Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
It's all good then. If thete was ever a game for "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" to apply, I figure this is it. Netherwrath even makes a good instrument for the aesop, very in keeping with her themes.

Not that I'm intending to just roll over and take it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hey, just a short notice: This is a new scene! Do clear anything that only lasted till the end of the scene (like the special villainous conditions I gave out) or anything you cleared via the specific actions.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Whelp.

That's it. That's the limit.

Expat's moving out.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sorry for the delay, everyone!

Caper is go! Heat Rating starts at 0 for this one. Obviously, for this Caper rising Heat means higher likelyhood of damaging the cars.

Here are the planks:

quote:

You must take out the automated security systems. It's a freaking web of systems, chances are only taking out choice ones will bite you in the rear end anyway.

You’ll risk the attention of Blue Manchurian Security. Naturally, they'll be the first responders. And fighting them will likely drag on long enough for powered attention.

You’ll need intel on which cars are your targets. You still don't know which ones are the ones you're looking for. A closer look, or a technological examination/scan will reveal this.

You must seize all five cars. Naturally, they need drivers! Goons or personally doesn't matter, but naturally they need to be on your side

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Isn't that newest Netherwrath action illegal? I was under the impression that we needed at least one Plan to burn on an Execute action? As in, you cannot Execute without burning plan.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Theantero posted:

Isn't that newest Netherwrath action illegal? I was under the impression that we needed at least one Plan to burn on an Execute action? As in, you cannot Execute without burning plan.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Otherwise executing plan would be way too spamable. You do have that one Plan left to burn, though!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, just a quick note: What I posted in the MIA thread does NOT affect Capers. I will continue running it. So get your posts in! :)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey guys, I kind of want to prompt this game. Can I get those remaining posts? :(

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Alright, I think we waited long enough. I'm going to prompt on Sunday regardless of posting state, just fyi.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, just a quick notice: Prompts will be a little bit delayed. Depression's hit again. I've done the prep work, though - only a matter of writing the stuff up.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
Incidentally, Theantero, Whisperwind's leaning on Expat a bit here. Is he trying to Shift her Labels (maybe -Superior, +Freak)? You managed to pick up Influence on her, after all ...

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Justice Grieves posted:

Incidentally, Theantero, Whisperwind's leaning on Expat a bit here. Is he trying to Shift her Labels (maybe -Superior, +Freak)? You managed to pick up Influence on her, after all ...

Well I wasn't initially, but now that you mention it it does make sense :v:

So sure, lets go with that!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey guys, I'mma try and get this thread back on track a little bit.

I know, RL can be busy, but I feel like this is kind of sinking a little bit. Therefore, I'm going to introduce a weekly prompt. I'm going to make a guaranteed prompt each weekend, so please try to get your posts in before that. If you can't make it, don't worry, I'll just sideline you for the time being. :)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey guys, just a quick update:

I'm personally a bit unhappy in how the Secret Agenda minigame (lack of people interaction with it) is panning out at the moment - so I'm going to add some extra mechanics to it.

Specifically, If nobody makes a guess at all during an Issue, hold 1 infamy. If somebody guesses the Agenda first try, they get to hold 1 Infamy.

I feel like this incentivizes interacting with it while not being overpowered. Thoughts?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 14, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

I feel like this incentivizes interacting with it while not being overpowered. Thoughts?

I appreciate the thought. However, I'm probably quite a bit to blame myself, since I've kinda failed on making it engaging for others to try and guess. The first time around it was far too obscure, and during the second one I totally misjudged how long the caper would take and spent too much time prepping. Turns out it's a bit difficult to try and do a secret thing, make other players invested in trying to figure out what it is, whilst also not making it too obvious :v:

As for feedback, I fear that the first rule at least incentivizes making Agendas that are impossible to guess. Sure, you still get Curses! if somebody gets it right, but getting 1 infamy and not needing to let anyone get Influence on you is almost as good. Perhaps let you take 1 Infamy if nobody bothers to guess, and let them keep the 1 Infamy if they guess right on their first try? That way there is still more carrot for other people to try and guess your Agenda, but less incentive for the Rogue to make it super hard, which I hope would lead to more agenda interaction (I'll manage to calibrate one correctly sometime in the next year or two I swear).

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Theantero posted:

I appreciate the thought. However, I'm probably quite a bit to blame myself, since I've kinda failed on making it engaging for others to try and guess. The first time around it was far too obscure, and during the second one I totally misjudged how long the caper would take and spent too much time prepping. Turns out it's a bit difficult to try and do a secret thing, make other players invested in trying to figure out what it is, whilst also not making it too obvious :v:

As for feedback, I fear that the first rule at least incentivizes making Agendas that are impossible to guess. Sure, you still get Curses! if somebody gets it right, but getting 1 infamy and not needing to let anyone get Influence on you is almost as good. Perhaps let you take 1 Infamy if nobody bothers to guess, and let them keep the 1 Infamy if they guess right on their first try? That way there is still more carrot for other people to try and guess your Agenda, but less incentive for the Rogue to make it super hard, which I hope would lead to more agenda interaction (I'll manage to calibrate one correctly sometime in the next year or two I swear).

Well, considering the Agenda still has to be okayed by the GM, making the Agenda impossible to guess is kind of hard. And I'll yell at you if you don't go after the agenda at all, too. But I get what you mean. Edited in a new version.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 14, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Quick PSA: Remember that you have a +1 forward from Snatching Victory before Heat reached 5!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
To answer Phantom Thief's question, yes, the vehicle is armed. I just think it's bad play to Abscond and then try to throw actions back into the scene you cleared out from.

edit: But, hey, apparently it's okay.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 17, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Quick note on Jimmy/K'Lyathi:

Until they're back, let's just pretend K'Lyathi doesn't exist. Just like all of our problems. :)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, quick notice: Nixon has risen from the dead! :spooky:

... and he made some balance changes. Make sure to check the google docs (especially basic moves) to check if your stuff is in order!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey everyone, now that we got a bunch of capers games going on, I feel it's reasonable that we move our capers related channel to #capers! in the future.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Here are the Planks for Caper #3!

First, you must disable any alarms and communications systems. Largely because of the second plank.

You must take out the stationed teen heroes. The resident hero's have a program where a bunch of teen heroes get to guard special places like the Louvre if they're on good behavior.

You'll have to escape via something unexpected. The Louvre is a very public place and just driving away won't work.

You must seize the artworks, and replace them with your own stuff.

The starting heat will be 2.

Also! I am introducing Prizes in this caper. What are prizes?

They're special 'items' or otherwise acquirable things that give you one infamy or one asset for free if you grab them. The catch?

Only one of you can get the reward. To do that, you need to hold onto the prize until the end of the Caper, and it can be taken away via Directly engage (the take away option), Absconding with it (but, if you do, the person that you stole it from can chase you regardless of your options and roll), or provoking them, or whatever other move you can narratively justify using to grab hold of something.

They may be visible at first glance, but they may also be hidden! Assess the situation, or pierce the mask of people to find out more.

For that, Assessing gets a new option: "What here is more valuable than it looks?"

Edit: Also, starting from now I'm just going to say that any Plan gained from moves that aren't specifically becoming the mastermind or whatever (so stuff like rebuking, absconding, or whatever) doesn't carry over. It's just a bit too risk free for my liking. I'll allow you this time, but I'm not exactly okay with starting with so much plan.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 20, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Okay, I've been meaning to wait for JusticeGrieves to post but this is taking a biiiit too long. Tricky, please go start off the Caper.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Folks, you are cleared to post, since I delegated setting the scene to Tricky.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Important note: I'm implementing a houserule some of you may heard me talk about before.

Namely, the Scion's Birthright roll (and other infamy based rolls with possible negative effects) now happen at the END of an issue, instead of the beginning - meaning you can't dump all of your infamy before the roll.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Guys, you do need to vote on a caper if you want the game to continue...

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sorry for the long delay. I have a long sob story involving a lost passport and an embassy to justify it!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey people, sorry to say this, but... I'm going to close this game.

I feel like it's slowed down to a crawl (even considering Takanago's vacation), and I simply don't deal well with that. While my sadbrains hasn't returned, I still have heavy anxiety problems, and such long delays actually cause me mental problems, as dumb as that sounds. I am not blaming Takanago for taking a vacation (RL goes first, after all), but between that and Justicegrieves near-disappearance, it stopped to a crawl and it has become very hard to work with for me.

But honestly, I feel like we had a pretty good run as is. To my knowledge, this was one of the longest running games of Masks/Capers so far, going as far as getting past the THIRD issue :v:

Don't worry, though - I will put up something to fill the void left by this game's disappearance, most likely a masks game, later. It was fun to play with you all so far, and no doubtedly will be in the future, but I do want my games to have an update schedule that is faster than twice a month at best. I don't think thats fun for either you, the players, or me, the GM.

See you next game, hopefully!

(For those in team 2, which I believe is just Tricky, this will NOT affect that thread.)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sorry to hear it, Yami. I had a ton of fun with the thread and, honestly, BP has been one of my favorite characters to write. You know I'm going to be apping to whatever you run next. :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

And I was so close to getting one of those fabled 'under the line' advances too :argh:

But oh well. WW will always live on in my dreams~

Speaking of WW, here's what he look like under the hood (a secret that only our GM and Anarchy have been shown thus far), since there's no need to hide it any more:

Isn't he just delightfully dorky looking :v:

But yes, thanks for running the game Yami. It was a blast while it lasted!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sad to hear it, but PT's story will continue on april 3rd when he's yet again transferred to a new school, this one in Tokyo! (It is a persona joke)

My only regret is I never got to smooch Liberty Belle.

I had a lot of fun in this game, and I think all the characters bounced well off each other. You did well, Yami.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
Ah hell, did I forget to drop a line here?

I got dropped by car issues. I'm still waiting on the parts I need to show up, which shouldn't be 'til next Monday, until then I'm running around taking busses and bumming rides. It doesn't leave me a lot of time to post.

Still, it was a good run, and good fun. Thanks for having me along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
That's a shame, but I feel like we had a great run. Whisperwind is adorkable, and surprisingly didn't betray NW once, so go him!

• Locked thread