Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Minnesota! The Land of 1,000 Lakes! The home of Paul Bunyan! Proud owner of one of the United State's favorite football team, and two of it's favorite cities! And, thanks to the North Star Corporation, one of the most prosperous regions in the Great Midwest Commonwealth! Let's take a closer look at this jewel of the North in the next part of our five part series, Come to Minneso

It's been hard for the past century for the people of the Dead State. Blizzards freeze their hearths. Their lives are constantly at risk, between raiders, slavers from the West or in their own home, fauna that's capable of killing ten men by it's own, and rapidly dwindling supplies. What few resources gets sucked up by the Far-Go traders, or is sent to Vault 23 and the Arch to attempt to fund their livelihoods. Many sons and daughters are swept away by the siren call of the North Star Vault and the mysteries in the Twins, never to return. Unless you can find a stable community to call your own that hasn't already fallen to isolation and corruption, you've already lost.

Many see the sign that the blizzards are stopping as a good sign. Some are calling it the first sign of a change. Some are calling it false hope.

In truth, it's up to you to see if the Dead State changes or not.

remember that the second post of the game thread contains most everything that's happened up to now, including a quest journal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OOC: Figured it would be good to repost my character sheet for quick reference in here.

Lucy Setters

Lucy’s a drifter, just like her daddy raised her to be. She was born somewhere out east on the road to a mother who died in childbirth. Her father raised her all by himself, never having a permanent home or explaining who her mother was to the child. She learned the basics of making a shelter and cooking meat over a fire shortly after she learned how to speak in full sentences, and fired a duct-taped air gun for the first time a few years after that. She was never an eagle eye, but she knew how to use the thing. Lucy and Mark stayed together through thick and thin for 20 years, never far apart from one another and often the only companion of the other.

Unfortunately for Lucy, her dad just didn’t have that much exploring left in him. When Lucy turned 20, Mark Setters was already 67 years old. One day in the cold winter, the old bear went to sleep and never woke back up. His daughter had to dig the grave herself.

Left on her own, Lucy tried to settle down. She landed herself in the former Springfield, Illinois and got herself a job helping the town doctor. She knew a little about first aid, but learned a hell of a lot more under the tutelage of a proper doctor. She eventually become “Doctor Junior”, working in her boss’s stead when he had other business or got ironically ill.

But something always felt wrong. She stayed in that place for a few years, but kept feeling a nagging urge to walk away. No particular reason for it, other than “This is what I’ve always done.” Walking the road and camping under the stars felt comfortable to her. And so, the night before her 26th birthday, Lucy left a hasty note and disappeared.

She’s been like that for a few years now. As far as she can see, Vault 23 is just the latest in a long line of stops before she finds a new place to go. It would take something interesting to get her attention…

Why did you come to the Dead State?
"Honestly? It was there. I haven't been there yet, and I was already on part of the Big 90 so I figured I may as well keep walking west. They did that before, right? People walked west?"

What’s one rumor or legend you’ve heard about the Dead State?
"Don't quote me on this, but I hear there's a gang of tech-heads in The Twins that can program themselves. You know, plug a chip in their head and turn themselves into marksmen or doctors or whatever. I don't get how that works, though. Wouldn't your brain get too full at some point? Wouldn't you have to give up something eventually to make room?"

--------------
Lucy is a blonde of average height and muscular, squared-off build. She keeps her hair short, making it easy to deal with. Her green eyes often seem very tired, regardless of how awake she’s feeling, and are framed by freckles. The years of hard living have left her with various aches and pains in her joints despite her relative youth.

She dresses warmly and conservatively, in a faded green military jacket over a black sweater and stained white tank top, complemented by black cargo pants. Along with her old backpack, she wears a belt pouch full of first aid gear for immediate access. She wears a homemade cloth chest rig with her Mini-14 magazines and some small gear.

quote:

Lucy Setters
29 years old
5'6
160 lbs

21 points remaining

ST 10 [0]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 12 [20]

HP 12 [4]
FP 12 [0]
Per 13 [0]
Will 13 [0]

Thrust: 1d-2
Swing: 1d
Basic Lift: 20 lbs
Basic Speed: 6.00
Basic Move: 6
Water Move: 1
Dodge: 9

Average Appearance
Struggling Wealth (Starting Wealth $2500) [-10]
English [Native, Literate]

Advantages
Combat Reflexes [15]
Fit [5]
High Manual Dexterity +1 [5]
High TL 1 [5]

Disadvantages
Chronic Pain (Mild, 2 hours, roll of 9 or less) [-5]
Curious [-5]
Easy to Read [-10]
Flashbacks (Mild) [-5]
Hard of Hearing [-10]
Light Sleeper [-5]
Nightmares [-5]

Quirks
Uncomfortable sleeping in a real bed [-1]
Compulsive Wanderlust [-1]

Skills
Armoury (Small Arms)/TL 7 (IQ/Average) 14 [4]
First Aid (IQ/Easy) 15 [4]
Guns (Rifle)/TL 7 (DX/Easy) 14 [4]
Hiking (HT/Average) 13 [4]
Surgery (IQ/Very Hard) 12 [4]
Survival (Woodlands) (Per/Average) 15 [8]

Weapons
Bullpup .50 AE Pistol
Damage: 4d pi+
Accuracy: 2
Range: 220/2500
RoF: 3
Shots: 7+1 (3)
Weight: 3.7/0.4
Strength: 12
Bulk: -4
Recoil: 4
Cost: $2500/$45
Current Ammo Count: 7

Ruger Mini-14 (5.56x45mm)
Fitted with a folding stock ($100, 0.5 lbs added to total)
Fitted with a scope

Damage: 5d pi
Accuracy: 5
Range: 500/3200
RoF: 3
Shots: 30+1 (3)
Weight: 8/1.3
Strength: 8
Bulk: -5
Recoil: 2
Cost: $1510/$28
Current Ammo Count: 27

Survival Knife
Damage: sw-2 cut or thr imp
Reach: C, 1 or C
Parry: -1
Cost: $45
Weight: 1
Strength: 6

Armor
Boots
DR: 2*
Cost: $80
Weight: 3
+1 to kicking damage

Equipment
Leather belt ($10)
Leather scabbard for knife (included in weight and cost for knife)
USGI 2 quart canteen ($10) (6 lbs)
Holster for Bullpup Pistol ($50) (2 lbs)

9 lbs on belt

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 26, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Benjamin Braddock

Ben heads back to the gun shop where he had ASHL-3 wait.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. We've got plans," he states, both to the proprietor and to the Eyebot. "We're going on a slaver hunt. Ending the problem before it can even be one. Gonna need bullets though. Potentially enough to field everyone in town with rifles that can go all the way through a human skull. But before that, we've also got a speech to make. Whiiiiich means I'm going to need your help real quick, Ashley. Just so we can see if any enterprising do-gooders are willing to meet up and lend a hand. The whole thing'll take us about halfway towards our first destination anyway, so we may as well, right?"

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Doc Bronson
Bronson stays quiet until Ben is done speaking.
"Hmm. I'd like to try and brew up something to help deal with the Paurs, but I don't know if I have enough time. I assume there's no one around who has a stock of chemicals or industrial solvents?"

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Sorry for the late post, got tangled up in homework and planning for other games.

Barbara smiles wearily as the two of you re-enter the military shop, caught in the middle of breaking down a camera for spare parts.

Unknown Quantity posted:

"Sorry to keep you waiting. We've got plans. We're going on a slaver hunt. Ending the problem before it can even be one. Gonna need bullets though. Potentially enough to field everyone in town with rifles that can go all the way through a human skull."

"I, uh...hm," Barbara wonders aloud. She taps the counter. "I got Desert Eagles, some .44, one or two .50. Also got a Magnum Research BFR, that's in .45/70, but...darn, don't think I got any heavy rifles. Who're we talking about? Pack or Paurs?"

Unknown Quantity posted:

"But before that, we've also got a speech to make. Whiiiiich means I'm going to need your help real quick, Ashley. Just so we can see if any enterprising do-gooders are willing to meet up and lend a hand. The whole thing'll take us about halfway towards our first destination anyway, so we may as well, right?"

[begrudging beeping, opening of radio console]

LeSquide posted:

"Hmm. I'd like to try and brew up something to help deal with the Paurs, but I don't know if I have enough time. I assume there's no one around who has a stock of chemicals or industrial solvents?"

"We got some spare flamer fuel in the maintenance shack. Maybe some in the old parts of Cherrygrove, the ones that used to be the old school. Might be worth looking there."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Benjamin Braddock

"Paur. We're getting rid of the slaver problem at its source. Now, taking on a pack of Paur with five people's suicide unless you've got high explosives. But an entire firing line of flamers, rifles and heavy pistols? I'm pretty sure nothing that was at least at one point human is tough enough to stand up to ten people firing on them at once. The plan, at least, is to rally everyone behind going on a witch hunt. Get rid of the biggest dirty spot on our map. Plus, odds are there are folks nearby with personal radios listening into my station, and they'll jump at the chance to get rid of slavers when I bring up how America doesn't believe in slavery. True facts, they made slave-owning outlawed first chance they got."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lucy Setters

The token female comes in from the back, having spent another session on the range making sure her scope was looking fine.

"All right, who's getting set on fire?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Unknown Quantity posted:

Benjamin Braddock

"Paur. We're getting rid of the slaver problem at its source. Now, taking on a pack of Paur with five people's suicide unless you've got high explosives. But an entire firing line of flamers, rifles and heavy pistols? I'm pretty sure nothing that was at least at one point human is tough enough to stand up to ten people firing on them at once. The plan, at least, is to rally everyone behind going on a witch hunt. Get rid of the biggest dirty spot on our map. Plus, odds are there are folks nearby with personal radios listening into my station, and they'll jump at the chance to get rid of slavers when I bring up how America doesn't believe in slavery. True facts, they made slave-owning outlawed first chance they got."

Barb looks at you astonished. "Old World used slaves? Really? Is that what they used to build the big cities like the Twins?"

Jimmy just looks and shakes his head. "Not quite, lady. It was about 400 years ago, back when there weren't ain't cars or good guns or planes. Worked them to death in the fields."

Barb looks at the Ghoul, then at Ben, then at the Desert Eagle on the counter, then sighs. "Ain't much's changed. Fine. People round here want to get rid of them, so your plan'll probably work. Just don't get any ideas in your head about keeping the guns unless you got the Caps or the Vault Scrip."

Jimmy nods, looking back at everyone. "I can coach everyone on how to use the heavy stuff, if they got it. A Vertibird had every little bit of ordinance you could need. Some of it carries over to the handheld things."

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 17, 2016

• Locked thread