Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

You got worked. They get more creative freedom on SD but that means they get to decide what kind of content to generate and it gets to have a looser feel, but that doesn't mean they're shooting. Miz works heel and nearly always has, and Bryan and Miz have been interacting with each other literally since Bryan's day one in WWE when he was his smug prick of a "mentor" in NXT. Miz is a class act IRL, and the reason his position in the company is so secure is because he does everything right on the PR end. There's no way he'd just haul off on Bryan like that if Bryan didn't give the OK first. He likely told Miz to lay into him that hard.

I'm not saying it was a shoot though. Like, clearly Miz coming out and cutting a promo on Bryan was a work. What I'm saying is I don't think that was the promo Miz planned on giving when he first walked out there. Like you said, Talking Smack is much looser and much more improvisational. They were riffing back and forth and Miz was doing his typical heeling but it changed dramatically when Bryan hit him with the line about working a cowardly style in the ring. I think that line legitimately stung Miz since it is a real criticism he's been hearing his whole career and he used that raw emotion to kick his promo into the stratosphere and pour out some of his very real feelings about those critics. Again, totally get that this is a worked conflict, but there are some things that you just can't stop yourself from having a real emotional response to no matter how much you're aware that it's all for show. It reminded me of a dramatic improv show I went to once where one of the actors turned in an incredible performance and when the scene ended he proceeded sob uncontrollably for several minutes When he finally calmed down he explained that he had a rough childhood and some of the material hit way too close to home. That's a more extreme example of course but I just mean that real emotion can come out of fake performances. I think if Bryan had said "I think you could use more high risk moves in the ring" instead of "you wrestle like a coward" Miz never would have delivered such a fiery and aggressive promo. It's also a great example of why letting wrestlers do unscripted interactions like that work so well because you just can't script a raw, emotional, on the spot reaction like that.

I mean I'm totally open to the fact that I'm way off on all this and everything was planned out exactly how it went down and I'm just a big ol mark rear end busta but that was my take on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Wrestling a cowardly style" refers to Miz's heel work because he cheats most of the time. I highly doubt the real Mike Mizanin took offense to the kayfabe Smackdown GM telling a heel he's working like a heel. If anything, that's glowing praise because it means he's effective.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

That doesn't really make sense in the context though. Bryan specifically referred to him as embodying the soft WWE style, Miz responded that his in ring style kept him injury free for 10 years and that Bryan's style led to him having to retire from injuries. None of that would make sense if they were talking about heel cheating.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

That doesn't really make sense in the context though. Bryan specifically referred to him as embodying the soft WWE style, Miz responded that his in ring style kept him injury free for 10 years and that Bryan's style led to him having to retire from injuries. None of that would make sense if they were talking about heel cheating.

Especially since this was preceded by, "I won my match cleanly and without cheating. Why are you more impressed with the guy who lost?"

• Locked thread