Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

km2 posted:

All right, finished a story quest and off to my Memories to unlock some skil...

... who the gently caress are you and how did you get into my head

Man, Enderal's postal service is top notch, have some coins.

By the way, how are you going to get bac...

Oh.... :smith:

lol.

Finally finished the game, me and Calia gonna chill in the lost city of the not-Dwemer and I guess ride mechanical dragons and stuff.
I have to agree w/ whoever said that the plot feels way more compelling than Skyrim, even though there are tons of loose ends like after the Veiled Woman resurrects Jerome, she tells you that letting your friend from the ship live would have meant that both of you would have ended up being killed on arrival in Enderal. Except...turns out you died anyway?

count_von_count fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

double post

count_von_count fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 7, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Anyway to bring back the pop-ups after you dismiss them? I just bought a house and got rid of the expansion tutorial before I read it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna necro this thread but I actually have a couple of questions.
Is pure night blade viable (sneak, archery, illusion, one-handed?) or would you not have enough skill points to make everything work?
Second if my other dude is a battlemage what two-handed skills should I pick up since I specced with warhammers?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stealth archer is good but illusion is underwhelming in my experience.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Do console commands work in this? Like if i wanted to boost my bagspace?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I can't believe there isn't an elementalist/thaumaturge specialty.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Captainsalami posted:

Do console commands work in this? Like if i wanted to boost my bagspace?

console commands still work

aw yeah

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Enderal's :siren:ending:siren: has 15+ minutes of a god in the machine explaining the rest of the plot with dialogue you can't skip conventionally. This is followed by a few minutes of killing recolored falmer, then a decision to either martyr yourself and let an entire continent die, or to survive and let literally everyone except one other person die. Game over. There is no boss fight with the smug Reapers High Ones that taunt you the whole game. There is no fight with the fanatical general that succeeds in butchering every innocent person you meet in Ark.

It's an anticlimax that's all performed in service of a sophomoric message about egotism, responsibility and the nature of man. I know that's the message, because the machine god states this multiple times in his unskippable monologue.

Even if I liked the writing, I feel RPGs like Enderal are all about collecting better and better gear, with the expectation that you'll be using it against a challenging final boss at the end. When there is no real final boss, it sort of nullifies the whole progression.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 15, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Even if I liked the writing, I feel RPGs like Enderal are all about collecting better and better gear, with the expectation that you'll be using it against a challenging final boss at the end. When there is no real final boss, it sort of nullifies the whole progression.

Are they? I don't really feel like this has happened with at least Bethesda RPGs since like Morrowind. In all the others you can just kinda fart your way through the main quest and then fart your way through whatever final boss there is. I don't remember the main or dlc bad guys in Skyrim being any more challenging than regular bandit chiefs meanwhile in Oblivion an NPC fights the boss for you and I don't think there was a final boss in Fallout 3 other than the silly radiation chamber of "but thou must die."

To me, these kinds of games are largely about exploration and gear progression is one of a number of factors to make exploration more interesting and involved than just having the game be a walk around simulator.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Are they? I don't really feel like this has happened with at least Bethesda RPGs since like Morrowind.

fwiw I have the same issue with the Bethesda games too. I only said it about Enderal because Nehrim had a kinda challenging (if also really goofy and broken) final boss. Besides, I wrote that post after midnight after burning through the last few hours of the game. Just dismiss it as cranky sleepyposting :tootzzz:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Gobblecoque posted:

Are they? I don't really feel like this has happened with at least Bethesda RPGs since like Morrowind. In all the others you can just kinda fart your way through the main quest and then fart your way through whatever final boss there is. I don't remember the main or dlc bad guys in Skyrim being any more challenging than regular bandit chiefs meanwhile in Oblivion an NPC fights the boss for you and I don't think there was a final boss in Fallout 3 other than the silly radiation chamber of "but thou must die."

To me, these kinds of games are largely about exploration and gear progression is one of a number of factors to make exploration more interesting and involved than just having the game be a walk around simulator.

the fallout 3 expansions at least were a kick in the teeth. point lookout monsters had an innate unblockable 30 damage added on to their attacks so rip you if you didn't have god armor

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man, the endgame was really good (other than the usual Enderal thing where it keeps turning off your controls and vomiting words at you) but not at all the thing to play on a day where I'm already feeling more depressed than usual. This was never going to have a happy ending, huh :(

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Man, the endgame was really good (other than the usual Enderal thing where it keeps turning off your controls and vomiting words at you) but not at all the thing to play on a day where I'm already feeling more depressed than usual. This was never going to have a happy ending, huh :(

I just finished the game yesterday and I feel the same way. I have heard that they might release a third ending choice in a DLC, but yeah its pretty bleak as is. Overall I think it was amazing, especially being free and made by volunteers. I cannot believe how much work they put into the custom locations used for the main quest. The game is crazy pretty.

edit - I don't like the controls being taken away from me, especially when its not for any specific purpose. Let me run around the room like a spaz while they are talking at-least.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 18, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah, I can think of plenty of huge issues with the writing and pacing and so on - loads of daft plot contrivances and idiot balls, clumsy philosophy, at least three Deus Ex Machinas wandering around at any given time, the army of euphoric dudes showing up to enlighten everyone with their intelligence in a rather weird and distracting way - but it feels a little churlish to nitpick what turned out to be an excellent end product for a free fan project... other than when they make you fall over and listen to the more egregious nonsense for ten minutes at a time, which is definitely a problem, but hey. I ended up really enjoying going through the main quest as it picked up steam, got surprisingly attached to the characters and their struggle and was sad to see them go.

Need to go back and explore some of the other dungeons, some of the side areas with no actual quests attached proved to be really fantastic dungeons that I ended up skipping towards the end. Might leave it for a while to see if some of the smooth edges get roughed out and the DLC actually materialises - reading a bit about it on reddit, it all seems a bit up in the air at the moment, SureAI seems to have effectively been just one guy by the end. It's a shame to see so many areas where they had to cut content, like the entire Undercity and the Veiled Woman (who sorely needed that cut questline of hers in order to make her more than just the worst of the Deus Ex Machinas mentioned above).

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 18, 2016

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Does this work with the hd version maybe?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captainsalami posted:

Does this work with the hd version maybe?
Nope. Need to wait for a version of the Script Extender for the Special Edition, and that's just the start.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
This is old news and the thread is all but abandoned, but it should be here for posterity. i just found out about it by accident and i'm a lot more excited about my eventual second playthrough now

Announcement - Enderal: Forgotten Stories DLC posted:

Enderal: Forgotten Stories is an expansion-pack/DLC for Enderal. It is being developed mainly by Nicolas Lietzau, one of the project leads and lead writer of the main game, with the support of a small part of the SureAI-team. “Enderal: Forgotten Stories” aims to bring in parts of the story’s content that had to be cut from the initial release, adding 10-20 hours of new quest content, as well as improving several aspects of the main game. Without further ado, here's a small teaser we prepared for you meant to give you an idea of what "Forgotten Stories" will be about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocpwvp35Rs

Features:
  • Two guild quest-lines: Join the Golden Sickle, Enderal's most influential merchants’ guild and experience an exceptional non-linear story that deals with intrigue and greed. Delve into the secrets behind the Rhalâta, the mysterious cult ruling the Undercity.
  • A story mission revolving around the Sea Of Eventualities and Yuslan Sha'Rim's past
  • A quest shedding light on the Veiled Woman's origins
  • A mission that allows the player to explore in detail the death of a certain character
  • A secret ending for the main-quest
  • New bounty missions
  • Professional localization in both German and English (starring, amongst others, Dave Fennoy from "The Walking Dead" and Lani Minella from "Skyrim")
  • New weapons and sets
  • Several game-play changes and additions, such as hidden talents, rebalanced and overhauled crafting skills, high-level crafting, and enchantment that makes investing in craftsmanship a lot more rewarding.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aw man, nice! I actually much prefer Enderal to Skyrim even with mods, and it's great to see that the creators haven't abandoned this yet.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I guess my procrastination paid off. I look forward to playing a more complete version of the mod.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

kuroiXiru posted:

A story mission revolving around the Sea Of Eventualities and Yuslan Sha'Rim's past

You know this would have been a really god damned good idea to have in the base game you guys

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shugojin posted:

You know this would have been a really god damned good idea to have in the base game you guys

IIRC, near the release date most of their coders and whatnot had hosed off, leaving a skeleton of a skeleton crew to handle the release. Maybe they could've released the game much later, but you have to admit that what we got was pretty complete-ish. I'm certainly not really expecting this expansion to be released this year at least.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I wonder what the alternate ending's going to be. With quests dealing with Yuslan more - and presumably Lishari's death - I'm assuming it'll involve dealing with him and actually nuking the High Ones, but the developer said somewhere it wouldn't necessarily be the "best" ending so I dunno if that works

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wonder what the alternate ending's going to be. With quests dealing with Yuslan more - and presumably Lishari's death - I'm assuming it'll involve dealing with him and actually nuking the High Ones, but the developer said somewhere it wouldn't necessarily be the "best" ending so I dunno if that works

I'm thinking it'd be a more genocidal ending, where you destroy the High Ones and all of humanity as well, truly ending the Cycle once and for all. Might make sense if they want to make a sequel whenever Bethesda releases TES 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

wanna weaponise the floating city and turn it into a space dreadnought

• Locked thread