Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't fly a super lot, like 5-6 times a year, so I don't know how common this is. But last year I had to fly to Portland, ME and connected through NYC. For the first and to this point only time in my life I had to take a little shuttle to the middle of the landing strip area where we walked up a creaky flight of stairs and got onto a tiny rear end little plane going to Portland. Apparently that is common when going to Maine, lol.

Try flying to their "capital" in a major airline carrier. I wasn't able to and had to drive at night from Portland. The good airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Darth123123 posted:

Try flying to their "capital" in a major airline carrier. I wasn't able to and had to drive at night from Portland. The good airport.

uhh Bangor is like the largest runway on the east coast or some poo poo and can accept the space shuttle, pfft

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

EX250 Type R posted:

uhh Bangor is like the largest runway on the east coast or some poo poo and can accept the space shuttle, pfft

Bangher is not th capital. I had important work at the capital.

E: and every flight involved 2 plane changes.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 31, 2016

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Maine politicians constantly threaten to kill each other all the time.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/04/30/news/portland/westbrook-official-apologizes-for-lepage-assassination-remarks/

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

what's so bad about john oliver lol

i only watch the main segments on youtube i guess so maybe im missing something

Only time he ever even mentioned Bernie Sanders was to denigrate the guy's supporters.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

EX250 Type R posted:

sorry you arent familiar with maine blueberries???

nobody is that's what's so funny

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ork of Fiction posted:

Only time he ever even mentioned Bernie Sanders was to denigrate the guy's supporters.

fair enough i suppose but a lot of his main segment things are spot on :shrug:

it's a comedy show. I feel like people tune in expecting serious news time then get pissed off when hey it's not 100% unbiased serious reporting

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nobody is that's what's so funny

I think the entire down east economy is based off hillbilly heroin and blueberries, much like aroostook and their potatoes

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm cool with John Oliver, he's super open about the fact that he's just a clown yelling for your amusement, but also some of his stuff sheds light on problems people don't normally talk about. So basically shut your bitch mouths is all.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Ive always wanted to go to Maine. It seems like a cool state that is still kind of dumpy so assholes and hipsters aren't always moving there. What are the cool stuff places in Maine?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The French Army! posted:

Ive always wanted to go to Maine. It seems like a cool state that is still kind of dumpy so assholes and hipsters aren't always moving there. What are the cool stuff places in Maine?

quebec and montreal

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The French Army! posted:

Well there is no shortage of outdoors stuff to do, from the Allagash to Acadia. Portland is where anything that is something will be located but everything south of Augusta is northern massachusetts

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

it's a comedy show.
pop culture references and talking about why we're still doing something in the current year isn't comedy. his main stories are hard to watch because those are the only things he does for laughs, as well as the fact that he's just doing the jon stewart thing of yelling a lot about a subject. but he still does it because he'll still get reacharounds from salon and the daily beast on monday

also john oliver used to put a lot more effort into his main stories (Miss America and Phillip Morris International were two of my favorite main stories), but now it's just "20 minutes of yelling about an issue that only concerns americans." he should repatriate to england

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Maine: a place my great something grandfather lol noped out of when his uncle's plan for it got sucked into its own rear end in a top hat.

I can't believe no one has gotten the point that the high tolls on the roads are meant to deter people from going there.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Also I once made the mistake of visiting the UMaine campus when looking for colleges. Drove eight hours both ways and after a certain point the highway looked exactly the same bar the occasional moose in a flannel shirt taking a poo poo.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The French Army! posted:

Honest to god, I'm from Iowa and Maine seems exactly like Iowa to me unless you over by the ocean. It just has that empty and sad feeling.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

Honest to god, I'm from Iowa and Maine seems exactly like Iowa to me unless you over by the ocean. It just has that empty and sad feeling.
they're also two of the whitest states in america

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Lol I'm from Iowa too but Maine has oceans, mountains, lakes and they won't throw you in jail for half a joint which I think makes I cooler than Iowa by default.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Maine will also have legal weed in November, since everyone should be voting yes on question 1

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

but now it's just "20 minutes of yelling about an issue that only concerns americans."

I guess that's a fair criticism if you're from not America but on the other hand sucks to be you lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Paul LePage still considering resignation?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Is Paul LePage still considering resignation?

"“I will not resign,” LePage told reporters in his office at the State House on Wednesday, a day after he raised that possibility in a radio interview."

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/08/31/politics/lepage-rejects-calls-to-resign-says-he-has-backbone-not-problems/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do you guys feel about question 5? The ranked voting one

• Locked thread