Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Bonzo posted:

Oh sure, Rush retired and no one in Canada says a goddamn word.

pretty sure we collectively disowned those libertarian dorks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Millions of Crows posted:

No one under 50 cares about Rush.

hello i am 28 and have seen rush 6 times

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Millions of Crows posted:

No one under 50 cares about Rush.

Non Canadian spotted.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I can't tell if Paul has been crying, or if he's just really, really, really sweaty...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
130k people watching just the youtube stream. Id like to know how many people are actually tuned in and watching either there, bars, houses, radio, etx.
Also lol imagining living in the general vicinity of where that concert is happening, hope nobody has to work in the morning but I'd wager there's going to be at least one person calling in "yeah, the hip concert and associated noise kept me up until 4"

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

im dyin :qq:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

AAB posted:

im dyin :qq:

gord?

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
That's all folks.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

*pulls up spotify*

*plays The Depression Suite, Wheat Kings, Bobacygon, et al on repeat forever*

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
I'm a Canadian that's super nostalgic about the 80s but still never gave a poo poo about Rush.
Neil Pert was in the ATHF movie, that was cool. But their music ... meh.

The Hip have mattered to me since i saw the video for Courage in 1989. I was a little kid but something connected. That never happened with Rush. Roll the Bones was ok, but didn't inspire me to seek out more of their work.

Rush never reached the same level of cool as Rob Baker's hair.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
it's over :canada: :qq:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Bug Bill Murray posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6pwkHjRWuM

Their singer Gord Downie is dying of brain cancer. They're a great band and Canada's greatest export. Check it out if you got a minute.

Very sad, but I'd rather watch Nickelback play a set of The Guess Who covers.

fishguzzler
Aug 25, 2008

I didn't know about them until trailer park boys. I was late but not too late

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
I grew up listening since my parents were into them. Saw them a bunch of times. I'm a fuckin big tough guy and I couldn't keep it together for Fiddler's Green. Hated every second of love for our lispy PM, none of that was necessary. Still love Gord, will be sad to see him go.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I love that Gord used his last show ever to essentially guilt Trudeau into taking action to help the First Nations.

Dude's going to look like a total dick if he doesn't do something now.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
SET LIST

01. Fifty-Mission Cap
02. Courage
03. Wheat Kings
04. At the Hundredth Meridian
05. In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
06. What Blue
07. Tired as gently caress
08. Machine
** Intermission **
09. My Music at Work
10. Lake Fever
11. Toronto #4
12. Putting Down
13. Twist My Arm
14. 3 Pistols
15. Fiddler's Green
16. Little Bones
17. The Last of the Unplucked Gems
18. Something On
19. Poets
20. Bobcaygeon
21. Fireworks
** Gord Downie Monologue **

ENCORE
22. New Orleans is Sinking
23. Boots or Hearts
24. Blow at High Dough

SECOND ENCORE
25. Nautical Disaster
26. Scared
27. Grace Too

THIRD ENCORE
28. Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
29. Gift Shop
30. Ahead by a Century

CBC CREDITS - Long Time Running

No Darkest One :(

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

fishguzzler posted:

I didn't know about them until trailer park boys. I was late but not too late

same but I'd heard the name heaps of times before but I guess until the last few years my musical taste hadn't matured enough or whatever

that was quite emotional really watching him scream and cry. had me weeping for a dude I'll never meet

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I went for a walk during this because instead of watching it because I hate my country and I saw 3 different groups of people on my street watching.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Saalkin posted:

I went for a walk during this because instead of watching it because I hate my country and I saw 3 different groups of people on my street watching.

Lol sucks to be you, bud.

It's a good life if you don't weaken would have been cool to have slipped in there somewheres.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I mean, objectively it was probably one of the worse Hip shows I've ever seen, but the fact that Gord is even up there is pretty loving insane.

That mic drop at the end of "Grace, Too" is going to haunt me for a long time.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
We reg'd on the same day this is too much

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Yr av just for this thread or have you had it for a bit cause either way that's cool.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Ill Peripheral posted:

Yr av just for this thread or have you had it for a bit cause either way that's cool.

Had it since about...2012-ish? I dunno, I think I had some dumb Firefly av before this one.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Ill Peripheral posted:

Lol sucks to be you, bud.

It's a good life if you don't weaken would have been cool to have slipped in there somewheres.

The walk was good. I found $20.

Are you saying I should have watched with some of these people?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Saalkin posted:

The walk was good. I found $20.

Are you saying I should have watched with some of these people?

It was good. I'm not even Canadian and I got pretty emotional at a couple parts.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Yeah it was good, even though I hated any bit of politics that came up.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Popular Human posted:

It was good. I'm not even Canadian and I got pretty emotional at a couple parts.

If you have trouble at the henhouse as your av you don't need to be Canadian to get the feels over what transpired tonight.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Ill Peripheral posted:

Yeah it was good, even though I hated any bit of politics that came up.

I was groaning too until I realized what he was doing. "Oh, that Trudeau is so great, we're really in good hands. That's why he's gonna fix things up north!" Holding the guy's feet to the fire live in front of several million people was a masterstroke. After all, you wouldn't dare turn down a dying Canadian icon's make-a-wish, would you, Justin?

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Yeah maybe I wasn't paying attention and he was just trolling him, cause that's a situation no one is fixing, for sure not the Canadian choom gang leader

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I liked that episode of corner gas where brent kicked the hip out of his garage, good times

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Toriori posted:

130k people watching just the youtube stream. Id like to know how many people are actually tuned in and watching either there, bars, houses, radio, etx.

Walking around Halifax there were at least five different places (that I personally saw) showing it. You'd have to be avoiding it to not see it. A couple hundred in each park that's showing and maybe a hundred in each bar. Multiply that by how many cities there are and how much bigger they are in comparison.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That had... a lot more feels than I was expecting. Seen the hip about 20 times, but that wasn't an Uber fan thing, just that I was a working entertainment journalist in the 90s. Best for me was either the first roadside attraction, or WOMAD in Seattle with Billy Bragg and Wilco.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Was really surprised but grateful that they came out for that third encore. When they left the stage after that goddamned raw ending with Grace, Too, all the shots of people in the audience were looking loving wrecked. Rather than let that be the last depressing, dramatic thing people took away from it, they came back out with some more upbeat songs. That's the Hip right there.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
poo poo gave me too many feels...

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Been a fan for about 20 years, but became a bigger fan when I moved to Canada several years back. That was the most Canadian thing ever and it was amazing and heartbreaking and great. What an end. Wept like a goddamn child when Nautical Disaster started. I didn't expect to hear it and it's one of my favorites. That song, Grace Too, and Gift Shop are my holy trinity, and by the first encore I figured I'd probably hear just Grace Too by the end of the show. Then they played all three, and closed with Ahead By A Century too. :cry:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bonk posted:

Gift Shop

This is my favourite and I loved that they played it. Man, I genuinely felt like I was there, seeing as though I watched it without interruption from start to finish. Thanks CBC! I wonder how they felt by running an uncensored Tired as gently caress. Glad it wasn't touched.

Also, that first intermission, with the lightning storm gave me chills the whole time through. It just made the whole event seem bigger, even MORE important and sort of ominous. :black101:

In honour of both Gift Shop and the complete switching of emotional gears after it ended (should have just left the broadcast with a still-image of the band at least until midnight EST :colbert: )...

"And after a glimpse
Of the last of the Hip
The rest of the night
Is just some Rio bullshit"

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 22, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sounds like some indie rockers, like kinda a weezer knockoff, good luck with the cancer OP

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is my favourite and I loved that they played it. Man, I genuinely felt like I was there, seeing as though I watched it without interruption from start to finish. Thanks CBC! I wonder how they felt by running an uncensored Tired as gently caress. Glad it wasn't touched.

Also, that first intermission, with the lightning storm gave me chills the whole time through. It just made the whole event seem bigger, even MORE important and sort of ominous. :black101:

In honour of both Gift Shop and the complete switching of emotional gears after it ended (should have just left the broadcast with a still-image of the band at least until midnight EST :colbert: )...

I'll grudgingly accept the sudden shift after - they cut off Saturday olympic coverage on what was effectively the last night, that alone was good on them.

Full props to CBC for their handling of the show; I had this initial moment of dread when Ron McLean started going on an awkward ramble of The Hip and sports and stuff, and then they just shut the gently caress up and let the show happen in silence, even during the intermission.

Estimated viewership - over 11 million. Like a third of Canada watched that. drat.

I was never a major Hip fan growing up - maybe the overplay on radio or something, but I've always appreciated what they've done and for being a distinctly Canadian band and for having some great songs along the way. they'll be missed and they went out as well as they could under the circumstances. Godspeed to them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Goatfather posted:

i saw a headline about canada's biggest band playing their last show and i was like man idiots on the internet arent gonna shut up about rush

who the gently caress are these guys though

• Locked thread