Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I have a mac desktop circa 2005 that'd been in storage for awhile and no longer powers on. Is there a relatively cost-efficient way to get access to the files on the HD? There are some things on there (pictures, pieces of writing etc.) that I don't have backed up anywhere else and if there is a way to avoid total loss, I don't mind spending a little money. I don't mind tearing it apart to get at the drive itself out either, but I'm not sure what the next step would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dis posted:

I have a mac desktop circa 2005 that'd been in storage for awhile and no longer powers on. Is there a relatively cost-efficient way to get access to the files on the HD? There are some things on there (pictures, pieces of writing etc.) that I don't have backed up anywhere else and if there is a way to avoid total loss, I don't mind spending a little money. I don't mind tearing it apart to get at the drive itself out either, but I'm not sure what the next step would be.

SATA to USB adapter, plug it in to your current computer. If your current computer is a Mac, problem solved. If it's Windows, get HFSexplorer

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

SATA to USB adapter, plug it in to your current computer. If your current computer is a Mac, problem solved. If it's Windows, get HFSexplorer

That's seriously it? Pick up a ~$10 cable, extract the HD and I'm set? Last time I looked into this, someone implied I'd have to drop some serious cash on a special converter unit because the mac in question won't turn on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dis posted:

That's seriously it? Pick up a ~$10 cable, extract the HD and I'm set? Last time I looked into this, someone implied I'd have to drop some serious cash on a special converter unit because the mac in question won't turn on.

Yeah, basically. If you happen to have an external SATA enclosure sitting around you don't even have to get a cable.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, basically. If you happen to have an external SATA enclosure sitting around you don't even have to get a cable.

Definitely no SATA enclosure. That may even be what I was advised to get in the first place. I'll head out to the store this evening and report back. Even if it doesn't work out, that's a small enough investment that I wouldn't even mind. I really appreciate the tip. Only thing left to do is see if I can find a decent tutorial on how to disassemble the old mac without breaking anything more than is necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dis posted:

Definitely no SATA enclosure. That may even be what I was advised to get in the first place. I'll head out to the store this evening and report back. Even if it doesn't work out, that's a small enough investment that I wouldn't even mind. I really appreciate the tip. Only thing left to do is see if I can find a decent tutorial on how to disassemble the old mac without breaking anything more than is necessary.

Pardom me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a 2005 Mac have hard drives with IDE connectors?
NVM it looks like they had SATA drives.

Macs circa 2005 were fairly easy to work on.
ifixit has pretty good teardown instructions. https://www.ifixit.com

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 29, 2016

• Locked thread