Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Problem description: I've bought a brand new Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070. The card works fine but from time to time the official application shows 0% Fan Speed. Every other software I've tried (GPU-Z, OHWM) shows 0% as well. When that happens the fan goes nuts all the way to maximum speed (which is VERY loud in this model) and adjusting the fan speed manually does nothing. Restarting the PC doesn't fix it.

I get the feeling that the software is losing contact with the fan sensor somehow so it goes off to 100% as a precaution, but the fan is still working, so I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware problem. Temperature sensor is working fine.

Currently on W10 64-Bits Anniversary Edition, Asrock Fatal1ty H97 Killer. Tested on NVIDIA Driver version 368.95 and 372.54.

Problem lasts from 10 minutes to 2 hours before solving itself randomly.

Attempted fixes: Restarted the PC, reinstalled the NVIDIA Driver, reinstalled the video card physically. Disabled Hardware Prefetching on BIOS which I was told that can glitch said video card.

Recent changes: Video card is brand new (3 days old). Problem kicked in on the first day after a few hours. Happens from time to time.

--

Operating system: W10 64-Bits Anniversary Edition

System specs:
MOBO: Asrock Fatal1ty H97 Killer
CPU: i7 4790K
HD: OS installed on a Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb
RAM: 16Gb (2x8) DDR 3.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I shut the PC down instead of just restarting it, waited a few minutes, turned it back on. Signal was still lost but the fan was quiet and remained quiet. Idled at 32C.

I decided to open up a game and put it on very heavy load. As soon as the card reached 50C the fan activated by itself, and a minute or so after I got signal back on the inspector.

So the fan still has contact with the temperature sensor and still reacts to the video card by itself. After I shut the game down and temperature got to 41C I lost signal from the fan again.

Edit: Tested it again, got the same result.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 25, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You just bought it? RMA imo rather than loving with it, new poo poo should work.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Have you tried any third party apps for fan control? Might be worth testing out MSI Afterburner or a similar app and only tweaking with the fan settings to see if it makes a difference. If it still has issues after that and doing a full nuke/reinstall of drivers (remove > boot to safe mode > run DDU > install new drivers fresh in normal mode) then RMA it, most likely a hardware problem at that point.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Have you tried any third party apps for fan control? Might be worth testing out MSI Afterburner or a similar app and only tweaking with the fan settings to see if it makes a difference. If it still has issues after that and doing a full nuke/reinstall of drivers (remove > boot to safe mode > run DDU > install new drivers fresh in normal mode) then RMA it, most likely a hardware problem at that point.

I've tried other software, yes. It looks like the PC loses signal of the fan after a period of inactivity. If it's going up or down and reaching a threshold, it gets signal again. The reason I'm trying to solve it is because 1) I've been told it can be a power management/supply issue and the issue will remain 2) RMAing something in Brazil sucks and shipping is taking weeks with all the olympics shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out I had to update the Video Card BIOS. Once I downloaded and installed it, problem was fixed.

• Locked thread