Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

In the shadows of shiny skyscrapers and derelict residential blocks, ancient stories and urban legends assume physical form, choosing mortal beings as their Gateways to this world. But the Myst, a mystical veil known only to a select few, prevents the unwitting denizens of the City from ever acknowledging the miracles they witness daily, hiding their true nature from one another. Distracted by their everyday hopes and fears, the people on the streets remain oblivious to the clash of mythical forces that drive and control the very life of the City.

You were an ordinary person — until the seed of the legendary awoke within you. Now you seek answers to questions about your powers, but the truth always seems to elude you. Yet at the same time, you still want what every human being wants: love, money, power, peace of mind. Together with your ragtag crew of gifted individuals, you work to reveal the powers operating in the dark smoky alleys of the City, just as those very powers seek you out for what you are. You will hit the streets in search of the strange cases, loose ends, and unsolved mysteries that will lead you to the truth, inevitably clashing with other legends in mortal form, agents of the powers beyond the Myst.

Be warned — the truth is as dangerous as the forces that hide it. Only when you find yourself sacrificing that which is dearest to you will you truly learn the answer to the ultimate question: ‘who am I?’ . But will it be worth it?

City of Mist is a game that on first glance seems like a bit of Fables/Batman/Noir. The writers are currently preparing a Kickstarter and so are currently offering the rules lite free for lucky mugs such as you and I!

http://cityofmist.sonofoak.com/download/

I'm interested in taking it for a spin since it's been a while since I ran a published adventure. So all you need to do is give the rules a quick once over, choose a pre-generated character, give us a bit more background to work with and nominate a style of detective agency. If you want to you can generate a character from scratch using the rules provided but don't feel obligated. My only request is that you don't actually read the little 'V is for "Going Viral"' scenario!

Without further ado our list of potential characters. You can find the full pregenerated playbooks in the free download.

And the options for the detective agency theme:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Gonna bump this once.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm interested in this. Going to go with Declan L'Estrange or Flicker, I think.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Interested in playing Kitsune as a Dabbler in the Myst.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I would love to be Salamander working for The Pros

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Interested as Post-Mortem, as The Pros.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Great. We have room for one more player if anyone else calls someone but otherwise I'm happy to run with four.

Please give me a little flavor on your character's personality, the mythos that fuels them and how you fit into the city. I'm thinking Deltasquid's Post-Mortem is the one who got the team together. So can Deltasquid give us a bit more information on your mysterious benefactor who is funding your investigations? What was the first operation and how did it go?

Everyone else needs to answer: what exactly do you want and get from this mysterious benefactor?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sounds good.

Post-Mortem is cold in all senses of the word: her skin feels icy to touch and she is not the most amiable person around. She doesn't know what her name used to be, but marks down fictional names whenever she needs to. In case anybody asks her, she just calls herself Jane Rei Tanaka. Fortunately, she mostly operates at night and is constantly on the move around the City, and with virtually no obligations to eat, sleep or drink, she can avoid bumping into the same people more than necessary.

In between trying to figure out who she was before she died and why Helix Labs brought her back from the dead, she takes on jobs from a mysterious contact she only knows as "Mail Delivery Subsystem", or MDS for short. This is because they usually send her e-mails coming from this address, and any attempt at contacting them results in error messages or non-existing addresses.

MDS has been sending her cryptic text messages and e-mails at seemingly random moments, where they promise Post-Mortem a trickle of information about her past or funds to help her. So far, they have always delivered, but the information has been vague at best and already known to her at worst. The first job went rather well; she had to clean up some loose ends. A member of the Yakuza had performed a previous job for MDS but double crossed him. Post-Mortem assassinated him via strangulation when he was drunk one night, and dumped the body into a river. The official police reports concluded he had stumbled into the water and drowned. In a way, it was a warming up for the jobs to come, but also a warning.

On the job, she acts professional and prefers a "high speed low drag" approach with as little evidence or collateral damage left behind, and prefers acting solo. Recently, MDS has contacted Post-Mortem and flatly stated she will henceforth work in a team. Although she wasn't amused by this, she decided to go along; The first job together was to make a neurosurgeon disappear at a hospital. Due to some communication errors and a lack of preparation beforehand, the man in question revealed his werewolf self and made a run for it, ruining some equipment along the way as the Pros had trouble catching him. The job ended up being a success nevertheless, but the team had to lay low for a while in that particular neighborhood. MDS cashed out, but strongly suggested they keep the next job low-key.

And thus they were contacted once again, this time to hit a pharmaceutics laboratory under the Helix holding, and the bounty for Post-Mortem was a share of the recovered data.

Is this fine, or did you have another operation in mind to kick the game off?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 29, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
That works well. The only thing is that MDS should have had you all work at least one case previously so that you aren't all introducing each other. So perhaps you can flesh out the case you worked previously. Since then you have established a base of operations somewhere to gather when you get a mission. You mentioned Yakuza so what does everyone think if we make the city Tokyo? I'm fairly familiar with it so I could probably manage.

One other thing is if you want to change something about your character vis-a-vis name, gender, appearance, tags then feel free to personalise them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Tokyo sounds good, I also know a bit about the city and its lay-out.

I'm fine with Post-Mortem the way she is.

As for a base of operetions... Perhaps somewhere in Ikebukuro? It's less blitzy and cliché than the rest of Tokyo centre but still has quite a lot of activity and nightlife near the Station, and it has some of the seedier bars and hotels. If everyone else is fine with this setting, of course.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I thought about Ikebukuro as like a more insiders location but to be honest I draw a blank in terms of memorable sights or places in Ikebukuro. At least if it's Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Akiba there should be some points that people will have gathered from pop culture.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'll have a detailed bio up later today, been busy with Kashuno's soldiers game.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
No worries. The scope of that mafia game boggles my mind.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Apocron posted:

I thought about Ikebukuro as like a more insiders location but to be honest I draw a blank in terms of memorable sights or places in Ikebukuro. At least if it's Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Akiba there should be some points that people will have gathered from pop culture.

There's Sunshine City, Otome Road and the Metropolitan Art Space. But also, it's really easy to reach the rest of Tokyo via the loop line from there, so we can absolutely pop by the other places you mentioned. There's also a Jonathan's family restaurant which might be well known? And a bunch of outlets and Izakayas.

An entirely different place that could work is around the Tokyo Dome.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Salamander(Mizuka Sansho) was once just like anyone else in The City. He punched in to his job as a City Water Worker, day in, day out, and he was satisfied. Every day as he went home to his blue collar home, he was satisfied that he was doing something that helped The City and its residents. He was content, even if his dreams had gone to the wayside, that he was living an honest life. Unfortunately, as it often goes, that life changed forever as he was inhabited by a primordial legend of fire and water, becoming one of the many Gateways that inhabited The Myst. At first, he tried to ignore it. After all, he wasn't a hero, he was a water worker. He continued to live a 9-5 life, going through the motions even as every day it felt more and more hollow.

That was until he found himself in the right place at the right time. A building in his neighborhood had gone up in flames, a firebombing precipitated by gang violence which threatened to engulf the homes of those who he shared his grey existence with. The call to action was clear, and while no one would know how the humble city employee quenched and controlled the flames, he knew that his meaning in life had been changed as they thanked and cheered him. He felt how good it felt to be a hero. Taking on the moniker of the creature that spoke within him, he began an immature vigilante streak, quickly becoming known to his fellow lower-middle class residents as an Up And Coming Crime Fighter. True, wherever he quenched the flames of violence, three more popped up, but that only motivated him more.

Unfortunately, this would not go on for long. One day, it was his building under fire, and as the violence seemed to swarm outwards he found himself unable to keep control. In his efforts to fight back, he ended up spreading his supernatural flames, causing far more damage than he had intended. It was then that he was approached by Post-Mortem, whose calming influence helped him to salvage his disaster. From there, she introduced him to the MDS, who had mysteriously sent her to him, only to show interest in the emergent firebrand. In exchange, the MDS promised to help him discover the truth behind his awakening, and how to better control himself in the heat of the moment. As time went on, he met more and more of his fellow Gateways, and formed a group that followed the mercurial guidance of the MDS. As the team's Hearthrob, Salamander often acts as the face of the group, even though he knows well enough to defer to Post-Mortem's leadership.

Since then, Sansho(Sho to his friends) has continued his work with the City Water Works, but with this new source of income, now lives in a better part of town, a place he still doesn't feel he quite fits. Between that and his supernatural qualities, he tries to maintain whatever sense of normality he has left, limiting his use of abilities to on the job...although, should the right situation arise, he might find himself forgetting that particular rule, and let his Nimbus of Primordial Plasma do the talking for him.

Juchero fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 29, 2016

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hope it's okay I didn't really go off book, I actually REALLY love this archetype.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
That's cool. All I need is your real name and whether you are Japanese or not. Being a foreigner might change the way people treat you a little but Tokyo is metropolitan enough that you could potentially be blue collar and not be native Japanese.

All we need are Tricky and Antivehicular to give us a bit of flavour but I'll get started on he first post anyway.

I created a discord chat room: https://discord.gg/q52Sb

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Kitsune is the guardian of Tatsumi Kaito's family shrine. She has snuck through the gap between the world of myths and gods, using her skills as a Trickster Fox Spirit to experience the life that she has seen and heard of through her observations of Kaito. It was a small task to ensure that the paperwork and processing put her in the same school and class as Kaito. Tokyo Metropolitan High School, Class 2-B. For once, she would be able to see the life she had always dreamed of and experience it first-hand.

Her guise? Second-year high-school student Arakida Inari. She's attracted something of a following among her classmates, who view the illusion she wears as one of the most beautiful in the school. She only has eyes for Kaito, however, and finds little reason to speak with or interact with her classmates. It was not long before trouble revealed itself. A number of supernatural incidents in the city drew her attention as a Messenger of Good Fortune. It did not take long for MDS to place her on their radar.

The incident that drew their attention was a major exorcism at the Meiji Shrine. MDS operatives were also on-site and they witnessed both Kitsune's grasp of magical techniques as well as a deft hand with a sword. She is Basically A Ninja, after all. MDS attempted to establish contact with her at the scene, but she evaded them and vanished into the depths of the city. She spent weeks watching their movements, before revealing herself and agreeing to aid them.

MDS has promised clandestine protection for Kaito, as well as compensation in the form of influence and funds. Kitsune can cheat the system, to be sure, but MDS has allowed her to establish a complete identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Posted the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788298

• Locked thread