Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Goddamnit guess I have to watch House all over again, thanks dipshits

Started rewatching because of this thread. No regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol at house trying to attack taub to prove he can't stop random acts.

The b stories when the show focuses on characters other than house are always great. Like the chicken gambling house and Wilson were doing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wilson's "NO :byodood:" when the dog grabs his chicken is the most outwardly emotional I've heard someone get on House in a large number of episodes

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Season 8 is good, imo. Maybe too many patients having psychotic breaks on steroids, but the HD camera work and cinematography is top notch.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Parks is a much more interesting character than masters

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtvslNVRuFU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Season 8 is good, imo. Maybe too many patients having psychotic breaks on steroids, but the HD camera work and cinematography is top notch.

The episode in s8 (I think?) where a building collapses is really cool looking. I remember they used a tiny Canon something or other to film the tight spots. My photographer friend was freaking out about how cool it was that they used it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like having cuddy gone. I think that's why the beginning of season seven felt so off. Neither was gonna change. It felt really... Like they missed that mark completely

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cuddy goes the way of the guy that shot House: mentioned once to explain why she's never gonna come up again, and then she never comes up again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Did Cuddy even go to House's funeral lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Last Chance posted:

Did Cuddy even go to House's funeral lol

Nope. She straight-up just doesn't exist anymore after the last episode of season 7.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought House and Wilson's relationship was the sweetest

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
House and cuddys relationship was best when it was strained and not open. Maybe the dysfunctional nature of it is why it's so uncomfortable in the front half of season 7.

Even the whole, self effacing, house saying I'm not gonna change, and she says she doesn't want him to.

But it's a lie.

The end of season 7 with house trying to perform surgery on his own leg in his bathtub is fuckin wicked though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The friendship House and Wilson have is the rarest shiniest diamond kind of friendship there is, I can only wish I had a friend like Wilson

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The end of season 7 with house trying to perform surgery on his own leg in his bathtub is fuckin wicked though

It's like something out of a saw movie, it rules

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's weird how the most unrealistic part of the series remains the frumpy-rear end Foreman getting to nail Olivia Wilde in her physical prime.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Thought this thread was about Hausu, poo poo

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

CJacobs posted:

The friendship House and Wilson have is the rarest shiniest diamond kind of friendship there is, I can only wish I had a friend like Wilson

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
This episode had a double house epiphany

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hugh Laurie really nails the :stare: "i just had a sudden realization" stare-off-into-the-distance moment

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The end of season eight is really tugging the heart strings

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress the back half of eight is insanely good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The funniest part about Hugh Laurie is hearing that he this great comedian in Britain before being House, then you watch his old stuff and it's all screaming and goofy faces like some teatime Jim Carrey.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well I've watched all of it now.

Season 2-4 were really good. Detective Titter was awful and boring.

Season 5 and 6 were mostly made of new characters and getting to know them. The two parters and arc with Amber was excellent.

Imo the weakest part is the pilot (overly violent, weird ER tone) and the beginning of season 7 with house and cuddy being together. It felt hollow after the hallucination from the previous season.

End of season 7 was better. House's relationship with Wilson got better and better, highlighted by the episodes that followed other characters. The final team "hot woman" was completely forgettable and couldn't live up to 13. Masters felt like a way too hard veer to try and bring a Cameron character back. Chase sticking around was fantastic. Foreman as Dean was perfect, IMO.

Park was the most interesting new character at the end, but only cause of how neurotic she was and how she played off established characters like Taub and Chase.

Season 7 and 8 started to get stale on the diagnostic front. WAY too many psychotic breaks, too many hormonal issues or thyroid problems. Way too much "i feel better"... !vomits blood*

Final episodes of House were good. Not mind blowing breaking bad stuff, but good, heartfelt, well done.

I give the show 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍫

I skipped season one save for the pilot, and I guess that was the one where he talks about the three cases and the students can't solve the one that's actually about him. I already knew though so. Whatever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad we were able to share this experience together, fellow netflix user. House owns.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

mind the walrus posted:

The funniest part about Hugh Laurie is hearing that he this great comedian in Britain before being House, then you watch his old stuff and it's all screaming and goofy faces like some teatime Jim Carrey.

He was the Bob Webb to Stephen Fry's David Mitchell. The english are oddly obsessed with comedy duos, it's like limey manzai.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
House is great but why did fox mandate them to play a lovely pop song at the end of every episode...doesn't really fit the tone of the show imo

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bug Bill Murray posted:

House is great but why did fox mandate them to play a lovely pop song at the end of every episode...doesn't really fit the tone of the show imo

Um I think you're forgetting about a little song called Baba O'Reilly

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I did like how season 8 was him was getting bored by the diagnostics of his own patients and more interested in trying to keep his friend alive. He straight up abandons the practice because Wilson became his case of sorts - deep friendship was what interested him the most. It was almost like House had become human.

They did sort of sloppily make Chase the new head of diagnostics. He was sort of just there with the rest of the team until some point where they wanted him to abruptly separate himself from the herd. I'm guessing the writers got wind it was the last season around that time in season 8 and elected to have his arc end with replacing House. Like Cameron so feared.

Cameron's story never really ended though. They made her super damaged, damaged her further, have damaged break up sex. Then give her a family in the last episode - probably
with dead husband's sperm.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Houle posted:

I did like how season 8 was him was getting bored by the diagnostics of his own patients and more interested in trying to keep his friend alive. He straight up abandons the practice because Wilson became his case of sorts - deep friendship was what interested him the most. It was almost like House had become human.

They did sort of sloppily make Chase the new head of diagnostics. He was sort of just there with the rest of the team until some point where they wanted him to abruptly separate himself from the herd. I'm guessing the writers got wind it was the last season around that time in season 8 and elected to have his arc end with replacing House. Like Cameron so feared.

Cameron's story never really ended though. They made her super damaged, damaged her further, have damaged break up sex. Then give her a family in the last episode - probably
with dead husband's sperm.

Yeah Chase's literal upgrade to House could've been handled with more poignancy I think. It was kind of too heavily predicated on the coroner patient throwing a fit that Chase had it all and didn't do anything. He's the best surgeon in the hospital and nearly equal to House, but it took one guy to make that a fact? I would've liked the more full corruption theme taking root, rather than oh it's his office now.

Foreman finding house's id tag under his wobbly side table and laughing about his epiphany was loving great. Especially cause it didn't have sound, since music was playing.

They did really pull out the licensing cash for sappy songs in the last three seasons with varying degrees of success.

I really like your take on House's abandonment of his practice, that Wilson became more interesting and meaningful. People either can change or, like Cameron(?) Said, he loved in his own way.

I think Taub nailed it too, when he said House wasn't a bully : it wasn't for boosting his own ego, but expecting more from his team and people, despite his cynicism. His dad's constant disappointment was clearly a huge factor in shaping his idea of truth and rigor.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
They sort of cover the way House cares for people with the episode where Chase got stabbed. How Chase knew that House couldn't show it the conventional way but would step into the room pretending to be indifferent as a way to peek in. With how often people said House didn't care about his patients he did have a habit of popping into patients rooms when things seemed dire. It just seemed like he wanted his team to do what they could first before he came in as a last resort - considering fellowships were supposed to be about training doctors to stand on their two feet I don't think it was ever really properly addressed. Whenever a patient was going to do something that would put them in harms way in such a way that even House wouldn't be able to save them he would pay a special visit himself to ensure their safety. He put his medical license on the line several times even when he already knew the diagnostic reason why the patient was ill. Yet everyone around him seemed too dense to realize this until the last season.

That being said they did give him way too much wiggle-room and having Cuddy praised for "handling House" is a logical fallacy, at the very least. All she did was let her personal feelings for him cost the hospital much needed funding, damage millions in equipment, and divert several more than capable doctors from helping other patients with his pet projects. While House was often right to break hospital rules, Cuddy was pretty flaccid in her way to try to curb his destructiveness and channel his gifts. Foreman did a far better job in his short time there.

They also did mention Cuddy in the last episode, they also have a good reason for her not to be there - he did endanger her and her daughter. Good reason not to show up to the funeral. Even if the real reason is just that the actress didn't want to be there.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I've said it before but Lisa Edelstein has one of the greatest butts to ever grace television.

I like that episode with the guy that can't help but say what is on his mind (he was a recurring villain in Burn Notice too) and starts talking about how he wants to gently caress Thirteen, but as soon as Cuddy walks in the room he's all like HOLY poo poo Thirteen is hot but this one I would do in an instant. Also I want to have a threesome with them.

That dude was just saying what we were all thinking.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i liked how upset 13 got about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I've said it before but Lisa Edelstein has one of the greatest butts to ever grace television.

I like that episode with the guy that can't help but say what is on his mind (he was a recurring villain in Burn Notice too) and starts talking about how he wants to gently caress Thirteen, but as soon as Cuddy walks in the room he's all like HOLY poo poo Thirteen is hot but this one I would do in an instant. Also I want to have a threesome with them.

That dude was just saying what we were all thinking.

There's one moment where Cuddy bends over in a tight dress and house becomes the epitome of :stare: and 2008 me was like "yup right there with you brother"

• Locked thread