Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!
'Sup, dough thread.

Watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be57uXRf5xo

Made this:

'sgood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

SpookyTurtle posted:

'Sup, dough thread.

Watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be57uXRf5xo

Made this:

'sgood.

beautiful, did you use corn starch on the outside?

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

A drat good video.

I'm running low on the dough so I pulled my starter out of the fridge, fed it and now it's going nuts again.

I've seen a few recipes where people use yoghurt to start their starter, will it work if you go the other way around and drop some of your starter dough into some milk to make yoghurt?

Rozzbot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 14, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Rozzbot posted:

A drat good video.

I'm running low on the dough so I pulled my starter out of the fridge, fed it and now it's going nuts again.

i've been feeding mine daily for weeks now. how long does it take to revive a fridged starter?

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

beautiful, did you use corn starch on the outside?

Nup, no corn starch. I followed the steps in that video with a fidelity usually only observed in the severely autistic. The only thing I missed is that his reference to "strong flour" translates to "bread flour" in the US. Which probably seems obvious to veteran breadsmiths, but I used all-purpose, and while beautiful on the outside, the inside was more dense than I had expected. Still highly edible.

Also, goony confession: After four disastrous attempts at cultivating wild yeasts to make a starter, I ended up buying a batch from Amazon. I named mine Victor, and it's thriving with daily feedings.

AEMINAL posted:

i've been feeding mine daily for weeks now. how long does it take to revive a fridged starter?

I stuck Victor in the fridge when I went on vacation for a week, and just resumed room-temperature daily feeding when I got back. I'd say it was fully revived in about 4 days. That culture is hardy stuff.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Thats it. I cant hold it in any longer.

HAVE YOU BEEN TO SOURDOUGH THREAD

PARSLEY SAGE ROSEMARY AND THYME

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

It seemed like it could have been ready to go after just one feeding, maybe because it's hot as heck here at the moment. I'm giving it another feed today before making bread tomorrow though.

SpookyTurtle posted:

Also, goony confession: After four disastrous attempts at cultivating wild yeasts to make a starter, I ended up buying a batch from Amazon.

I left my flour/water mixture uncovered in my bedroom so I'm assuming yeast from my body moved in as flakes of my skin and hair and whatever fell into it. I tell this to everyone who tries my bread.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

I keep my starter in a closet above my fridge, there's a bunch of extra spill heat from the compressor there so it super thrives.

Also a good place to put your dough for rising if you want a less sour bread, fast rise = less of the sour lactic bacteria stuff. Feeding/mixing your starter daily also helps with this because the bacteria doesn't like oxygen.

Made some dough before going to bed last night, it's so easy with a kitchen scale! Takes like 5 minutes. Going to bake it later today :)

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AEMINAL posted:

I keep my starter in a closet above my fridge, there's a bunch of extra spill heat from the compressor there so it super thrives.

Also a good place to put your dough for rising if you want a less sour bread, fast rise = less of the sour lactic bacteria stuff. Feeding/mixing your starter daily also helps with this because the bacteria doesn't like oxygen.

Made some dough before going to bed last night, it's so easy with a kitchen scale! Takes like 5 minutes. Going to bake it later today :)

I love when people trick me too and make fun of my music as well.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
http://imgur.com/fBF9rFV

Uhhh.. back to the drawing board

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry about your gross rear end loaf.

I tried to copy the YouTube man and aside from having dough stuck to everything it turned out nice.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rozzbot posted:

rear end loaf

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah I think there was something wrong with my starter, since it didn't really rise when I left it out, and it didn't double in size during step 3 of the NYT recipe. I still saved my starter so I'll be trying again.. maybe I'll look at the video to see where I went wrong

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

dhamster posted:

http://imgur.com/fBF9rFV

Uhhh.. back to the drawing board

lmfao

im dyin ova here

aww, keep trying. some advice:

looks like you didnt let your starter feed for long enough, feed it daily with a 3/4th a cup of flour and enough lukewarm water to make it doughy, but not runny. also when you feed it again pour half of it out. be sure to have plastic wrap over it and store it in a warm place

use whole wheat flour, it has more nutrients and it will thrive on the stuff. when its ready you should be able to see holes all up in it, so use a mason jar

here's what whole wheat starter looks like when its ready

this one is a little dry, i'd add a tad more water. kinda like a very thick pancake batter

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/mW3fPRv.jpg

This is what my starter looks like now, I put it in the fridge a couple days ago after I took some of it for dough but I took it out again and fed it last night.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

dhamster posted:

http://i.imgur.com/mW3fPRv.jpg

This is what my starter looks like now, I put it in the fridge a couple days ago after I took some of it for dough but I took it out again and fed it last night.

ohh, dont keep it in the fridge, thats for when you wanna store it. you only feed a fridge starter weekly and it wont work for baking right out of the fridge

when you're preparing to bake you need to take it out and feed it daily for 2-3 days, while it sits in room temperature, in order for it to be active enough to rise bread

just keep it somewhere dark and room temperature, the yeast colony kills any bacteria/mold and will be fine

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah, what AEMINAL said. Treat your starter like the living thing it is - storing it in the fridge is like putting it in cryostasis, and really slows down its metabolism. You want it all warmed up to room temperature to encourage lively feeding and breeding.

Here's mine, bubbling happily away, eating and farting:

There are lots of opinions on optimal micro-farming strats, and here are some I've discovered:
  • My daily feeding proportions are 150g starter + 150g flour + 150g water. That gives me 300g of starter any time I want to bake a loaf, plus 150g of starter reserved to continue the cycle.
  • I use water from a filtration pitcher, not because I care about excluding particles, but to give the chlorine a chance to dissipate.
  • People who use glass jars are nuts. The top has a natural bottleneck, which makes stirring and cleaning a pain in the rear end. My local restaurant supply store sells these plastic crock containers for like $4 each. I bought 2, and rotate the clean one with my daily feeding. Use a hot needle to melt a little pinhole in the lid so your starter can belch freely.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I think the problem was that I fridged it during the rising step. Anyway it's been out of the fridge this weekend and I've been feeding it, so I might be able to try again soon

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

SpookyTurtle posted:

Yeah, what AEMINAL said. Treat your starter like the living thing it is - storing it in the fridge is like putting it in cryostasis, and really slows down its metabolism. You want it all warmed up to room temperature to encourage lively feeding and breeding.

Here's mine, bubbling happily away, eating and farting:

There are lots of opinions on optimal micro-farming strats, and here are some I've discovered:
  • My daily feeding proportions are 150g starter + 150g flour + 150g water. That gives me 300g of starter any time I want to bake a loaf, plus 150g of starter reserved to continue the cycle.
  • I use water from a filtration pitcher, not because I care about excluding particles, but to give the chlorine a chance to dissipate.
  • People who use glass jars are nuts. The top has a natural bottleneck, which makes stirring and cleaning a pain in the rear end. My local restaurant supply store sells these plastic crock containers for like $4 each. I bought 2, and rotate the clean one with my daily feeding. Use a hot needle to melt a little pinhole in the lid so your starter can belch freely.

my mason jar has developed a thick dough crust from when i pour the starter, good idea with the plastic container.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I think what helped the most was getting a proper dutch oven instead of a baking pan covered with foil

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

dhamster posted:

I think what helped the most was getting a proper dutch oven instead of a baking pan covered with foil

How long did you let it rise after folding?

Looks good for a first loaf!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I let it rise 10 hours before folding, then maybe 12 hours after folding.. I fell asleep last night before I was ready to turn the oven on lol

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

dhamster posted:

I let it rise 10 hours before folding, then maybe 12 hours after folding.. I fell asleep last night before I was ready to turn the oven on lol

haha ah

well keep at it

ive got some in the oven rn :q:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Grem posted:

That looks like a lot of work, gently caress that. Safeway has fresh French bread every day at 4pm.

Lmao look at this idiot

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I baked some bread today, 78% with just a white>wheat>rye mix. I got high and forgot about it for 3+ hours during bulk fermentation yesterday lol so it overfermented a little and started tearing as soon as I got some tension going during preshaping so I just put it straight into the bannetons without proper shaping (it'd have just ripped more and degassed). It came out pretty good, a little more dense and funny looking than usual, but it didn't get too sour and that's what counts

No pics though

E: the moral of the story is to set a timer when making bread under the influence

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 20, 2016

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
heckin poo poo this thread showed up at the wrong time for me. Sourdough is truly the loaf of kings. Gotta get me a dutch oven or pizza stone and then start feeding some sourdough fart machines!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
theres a sando place nearby with dope sourdough hogie rolls

they good

• Locked thread