Suddenly, she felt strength flowing back into her tired limbs, breath coming back into her starved lungs.

The little bird walked out of the sea and onto the beach, alive, free. Something burned on her forehead, and a voice spoke in her mind, though she could not hear it clearly, not yet. Uncertain what to do, she set off down the beach.

As she rounded a head, she saw something that sent her hiding. The ship. It had made it through the storm, and come into a cove for repairs. They surely thought her dead. But the island was a tiny thing. If they stayed for any length of time, they would find her. She needed to get away. She could not risk swimming again, and could not take the ship, or sail it alone even if she could. There were smaller boats aboard, though. And she still had the knife...

The little bird made her through the sparse trees toward the ship. There were a few of the small boats pulled up on the sand, caught in the weak light as the sun began to break through the clouds. If she timed it right, she could take one and escape into the darkness before they could catch her. If. It was not to be, for as she watched, she heard a sound behind her, and turned to find one of the men, in armor and with his sword.

A little bird with a stolen knife should have been no match for him. Yet still she flew at him, driven by her fury and her newfound strength. As she charged heedlessly forward, the sun broke fully through the clouds. The voice, half-heard, became enormous. It told her she had been Chosen. Told her to use her powers for a righteous cause. Told her to change the world. She was Exalted. And then she struck the man, the strength of the Unconquered Sun behind her.

In time she left the island, leaving behind a row of shallow graves and a stout ship secured and anchored in the cove. The small boat she sailed out was enough. Enough to find her aunt, to prove her skill and that her gift was real.

Aboard her aunt's ship she learned to master wind and wave. She journeyed to strange lands, met stranger people. She never stopped longing to go further, to see more, to taste freedom again. She learned to harness the power she had been given, and had many adventures. She never forgot the cage she had grown up in, and everywhere she went, she sought to break open the bars when she found others. And the cage builders grew to fear her, while those who sought the horizon came to love her.

In time, she found more like her. More blessed by the sun. And she went with them, as their compass, to lead them through the storm, to their destinies.

Because she was the Sparrow Who Rode the Storm to Freedom.

---------

How the Sparrow Found Her Sword

While she was still with Auntie Yue, the Stormrider began to have dreams of a strange island, far out in the West, and of a white ship sailing near it. The dreams were vivid. Finally, she spoke of them to her aunt, who said they must be visions.

After careful study, Sparrow and her aunt set a course towards the setting sun. For days they sailed, beyond the reach of the charts. And there it was, the strange island, alone in the vastness. They anchored in a cove while they planned their next action. But Sparrow felt something drawing near.

The next morning it appeared. The white ship. It was something ancient, powerful. It was fallen into disrepair but still beautiful. They immediately gave chase. For ten days and ten nights the Stormrider chased her quarry, until at last something in the timeworn vessel gave out and they closed to board her.

They found it crewed by the hungry dead and decaying servitors, captained by a half-mad god. The fight was as hard as the journey, but the Stormrider was undaunted. She shattered the crew, then in single combat slew the captain, though it broke two swords with the terrible weapon it wielded.

In the ship's holds they found treasure, accumulated over ages and from all over Creation. But for her portion, Sparrow took only the sword, Fate Defying Virtue. For, long ago, it had been her sword. This had been her ship. And it had been following her final orders - to sweep the seas of brigands and rebels.

They scuttled the white ship. Sparrow watched it slip beneath the waves as they sailed East. Ship and crew had kept to their duty, long after they had lost track of friend or foe. It had been right that she had put an end to it. And with her daiklave in hand, she would put right much more.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 15, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

New to Exalted but a pirate's life is the life for me!

Alara "Dragon's Breath" Zutann

What's that? You haven't heard of "Dragon's Breath" Zutann?! The fearsome pirate that was blessed by the gods? Well, luckily for you, you're talking to her! It's fine, it's fine. I just get to tell you my story!

I was a mere sailor's daughter in the small town of Port Tortuga, quickly swayed to the life of a criminal. The stuff is not as important. I started out merely prowling around Tortuga, small-time criminal stuff, robberies and pickpocketing. But then one day, I had to face a decision that would change my life forever. You see, two ships happened to dock in old Tortuga. One was a merchant ship filled with countless treasures. The other was a slaver ship filled with poor innocent souls destined for eternal servitude. My honor compelled me to help the slaves, but that treasure would have been the windfall I needed to get out of Tortuga and onto the seas. But I couldn't do both, neither of the ships would be docked for long enough, and I'd make too much of a scene. I eventually had to go with my conscience and free the slaves.

The ship was guarded to the rafters, but I managed to release about half the payload before I found myself cornered by several guards. Despite this, I steadfastly refused to give up. Just then, something awakened in me. I could get out of this. I could free all these innocent souls. I could also fulfill my destiny as a thief. I acted. My feet were like feathers as I dodged my would-be captors, making my way through the rest of the ship to free everyone else and use their numbers to overpower everyone on board. Spurring the now free men into action, we stormed the merchant ship, plundered it of all its riches, and each fled the city with our lion's share. I found my way to the neighboring port town where I used my share to buy a small ship and finally set off for the open seas.

And now? I'm a legend! Learning the firewand, hobnobbing with minor gods, having word of my deeds spoken in every port! But I realized that I couldn't go forever on my own. So now I'm a part of this crew, with others touched by the gods like me! Let's go and make some history!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 12, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
What's this I hear? You need a captain?

Tya Ahava
(Work in progress, missing charms)

Call my Ahava, captain of the Prisca. You come on my ship, you come for treasure. Pearls, gold, jewels, ancient relics. You'll get your fair share. But above all else, you come on my ship, you help me find the Ivory Whale.

That accursed blight of the sea ate my parents when we were diving for pearls. Then she came for me. She got close, bit off the lower half of my left leg. Then the sun broke out behind the clouds. I grabbed the harpoon my father always used and shoved it into one of the tusks of that monstrous thing. The harpoon shattered but I had cracked one of the tusks. Then I wrapped the net around the tusk and clinged on as hard as I could. The Ivory Whale tossed me about trying to break me off. The force only made the cracks worse, and the tip of the tusk went flying off with me on it. The Whale roared, and for a single moment I could feel she glaring at me. She left, but we both knew it wasn't over.

The Tya found me by the sun shining on my forehead, stopped me from bleeding out. To say they made me one of them sounds cruel, but the truth is I would have died without them. And I was grateful to have family again. Then the dreams came on the first day of Calibration. The Tya have always been loyal to their family, though they suspected I was insane. But they followed me to an island which rose out of the sea. Trapped in the middle was the golden ship herself, Prisca. The dreams continued for one more night of the Ivory Whale. Of the time before our deaths. Of the time before her corruption. We're linked, me and her. And I'll kill her if it's the last thing I do.

Come with me if you dare. The risk are high, but life will be dull without danger. And don't worry 'bout the peg leg. The broken tusk handles the land just as well as the sea.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 12, 2016

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor
Sorry 'bout breaking up the lady-train but

Jal Takrin

Tell us a bit about yourself, Jal
A rather mousy young man, his clothing obviously once pressed and proper but now torn and stained, pauses and collects his thoughts before responding. “I grew up in the Satrapy to a poor family, but they scrimped and starved to give me a future; I learned my numbers from a nun of the Immaculate Order serving in the slums, one of the most humble and noble individuals I’ve ever met. I don’t know whether I actually had any natural talent or not, but Sesus Lela saw something in me and found me a position working for the local governor as an accountant; I’ll always be grateful for her kindness.”

“I was there at Delhat for seven years before it all went wrong. The governor was a fan of archaeology and occasionally authorized digs in the ruins underneath the town. I was typically there to categorize and record what was found. Typically it was some old pottery, perhaps a trinket from a bygone era. An interesting diversion, and a much better vice than others I have witnessed. This time looked to be nothing different.”

“The governor, a few other servants, and I entered the unearthed chamber carefully, as usual, only to find…something else. There were defenses which activated, sealing the passage behind us and dousing our lights. And we weren’t alone down there. I don’t know exactly what happened with the others, except that they never made it out. I only survived because I Exalted, and even then I didn’t prevail by force of arms; I…bargained my way out. Not sure still with who, or what.”

“I knew I couldn’t stay; once I got out, I started to run and haven’t looked back yet. I’d been trying to lay low, staying for a day or two at a time with different friends and acquaintances, but that changed when the first assassin showed up. I can’t say why anyone would want to kill me, but let me say this: they’re sure trying. Managed to scape, if barely, and down an arm. I tried doing some research, after, and apparently the entire town of Delhat was destroyed. Anathema, they said, and increased funding for the Hunt. I don’t believe that for a second.”

“I’m not going to lie—I’m more running away than running towards anything; I know that piracy, or what have you, isn’t ‘safe’—but I also know that I’d not be alone. And, to be frank, I don’t know if I can spend too much longer skulking around instead of using my gifts the way they’re supposed to be used.”

Briefing on Jal Takrin
Clearance Level: Top Secret

Jal Takrin’s primary alias is The Veil of Sorrows, the leader of a spy ring that stretches across the entirety of the West. Curiously, there is no name for his organization; those few spy cells which have been identified and brought in for questioning have been oddly silent, even after they have broken. Even after volunteering all other possible information requested, a suspected member caught red-handed will refuse to acknowledge even the existence of an organization, giving the most strained of excuses instead.

Because of this, what little is known of the goals of Veil’s organization must be inferred from their observed actions and modus operandi. Primarily, cells of the organization focus on information gathering and the development of close ties with locals, both in government and without.

Of particular note, in several cases agents have engaged in what can only be called social justice missions. No less than twice, there have been instances where the desperately poor unexpectedly found their oppressors running afoul of the justice system, whether conventional or not.

Extreme care should be taken when confronting a suspected agent; others have been known to inexplicably exhibit bursts of frankly superhuman ability under duress. In fact, this characteristic is one of the best ways of identifying agents.

If the whereabouts of Jal are ever ascertained, or a solid lead is found, DO NOT CONFRONT. Contact your immediate supervisor, who will contact their supervisor, who will authorize a strike team. This is for your own protection—not that Jal has particularly strong combat capability, but because several previous teams have [REDACTED]

Clearance Level: Ultra

WARNING. UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS DETECTED. SERVITORS HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED—DO NOT RESIST AND YOUR INTERROGATION WILL BE SWIFT AND MERCIFUL.

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 13, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Tiger Who Roars His Defiance

The Tiger, staring in his origin story...The Lost Treasure of Imoga Island!

Imoga Island had long been free of the horrors that had visited most other isles of the Southwest. Between the isle's innocuous look and it's fierce protectors, lead by a man claiming to be a former member of the Immaculate Order, life in Imoga was simplistic. Or, that is, until the dread pirate, Ten-Dead Shark, came! The man who would be The Tiger was, then, merely just another warrior, training hard when he had to, relaxing hard when he didn't have to. When Ten-Dead Shark took the villagers hostage, he lay his weapons down and was taken alive in shame to spare their lives.

Ten-Dead Shark came to the otherwise worthless island with not just a plan, but an obsession - for he had spent his life searching after a long lost treasure of the First Age! Here, he believed - no, knew! - he would find it. He just needed workers - and, with the village held by blade and chain, those warriors, still lead by their former monk, volunteered for the job. The man who would be The Tiger was amongst their number - and indeed, volunteered to take the lead. When an ancient temple in forbidden jungles was found it was he who stood first to venture in and find the treasure - and it was he who could not shake fearful feelings of familiarity with the temple.

He would not be the man who would become The Tiger Who Roars His Defiance for much longer. He entered the jungle, surrounded by pirates, sea-dogs, and buccaneers, a mortal. He emerged from the jungle alone, sword in hand, golden.

Imoga Island knew the words of the Immaculate Order. They knew the word "Anathema." But The Tiger was from them, and was one of them, and had saved them. The Tiger knew they struggled with the decision - and knew in his heart that they would not kill him or give him up, and that the Immaculate Order would have to come and burn the entire village to take him. And so he decided to spare them, and left. He told few; one of the girls of the village he had started to grow serious about, the elderly village leader, and his sifu, the former monk who seemed to never age. The latter decided to go with him, surprisingly - The Tiger was worried they would if anything have to fight! - claiming he was a former monk and did not hold himself to all teachings of the Order any longer, and that The Tiger would need someone older to keep him out of trouble.

And so The Tiger Who Roars His Defiance left Imoga Island to become a pirate. Armed with a sword that had always been his, blessed armor taken from Ten-Dead Shark, a sense of pride, a lust for freedom, and a burning need to show the world that good could still stand, h searched for those his sifu, Domino Twice-Hanged, had told him about. For there are others golden from the sun - and they will need a sword.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 26, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Unmovable Object" Kadriss, Mercenary Bodyguard

So, you heard of Fizhka island? From the look on your face I guess that's a no. Can't blame ya, it's a rock in the middle of nowhere, south of the Coral Archipelago. It's a poor place, with hardy people who struggle with their lack of resources. The trees give weak lumber, the mountains had no minerals, the fishes are far too deep within the sea, the only animals lurking around were small rodents. In such a place I grew, learning how to take the most from less. But I never actually liked that situation, to see my people and myself having so little to live while the travelers who stopped by the island were wealthy and healthy, so I left on one of the several ships that passed through Fizhka, a merchant ship that headed to Brightwork. I found a job there as a ship lookout, and to be honest I guess I was lucky enough not to have just been sold as a slave as soon as we left.

Then of course a few days later a Pirate ship came and attacked us. The crew was unprepared and without enough weapons, and they were easily overpowered. As one of them singled me out and ran towards me, sword in hand, I tried to tackle him, only for a bright light to burst from my forehead. I noticed the guy I knocked out was dead in the floor, his spine broken, and the others were screaming and trying to attack me, only to break their weapons upon my body, and their skulls upon their fists. It was then that I found out about my Exaltation, and decided to start a new line of work. From ship lookout I became a mercenary, protecting people who payed for the privilege of having a Solar watching their backs, and started sending the money back to my folks at the Island, and ended up even getting enough money to buy this ancient armor from a thankful scavenger who I helped explore a shipwreck that dated from the First Age.

And... That's pretty much my story. But yeah Boss/Captain, you hiring?

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 14, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Anton McMartin

There is a forgotten cabin deep in the lower floors of the ship. Well, at least a large part of the crew wished it were forgotten. But alas, the cabin of loremaster McMartin was hard to miss, what with the eldritch writings upon the floors and beams in the corridors leading there, scribbled in fluorescent fonts sharply angular enough to give the impression they were trying to stab your corneas just for the temerity of looking at them, or the rune-inscribed bone-charms hanging everywhere, gently swaying and occasionally clacking against each other as the ship rocked on the waves. Nor was the man himself easy to miss either, the multitude of charms, glowing potions and other mysterious paraphernalia hanging from his person a dead giveaway, not to mention that baleful brand covering the right side of his face, or his silly hat. Not that anybody, within the crew at least, would dare call it silly, at least not when the man himself was in presence. For many, many rumours and superstitions surrounded the loremaster amongst the rank and file. Don't invoke a glare from ol' McMartin they say, his evil eye is sure to give you cataracts! Beware the scowl of ol' McMartin they say, or scurvy will claim your teeth! Make sure not to sit on ol' McMartin's favorite chair in the mess they say, you're sure to be stricken with impotence! And certainly, the man's near constant low muttering to himself, as well as his generally irate and spiteful demeanor did not help these beliefs.

But to be fair to Anton, he is not quite as bad as his reputation holds him to be. Certainly, whilst perfectly capable of the things described, he was not a man liable to spitefully punish his allies. No, his anger was reserved... almost exclusively to those he felt deserving, the occasional overtly punitive jinx nonwithstanding. The various mutterings too were mostly mnemonic exercises to press various arcane esoteria into memory. Indeed, perhaps even his disagreeable mannerisms could be forgiven, well, at least partially, if one knew why he was on a pirate ship in the first place. See, he was not always this way. There was a time when a smile occasionally adorned his face, a time when he might have offered his fellow men a greeting instead of an irritated grunt. A time when Anton McMartin was known as a scholar and expert in the matters of the occult. A time before the Immaculate Inquisition.

Alas, those days are past, and now the mark upon his face brands him a pariah amongst polite society. Now, Anton was always very much aware that his activities might have been skirting the limits of legality and good taste. But he and the local inquisitorial office had always had a tacit understanding of sorts. He was allowed to indulge in his research and his passion, peddle his skills, commune with spirits that more... stringent readings of the holy word might have deemed 'evil', in return of borrowing the clergy his expertise when necessary. But then the old High Inquisitor died, and newer, considerably more zealous flame took his place. Flame, which immediately decided that Anton and his work were examples of heresy most foul. And so he was captured, his face forever branded. His life's work put to the torch. His person exiled from the city he once called home, forced to find employment elsewhere, and eventually ending up as the arcana expert of a pirate ship of all things, forced to scavenge and hunt for scraps of the magical knowledge he once had. Indeed, the only reason he is even still alive, the only thing keeping the swords of fanatics at bay, is probably the Exalted mark that found its way on his forehead during the first night of his exodus. A cruel joke of fate, or so he reasons, for such a mark to find itself on him of all people. For many others, a marker of great potential and a bright future. For ol' McMartin, nothing but a spiteful reminder of all that had been taken from him, just a brand of another sort.

So yes. He does have some right to be grumpy.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 15, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Praxa Zlin

There was, of course, no slavery in the city of Nexus. The Council was quite proud of that. However, the city state of Nexus controlled a good amount of land outside of the city as well....

Not too far from the city there sat a plantation, one of the biggest in the area. It's efforts, and the efforts of the many slaves who labored there, were dedicated into producing Swamp Rice, the cheap, and plentiful food on which the poor in Nexus subsisted. It produced so much rice that the Guildmaster who owned the plantation claimed, with some justification, to be the man who fed the city of Nexus. On this plantation, among others, lived a young slave named Praxa, who was the foreman of the slave gangs. Farming swamp rice was dirty and dangerous work. The shoots of rice grew among brambles which scratched, and were cut off with sharp scythes which could, if the user was careless, sever a limb just as easily, and the poor sanitary conditions meant that wounds were infected easily. In addition, the bad air in the rice fields led to consumption and lung rot. It was, for the lack of a better word, a miserable life for the slaves. Praxa pondered his fate, and knew that he had to make a change. Finding others who felt like he did, they met secretly and plotted, every night, fearful they would be found out. Finally, the day arrived. The slaves rose up, burning down the plantation, and slaughtering the inhabitants. Then, they scattered, running for freedom.

Such effrontery would not be tolerated by the Guild and the Confederation, and the escaped slaves were hunted down and killed in many gruesome ways. Praxa himself barely escaped with his life, being cornered by four slave catchers. He decided then that, if he had to die, he would die fighting. As they closed in on him, he got a splitting headache, and light like that of the setting sun shone around him. He lept at the nearest slavecatcher, moving so fast that even he couldn't believe it. Wrenching the spear from the other man, he cracked the haft of the spear over other's skull, then impaled a second man. The other two slavecatchers took off running, and he ran in the opposite direction.

Praxa realized he would have to get out of the Riverlands. He had no idea what had just happened, but knew that he would still be hunted. Making his way to Port Calin, he signed on to a free trader heading west. The captain, desperate for men, because the skilled sailors were all on guildships, was happy to have him on board. The time he spent on the ship was some of the happiest of his life. The work was hard, but not anywhere near as hard as on the plantation, and he was a free man. He picked up sailing fairly quickly and soon proved himself a valuable member of the crue. This all ended when the storm came.

The storm came up from of nowhere. One minute, it was sunny with a nice breeze, and the next minute sheets of rain were being blown sideways. The Captain was skillful and the crew brave, but no skill or bravery could save the sails from being torn to shreds by the wind, or save the mast from the lightning strike that hit it. Praxa stood on the burning deck, crying out defiance at the Gods, and calling on the spirits of water and the Storm Mothers of the Western Ocean to save the ship. He cursed her, he tried to charm and bargain with her, but still, the ship started taking on water, and in spite of the best efforts of the crew, foundered, and sank beneath the waves, and, though he clung to life as best he could, trying desperately to stay afloat, the sea took Praxa along with the rest of the crew.

Praxa awoke to find himself under the waves. The Storm Mother Lakara had, for some reason, fallen in love with him. Perhaps his attempts to charm her had worked after all, but more likely, she fell in love with the fire and the passion of his heart and saw the piece of the Sun inside of him, so rare in her watery domain. She kept him alive, nursed him to health, and guided him. It was she who introduced him to the Elemental Lord Barhanas, Count of Sharks. He was tested by Lord Barhanas, tested in strange and dark ways, and found worthy to learn the mysteries of sorcery.

And this is how things stand for Praxa Zlin. He is a Solar Exalted, feared and hated by the Realm. The Guild wants him dead. And, for his own safety, he travels as a pirate and adventurer, along with likeminded Solars who are all fleeing for their own reasons. And he couldn't be happier. For he's free now. Free from masters, free to work for his own good. The Solars ruled Creation before, or so say the stories. Perhaps they can again, and sweep away the injustices of the world; the Guild, the corrupt city of Nexus, where nothing but cash rules, the Realm, sitting bloated and stupid in the center of Creation. He's going to try, at least. If he fails, if he dies, then so be it. At least then he will die a free man, on his feet, and not a slave on his knees.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 15, 2016

jetnerd
Aug 13, 2016
Jiggins

"Wait, wait, wait... you guys don't mean to tell me that you believe I'm the one who sold you out, right?"

The only reply was the sound of weapons being drawn and cudgels being hefted as the room full of recently escaped criminals began to close in on their target. A quick scan of the room told Jiggins that he wasn't going to make it more than five feet if he ran, and he'd make it even less trying to fight over twenty assailants. He swore to himself if he ever escaped this mess he'd personally find the dog that double-crossed him in the first place and stab him in the neck. Problem with promises like that are they don't do much good if a man is too dead to carry them out.

"C'mon, go down like the rat you are and spare us all some trouble," the biggest thug said, moving in closer with his sword. The whole group took a few shuffling steps closer in response to this movement. There was hatred in their eyes, but a great deal of hesitation as well. Sometimes it pays to have rumors that inflate others' opinions of you, and it always pays to be lucky at the right time. Luck wasn't going to save Jiggins from a room full of thugs, but drat him if he would go down without a fight. He reached a hand into his cloak and smiled as the men closest to him took a step back in response, then drew out a hooked sword, and a fan, which he proceeded to slowly spread before him. There was a pause as his assailants processed what he had done, which quickly turned to laughter as they stared incredulously.

Taking advantage of the distraction Jiggins darted forward and swept a man's weapon aside with his fan and brought his sword around behind the man's feet, slicing the hamstring then throat as he fell. He had just stepped inside the guard of the next foe when the men regained their focus and began to move in to kill him. The next few minutes stretched on as he dodged, diverted, and ducked under sword swings and mace blows that left wooden beams in splinters and the stones of the floor shattered. He fought desperately, disarming, maiming, or avoiding the flurry of attacks aimed at him but he could feel his strength flagging, and the leader of the criminals had organized his men to cut off the path Jiggins had been attempting to clear toward the exit. He took a few steps back and looked around gauge his situation.

Looking up, he saw a flash from the edges of his vision and turned in time to see a bowman loose an arrow at him from a raised walkway across the building. His dodge was late and he yelled in pain as an arrow took him through the calf. The other men were on him in seconds, and he found himself unable to fend off their renewed assault. A missed block here, a slice across his ribcage, and suddenly he was on his face after a cudgel took him across the brow. Blood flowed from his head and blinded him in one eye, and as he rolled over he saw the leader of the crooks standing above him blade raised, about to finish him off. The man stood there, his face mirroring his feelings of triumph and hatred. Jiggins raised a hand to fend off the blow and found the world was growing strangely bright, or rather, he was growing strangely bright. A rush of energy ran through him and he found that the pain of his injuries was receding and the expressions of the men around him were morphing from triumphant leers to shocked and frightened stares.

"By the five dragons, do you see that? He's one of them, a demon, an..a-anathema!" one of the men cried, dropping his weapon and turning tail. Several of the others followed, though a few of them tightened their grip on their weapons and began to move in once more, suppressing their fear. Jiggins moved through them as though they were moving through tar, fighting in slow motion. Each of them fell, limp as a ragdoll as he knocked them unconscious. Free of foes he began walking toward the door when he heard the twang of a bowstring as an archer loosed an arrow at his back. Turning he swept his fan through the air and caught the arrow in its currents, redirecting it toward its sender. The man fell to the ground, arrow lodged firmly in his knee.

jetnerd fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 15, 2016

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Expressing interest. I've got a character sheet done, working on a post nao.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Expressing interest.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Expressing interest.

I try to hammer out a concept in the next couple days.

EDIT: The Monk Who Chases Death

TheCog fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 18, 2016

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Now that I'm through the crazy first week of nursing school I can settle into making this character.

My high concept is "Like Ursula, but with less evil." In other words, charismatic sorceress with a specialty in wheeling-and-dealing and maritime occult lore. Combat-wise, the plan is to use the Silver-Voiced Nightingale style to bolster the other exalts and any summoned minions brought to force. She brings social, performative, and assorted magical (slash demonic) tools to non-combat endeavors and, hopefully, bantery wit to every situation.

Prototype character sheet. If I should be picked, I'm comfortable tweaking the character sheet to fill holes within the general purview of my high concept. I noticed there was another sorcerer application, but I don't think it would be too difficult to not step on each other's toes with said tweaks!

I have a fairly firm idea of where I want to go with the backstory, but I'm getting it checked before I do a write up. If all goes well, I'm going to look at writing a short sea shanty outlining the high points, posted by tonight.

EDIT: That was stupidly ambitious of me. Tomorrow night. Posted by tomorrow night. I wanna run stuff by Magnusth first.

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 20, 2016

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Closing apps Friday.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Bleh, I have most of a character concept written out, but I think I'm going to have to bow out, not enough writing time to write all the things I want to.

Sorry

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Melodiously Purring Jade Cat

-----

A frantic knocking on the door awoke him from his slumber. Visitors? At this time of night? He quickly made himself decent and ran to the door of his small cottage. The man knocking nearly fell over as the door swung open. Jade Cat had to resist a sharp intake of breath as he saw why this man was in a hurry: he was half-carrying, half-dragging a man who was nearly dead. It was a miracle in itself that he had survived this long, judging by the numerous bloody gashes covering his body. Motioning the man in, he hurried to his table and swept off everything, making quite the ruckus as everything hit the floor.

"Here! Lay him down. I have some equipment, but I'm not sure..." And there the man was, on his table faster than he could finish. After more closely examining the man, Jade Cat liked the situation even less. Too much blood had been lost and the man's friend had been too rough in his haste to get him here. Plus, he wasn't even sure he had enough light to work by. This was bad.

"Heard you was a doctor. Can you help my friend?" Even though the man was half-covered in his friend's blood it was obvious by looking at him that he was crying. There had to be something Jade Cat could do. He looked again at the patient and steadied himself. His resolve hardened as he made to start his procedure....and then the world exploded into light and he was being shown....something. A voice echoed in his soul, telling him why he was chosen. When he came to seconds later, he knew how to help this man on the table. Using his newfound power in addition to his own medical expertise, he performed his fist surgery as an exalt.

What he didn't notice was the man who brought in the near-cadaver running out the door. What he did notice was the arrow crash through the window and fly by his head. He heard angry cries coming from the direction the arrow had been fired from. Looked like it was time to go. He'd heard stories of what happened to those found to be what he now knew (or suspected he knew) himself to be. Diving out a back window, he ran until he could run no further. As he stopped to catch his breath, he took stock of his situation. He would have to make it on the lamb somehow. He'd need new tools-he'd left all of his behind in his haste to not get captured. Probably shouldn't stay in one place too long....he'd have to keep on the move.

It wasn't so bad, he thought. Always wanted to travel. Now he just had a reason to.
-----

"That's my story. So what do you say? Need a combination cook/doctor? I've heard every ship needs those, and someone who can do both just means one less crewman to split the share with, right? I promise to keep us all fixed up from all the adventurin' we'll be doin AND provide the best grub ever gobbled down on a boat!"

-----
For reference's sake, I'm new to PbP and 3rd ed Exalted, but not to Exalted in general.
EDIT: Dunno if you've already looked, but I forgot to change his caste. He's meant to be a Zenith, not a Dawn.

Kooriken fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 25, 2016

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

PICKS! ARE! AT! HAAAAND!

So! the crew of your wonderfull ship will consist of!
The Sparrow who rode the storm to freedom, navigator and captain(?) who sails seas of creation like birds fly in the sky.
Alera 'Dragon's Breath' Zutaan, pirate with a heart of gold and master of the Righteous Devil Style.
The tiger who roars his defiance Adventurous swordsman who seeks exitement and the joys of life
Anton McMartin, your branded and bitter loremaster and hexweaver extraordinare.
Praxa ziln weather-sorcerer, friend to the gods of storm, and sorcerer-king to be.
And Jiggins, double-crossed criminal turned mostly peaceful crane-stylist, and their magical crane.

The game thread will go up MONDAY
Untill then, i want you to figure out the basics of charecter relations and interactions, and if you need to rejigger the sheets, now's the time. Especially praxa and anton.
Krysm's sheet was unfinished and the replied to me too late, so we're without a propper captain. Gorebash has the best charms for that kind of thing, but you also need to decide if Sparrow is the captain propper, or just the first mate and navigator.
Your crew is Command two, followers one.

Your ship, the [you name it], is a marvelous first age artifact - a folding ship! It's a quick, but golden pirate yacht, plated with an alloy of blue jade that, while in the water, is as light as wood. When it is folded up, it looks like an unextraordinary but expensive hankerchief.

Looking forwarsd to it

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Right, here are some quick initial character opinions and possible points to start figuring our relationships from. Everything here is subject to change.

Anton McMartin

quote:

The Sparrow who rode the storm to freedom, navigator and captain(?) who sails seas of creation like birds fly in the sky.

"Yeess, our esteemed captain. The wayward scion of some noble or other, kidnapped away from a life of her oh so oppressive luxury (at least if you listen to her. I cannot help but feel expressly unsympathetic towards those suffering from the blight of material fortune), now spending her time in service of aimless wanderings and lofty ideals."

"But still. This is her ship. And she did give me shelter and work when my circumstances required them, even if only because she needed an arcanist."

"Yes, I suppose I do owe her, as grating as she can occasionally be."

OOC: Right, I assume Anton would be somewhat dismissive of Sparrow's aristocratic upbringing, and find her mannerisms somewhat grating. Nevertheless she gave him work and is probably the one he's most likely to take directions from.

quote:

Alera 'Dragon's Breath' Zutaan, pirate with a heart of gold and master of the Righteous Devil Style.

"I suppose every crew needs a pretty face, yes. Even though I would personally have preferred one less vapid than this one. A waif of staggering naïveté who runs around on fool's errands making a ruckus. An annoyance but one I suppose I have to live with."

OOC: Old man yells at cloud! Alera is brash, fairly carefree and with a positive disposition whilst Anton is a bitter dude who rarely leaves his cabin. Opposites do not attract, at least in his case.

quote:

The tiger who roars his defiance, Adventurous swordsman who seeks exitement and the joys of life

"Hrmh, another foolish child running around on poorly defined agendas. Lacking in wits and lacking in understanding, and unlike the other one, isn't pretty enough to look at to partially make up for it."

OOC: Anton would probably find Tiger grating in the same vein as Alera. However, he might be somewhat sympathetic of the whole 'driven away from your home because some rear end in a top hat came by and ruined everything' thing.

quote:

Praxa ziln, weather-sorcerer, friend to the gods of storm, and sorcerer-king to be.

"A colleague in the arts is always good to have, even if our disciplines differ. Even one who never really worked for what they have and was given the knowledge I've worked for my entirely life by fluke and whimsy of the spirits. And then has the temerity to consider themselves a sorcerer king. Bah."

OOC: A colleague! Somebody that Anton can get into the nitty gritty of his obsession with. However, there is likely to be some lingering resentment and looking down on him from Anton's part due to feeling Praxa has not really 'earned' his magical aptitude. Also feels Praxa thinks himself too important.

quote:

Jiggins, double-crossed criminal turned mostly peaceful crane-stylist, and their magical crane.

"A thief on the run from those who chase him on false premises? Reminds me of myself, disregarding the fact that I was a part of the community instead of some street rat. But still, close enough."

OOC: Anton is likely to view Jiggins as a common criminal, but sees similarities between their respective exiles and cannot but feel somewhat sympathetic.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

I don't judge another's circumstances. Even if she came from elegant surroundings, a person can be trapped there too.

She freed slaves, so that's a point in her favor. She did it for her own ends, but still....people act for their own ends, so I can't blame her too much for that.

The tiger who roars his defiance Adventurous swordsman who seeks excitement and the joys of life

A little foolish, a little reckless. The sea is good for that. If he lives, he'll gain wisdom

A little arrogant, but skilled, and another skilled in the arts of magic could be useful

And Jiggins, double-crossed criminal turned mostly peaceful crane-stylist, and their magical crane.

He may call himself peaceful, but his hands and feet are weapons. Deserves watching.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

To break the bonds of one's fate and challenge the world...how grand! I wouldn't serve under anyone else!

quote:

She's very good with her firewands, incredibly beautiful, and humble to boot!

quote:

The tiger who roars his defiance Adventurous swordsman who seeks exitement and the joys of life

Ah, now this guy I can have a good time with! Are you sure we haven't had a drink together sometime in the past?

quote:

BORING OLD MAN. Please stop ruining my fun, good sir! Go back to your studies!

quote:

Praxa ziln weather-sorcerer, friend to the gods of storm, and sorcerer-king to be.

If your magic is so great, how come you haven't put it into a gun yet? But I appreciate the good sun.

quote:

Martial arts? Sorry, not for me. You don't even get cool weapons!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sparrow Who Rode the Storm to Freedom

Magnusth posted:

I heard of her reputation, and I knew we were destined to fight alongside each other. And so it came to be. We will do great things together, I am certain.

Magnusth posted:

The tiger who roars his defiance Adventurous swordsman who seeks exitement and the joys of life.
Bold and heedless, a true warrior. My Auntie sent him to me, a favor to his sifu. Tiger excels at getting us into trouble - but always the best sort of trouble.

Magnusth posted:

The second most sour man I have known, after my father. Anton has better claim to his disposition, at least. His knowledge and skills are a blessing. I hope his presence will become one as well.

Magnusth posted:

A man with vision, and the blessing of the sea. He and I are alike and unalike, like warped mirrors. I admire his ambition, and share his ideals, but a ship is enough of a kingdom for me.

Magnusth posted:

Jiggins, double-crossed criminal turned mostly peaceful crane-stylist, and their magical crane.
Silver tongued, gold hearted, and slippery as an eel, Jiggins is almost made of contradictions. I don't trust him an inch, but something about his sheer audacity, how openly he is what he is, endears.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 29, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Sparrow
In some ways, not so different. Our upbringings were of course very different, but I think we've come to similar positions. The 'customs' of her island are disgusting; sifu tried to warn me about the cruelty in the world beyond my island, but encountering it face to face is something else entirely. Still, we get along - it helps, I think, that I don't hold her past against her like some others here do. It also helps that sifu and Auntie get along so well - especially when they break out that disgusting alcohol and that pipe that they're only allowed to smoke outside after what happened last time with the smell. She's also an excellent sparring partner.

Dragon's Breath
To be honest, I feel like I barely know her. I've never heard of half - no, MOST of the places she's spoken of! The sort of things she does with those firewands are really impressive though!

Anton McMartin
I don't trust him. Sifu doesn't either. He's strange, mutters to himself, never even tries to befriend others. He's creepy, and I think he likes it that way. Worst, I think I've heard some of the things he mutters to himself, and I think there's a line between justice and revenge. When I took on my mark and became Exalted, I knew everything I heard about the "Anathema" was false, but when I look at him, suddenly, I'm not so sure.

Praxa
I've been told the Solars once ruled with peace and justice, a golden age of prosperity. I've been told that the rule of man now is one of pain and torment, slavery and decadence. Certainly, we should rule again. Right? But then, I've heard other stories of the First Age, warnings from my sifu. I hope he knows when he is out of order.

Jiggins
He seems the likeable type. His skill with that hooked blade of his is awfully impressive - I've never even seen weapons like that before! Or animals like his crane. Do you...do you think I can pet it?

jetnerd
Aug 13, 2016
Sparrow
A history of escaped captivity and the struggle for freedom? I understand what it's like to be backed in a corner and fight your way out, it's Sparrow that's giving me that chance now. She seems a bit wary of me, but I never expected to make friends without proving myself. The world doesn't work that way.

Dragon's Breath
The choice between personal prosperity and saving the innocent is a difficult one. I feel the bond of kinship that comes from being brought up in the criminal world. She inspires and awes with her confidence and skills, it'll be a fight worth fighting to make her an ally.

Anton McMartin
The guy looks grumpy, my jokes just seem to slide past him. If I could get him to crack a smile maybe we'd be getting somewhere, but for now I think I'll tread lightly around him. He also mutters funny things to himself, kinda weird.

Praxa
I don't know much about the guy, but I did overhear talk in the Guild about the chaos they caused at the plantations. Iv'e been close to slavery myself, I'll do all I can to help him avoid going back.

The tiger who roars his defiance
I know the least about him, but I think I like him the most. He seems like the kinda guy who has it in his nature to lend a hand. The monk he travels with doesn't seem too bad either.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Will post once I get home and have discharged my boyfriend obligations. Someone name your ship.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SoraXRiku.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

SoraXRiku.

Someone else name your boat.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Well it's captained by a pretty princess (in exile), and it is made from blue jade.

So obviously it's named Princess Jasmine (or maybe just Jasmine I dunno) :v:

Bonus points for working as an actual ship name.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I have three possible suggestions and we could pick the one we like best overall.

Azure, straightforward, references the qualities of the ship.

Emancipator, which fits for the party.

Seek the Furthest Horizon aka the Farseeker, which I just think sounds cool.

jetnerd
Aug 13, 2016

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Emancipator, which fits for the party.

Emancipator has my vote.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788404

Thread's up. Also, feel free to give yourself intimacies regarding the various relations you've built up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Also, i forgot to mention: i'd love it if y'all could hop onto #highseasadventure on irc.synirc.net. we can discuss the game there, and make everything move faster during battles and you can plan what to do, stuff like that.

• Locked thread