Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
General question: Is there a rule of thumb or way to calculate how many CFM of airflow you need for a given amount of heat dissipation?

Specific question: My gf and I are designing and building a laser-cut acrylic mini-itx case for our next rigs and I'm wondering which fans and how many to get. The GPU and PSU will draw from and dump air independently, so I just need to cool an overclocked i5-6600k, gaming mini-itx mobo, 2 DIMMs, and an ssd, so that's... ~125w for the cpu, ~50w for the motherboard, and like ~10w for the ram and ssd combined.

Mobo will be mounted vertically, with case fan and tower cooler blowing vertically, so airflow will be working with convection and more or less unimpeded (only 1 m.2 drive, PSU mounted externally). The main body of the case (containing everything except PSU) will be 8 x 8 x 8.

I was thinking of having 1x 180mm case fan (odd size, I know), will this be enough? Are there special considerations for small case volumes (<8 liters)?

Parts (not including power switch/speaker/case LEDs):
CPU: Core i5-6600k (probably OCed, depending on stock performance/thermal)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB
Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming ITX/ac
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB
PSU: Corsair SF450 modular (might go 500w)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 Single-fan (not OCed)

Not asking for critique of parts, I just want to know what it'll take to cool them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
1x180 just for the cpu should be enough if psu and gpu are pulling from elsewhere.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Cool, thanks. Mods, can y'all rename the thread: Airflow for custom mini-itx box: Neg that bitch

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yes it will be enough

• Locked thread