Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Problem description: I don't play many audio-intensive things on my PC, but recently, when some people on podcasts I listen to raise their voices (or do a clap for emphasis), I get crackles in the audio.

Attempted fixes: I've tried disabling all audio enhancements (in playback) and lowering system audio. No dice.

Recent changes: Changed to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Notable because I don't have RealTek Audio interface/drivers, which I had with W7. Going to download shortly and test it out.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

System specs: MSI H61M-E33/W8 LGA Motherboard, i5-2310 CPU, quadcore @ 2.90GHz, GTX970 GPU, these really old speakers. Not sure if much else is relevant.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Install the latest Realtek audio drivers from their website and see if that helps. If not, please reformat your post using the template in the sticky Rules thread so we have something to go on.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Edit: Ah whoops. Was sort of in a rush to leave my place when I posted this. I'll edit it!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Hm. I'm not entirely sure where to get 'legit' (?) RealTek audio drivers for windows 10.

The realtek site takes me on an infinite loop. A couple of other sites link to the Microsoft Update Catalog/Download Center, and I'm struggling to find it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Here's the Realtek download page, you want the second file in the list (64-bit).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Well after installing it and playing some video games, I don't get any crackling (too afraid to stress test on purpose) but I still get the occasional pop or crackle when people in high quality audio gets loud or make clapping/stomping sounds. It's weird.

Either way, it's on-board sound, so I'm pretty screwed right?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You're describing clipping, turning down the volume should fix that if it's not on the transmitter's side. So for example, rather than having system volume at 25% and voice volume at 100%, set both to 50% so you achieve the same final volume without clipping.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Funnily enough, I've had everything at 100 for years while never having that issue...until a day or two ago. Not that I kept things blasting. So would that signal a deterioration of some kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
No, you're on a new operating system so some difference in behavior is expected. Just adjust the volume settings to the correct values and you should be good to go.

• Locked thread