Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

Wicker Man posted:

The retro tech look was a really nice touch, though :shrug:

It was loving inspired. Loved every second of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
I pushed a grueling pace at bare-bones rations all the way to Soda Springs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

natetimm posted:

It was an immersion thing to ape the style of the first Alien movie. The horror schtick in that movie is their sensors let them know something is there, but not specific enough to be useful when it's real close.

I'm talking about the in-game map, not the sensor. I loved the movie and adored the videogame Alien Versus Predator 2, but the whole schtick of Alien: Isolation fell apart for me once it just ended up as me going through the same set of rooms over and over again looking for the exit and never finding it while being killed again and again covering the same drat ground because of how far back the savepoint was.

Matchstick posted:

It was loving inspired. Loved every second of that game.

We clearly have very different taste in games.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Tried to release a first person "work up through the ranks" type game about being a black singer named Marvin.

its called "I'm Gaye"

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I save all of my items until the end of the rpg and then I don't need them anyway and I realize the game was easy as poo poo and I just wasted 45 hours of my life and now I'm crying

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

First mistake: saved up my money for a summer and bought Earthbound because all my friends told me it was so great. I thought it was loving stupid.

Second mistake: sold it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wicker Man posted:

The retro tech look was a really nice touch, though :shrug:

It was a beautiful game, but watching an obvious collection of scripts pacing around isn't scary. You just end up thinking about the alien as a robot whose logic algorithms you are trying to trick.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

gigawhite posted:

I save all of my items until the end of the rpg and then I don't need them anyway and I realize the game was easy as poo poo and I just wasted 45 hours of my life and now I'm crying

in final fantasy games i would hang on to all my elixirs and x-potions and never use them for some reason

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
my first time through FF8 I didn't bother actually learning what guardian forces were or trying to draw things from enemies since you could find springs in certain areas of the game to junction really good spells. But I ended up making it all the way to the final boss with only the 3 starting guardian forces, meaning I could only junction certain things to the only 3 people I ever used.

While I managed to beat every other boss and enemy I was too weak to standup to greiver's shockwave pulsar because I only had one guardian force per person on my 3 main people. Once I looked up a strategy guide and realized there were 16 guardian forces and I could junction multiple ones to each person it was basically a whole new world. Had to replay the entire game from the start though because Siren is on the first boss and Diablos is best to get right away.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 30, 2016

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
I thought I would one day have enough experience to start a gang in MajorMUD with my Dark-Elf Thief.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I never put in enough time to get good at Pikmin. That's always bothered me.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Honest question:

Was I just a gently caress up when playing Trade Empires or did that poo poo become impossible after the first few levels?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
it was me, guys, I bought the Oblivion horse armor

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's no cure for my Obsessive Reloading Syndrome. I can't stop pressing R after every single kill even if I only spent 2 shots or something... Even if the game has no reloading mechanic and R does something else.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
"In a dark corner of the tavern, a scruffy pirate offers to sell you part of an old treasure map for 500 gold pieces"

"NO THANKS."

e:

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 30, 2016

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Fat Shat Sings posted:

my first time through FF8 I didn't bother actually learning what guardian forces were or trying to draw things from enemies since you could find springs in certain areas of the game to junction really good spells. But I ended up making it all the way to the final boss with only the 3 starting guardian forces, meaning I could only junction certain things to the only 3 people I ever used.

While I managed to beat every other boss and enemy I was too weak to standup to greiver's shockwave pulsar because I only had one guardian force per person on my 3 main people. Once I looked up a strategy guide and realized there were 16 guardian forces and I could junction multiple ones to each person it was basically a whole new world. Had to replay the entire game from the start though because Siren is on the first boss and Diablos is best to get right away.

I replayed this on my PS Vita a few months ago, on and off when travelling. Had a ton of fun (haven't played it for years). Then I realized i missed a Guardian Force (Alexander) from a boss and quit playing.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I purchased Enchanted Arms, the worst JRPG ever made. Which is really saying something.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Jim Barris posted:

I purchased Enchanted Arms, the worst JRPG ever made. Which is really saying something.

Worse than Stargazer?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Got eaten by a Grue.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Collector's edition hard copies of: Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Hellgate London. I think i bought the super deluxe gently caress you Star Wars MMO despite knowing better because friends wanted to play it.

Didn't pick Malkavian on the first playthrough.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

SaltLick posted:

I couldn't beat the last boss in KOTOR because I didn't have saber throw. I couldnt blow up the tanks fast enough before I was horribly murdered. Pure glass cannon.

I decided to make a party of "grey jedi" for whatever reason and we all used carbines. There were a couple rough patches early on but the boss just absolutely melted against 3 guys rapid-firing blasters at him and I didn't even have to deal with the tanks mechanic

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

davecrazy posted:

Got eaten by a Grue.

Told my parents about needing to find a knife to kill a grue and was forbidden from playing so that I wouldn't become a violent kid or satanic murderer or something. They were worried about violence in video games way before it was mainstream.

It worked though. I'm not even a regular murderer.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

Told my parents about needing to find a knife to kill a grue and was forbidden from playing so that I wouldn't become a violent kid or satanic murderer or something. They were worried about violence in video games way before it was mainstream.

It worked though. I'm not even a regular murderer.

If only you had applied yourself you could have been an ultra-murderer today!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Skilleddk posted:

I replayed this on my PS Vita a few months ago, on and off when travelling. Had a ton of fun (haven't played it for years). Then I realized i missed a Guardian Force (Alexander) from a boss and quit playing.

you can get by with probably 9-12 of them, but it does suck knowing you missed one. even after i learned there were 16 of them I managed to have to backtrack twice, once for carbuncle on the statues you fight at the end of the first disk and the second time for eden because it had been ages since a boss had a guardian force and I fell out of the habit of drawing spells.

my biggest gaming mistake of all time though was going through all that chocobo air garden bullshit in ff9 and then deciding I didn't actually care if i beat ozma leaving the game forever unfinished. Also backtracking for Ark in that game.

....and back tracking 4 hours for the stupid loving monster capture poo poo in FFX because you need to capture 10 of every monster to unlock something in that monster arena and you only encounter this one specific monster one specific time in the crystal woods.

I also backtracked because I only had 99% completion on FFX-2 because you have to hit X at a specific time, without a prompt, with no warning, in a span of a second during a cutscene or else you don't get the real ending of the game.

And backtracking in FF12 for that zodiac weapon I previously posted about.

I guess there was a reason I played the first 1/3rd of FF13 and just returned it.

Basically all of final fantasy is a mistake

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 30, 2016

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I lent an acquaintance my brother's copy of Bad Mojo. Never got it back.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I lent an acquaintance my brother's copy of Bad Mojo. Never got it back.

That one is on gog.com, but I still haven't tried it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I sold my SNES and all of its games (FF3, Chrono Trigger, other valuable ones) for like $100. If I had held onto it for a few more years I would have made many times that amount on eBay.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Pot Of Shoe posted:

One time I installed League of Legends

Oh yeah, this too.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Paid full price for Black and White.

gently caress you Peter Molyneux.

gently caress you.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nocheez posted:

I sold my SNES and all of its games (FF3, Chrono Trigger, other valuable ones) for like $100. If I had held onto it for a few more years I would have made many times that amount on eBay.

drat. Unironically :same:

GeekCom
Jan 9, 2014
ok here's a game play one.

I was going to play Final Fantasy 8 and decided I'd be a cheating bastard and used a Gameshark to make all my characters level 99. The thought behind this just stomping through the entirety of the game as an unstoppable god. If you never played the game it takes about an hour or more to finally get to a point where you actually fight something. The first enemy I encountered was a Caterchipillar which is this stupid giant caterpillar thing. So I looked right at the screen and said "gently caress you you giant bug motherfucker!" and hit attack. the drat thing was still standing. I attacked it again, and again and it was practically unfazed.

After about 15 minutes of fighting this loving thing I finally used the scan ability and to my horror I saw that the Caterchipillar was also level 99 which means this game employs the stupid "the enemies level with you" thing. So I was fighting a level 99 monster with level 1 equipment. Needless to say I had to restart. This time using an infinite HP code and proceeded to kick it's rear end in short order next time.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
straight up threw out all my old SNES and NES hardware and games (prob about $1000 worth of poo poo nowadays) when I was moving as a kid because "hey I can just use emulators for all of these now :downs:"

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Got my v1.08 Hurricane/Armageddon Druid up to level 92 in Dialo II LoD. A rollback took me back to 91 and I lost steam after that.

At launch, Druid spells could not deal damage; level 20 hurricane maxed out at 200-250 damage and level 20 Armageddon was about 500-600. It took me over an hour to solo nightmare Diablo by running around him in circles with hurricane while dodging attacks. Man, it / I sucked.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I looked up Hero Quest on ebay (the board game) today and it's going for like £80-100. I bought one off ebay about 4 years ago for next to nothing and I swapped it for a Q of draw. Whoops!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I sold my Virtual Boy and three games - two of them good - for like twenty bucks. I really wish I hadn't, it's so expensive to replace now and they'll never release any of the games on the Virtual Console like they have with the game boy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Made it to the final dungeon of FF3, got pretty far in but died because I was a bit under leveled and instead of sucking it up threw a goddamn tantrum and sold the game.

dsf posted:

straight up threw out all my old SNES and NES hardware and games (prob about $1000 worth of poo poo nowadays) when I was moving as a kid because "hey I can just use emulators for all of these now :downs:"

I did this with my Dreamcast and about 20 games, oof.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ryoshi posted:

I sold my Virtual Boy and three games - two of them good - for like twenty bucks. I really wish I hadn't, it's so expensive to replace now and they'll never release any of the games on the Virtual Console like they have with the game boy.

Missed opportunity to put the Virtual Boy games on the VC and make them actual 3d. Probably requires too much reworking.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

opus111 posted:

I looked up Hero Quest on ebay (the board game) today and it's going for like £80-100. I bought one off ebay about 4 years ago for next to nothing and I swapped it for a Q of draw. Whoops!

I have two that I got in the 90s. Neither are mint and 1/3 are poorly painted but the minis are great for RPGs that needs figures for reference.

"The doorman stops and asks for your invite."
"Who, the skeleton?"
"No, the goblin on the other side. He's... not to scale."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I used to get a game for a good report card. One of those times, I chose Back to the Future for the NES. Even as a 10-year-old, it didn't take me long to realize how bad the game was. I think I only ever got past the kissing minigame once. Never came close to beating the game, never bought any other BTTF games.

My dad got Star Voyager when he bought the NES. We had a hell of a time deciphering that game, and really have no idea how far we got before we were blown up. Almost as impenetrable as Utopia on the Intellivision.

At one point, we loaned our Intellivision and like 20 games to my dad's sister's family. They kept it for a while, then sold it all at a garage sale without asking us. Assholes.

• Locked thread