Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Problem description: I'm trying to set up an AirPort Time Capsule but I cant reach it over WiFi. Right now it goes:
modem->switch->WAN Port on Time Capsule
modem->switch->WiFi Access Point
On the Time Capsule I have Wireless Mode disabled, Connect Using Ethernet, and Connection Sharing Off (Bridge Mode). When I have my Dell desktop computer connected directly to the switch with a patch cable everything works fine and it's autodiscovered on AirPort Utility. Everything also works great if I reconfigure the Time Capsule to provide WiFi and I connect to the AirPort Time Capsule provided WiFi with either the desktop or a Macbook. Once I connect to the regular WiFi, though, AirPort Utility can no longer autodiscover the Time Capsule. It's still there as I can see it if I run an IP scanner, it responds to ping, I can access the files on it if I go to Go->Connect to Server, and I can even open it in AirPort Utility if I go to File->Configure Other... and specify the IP address. If I have the Time Capsule connect to the network through WiFi instead of ethernet AirPort Utility cant find it over WiFi or ethernet. The problem is without it autodiscovering Time Machine thinks it isn't there and wont sync.

Attempted fixes: I tried hard resetting it, using one of the LAN ports on the Time Capsule instead of the WAN port, and disabling the firewall on the Mac and PC.

Recent changes: No recent changes.

--

Operating system: Mac OSX El Capitan, and I'm also trying it on a Win7 Pro PC.

System specs: The laptop is a mid 2015 Macbook Pro, the PC is a Dell Optiplex 3020, core i3, 4gb RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

McPhearson posted:

Problem description: I'm trying to set up an AirPort Time Capsule but I cant reach it over WiFi. Right now it goes:
modem->switch->WAN Port on Time Capsule
modem->switch->WiFi Access Point
On the Time Capsule I have Wireless Mode disabled, Connect Using Ethernet, and Connection Sharing Off (Bridge Mode). When I have my Dell desktop computer connected directly to the switch with a patch cable everything works fine and it's autodiscovered on AirPort Utility. Everything also works great if I reconfigure the Time Capsule to provide WiFi and I connect to the AirPort Time Capsule provided WiFi with either the desktop or a Macbook. Once I connect to the regular WiFi, though, AirPort Utility can no longer autodiscover the Time Capsule. It's still there as I can see it if I run an IP scanner, it responds to ping, I can access the files on it if I go to Go->Connect to Server, and I can even open it in AirPort Utility if I go to File->Configure Other... and specify the IP address. If I have the Time Capsule connect to the network through WiFi instead of ethernet AirPort Utility cant find it over WiFi or ethernet. The problem is without it autodiscovering Time Machine thinks it isn't there and wont sync.

Now it would be important to know more about the WiFi Access Point.

If it's acting as a router, you'll have two separate network segments: one includes the "home" side of the modem, the switch, and the Time Capsule, and the other is whatever is connecting wirelessly to the WiFi Access Point.
One way to verify that would be to compare the IP address and netmask of any one device that is connected through WiFi to IP and netmask of any one device that is wired to the switch.

If the WiFi Access Point is acting as a NAT device/router, it will probably also have its own built-in DHCP server for the WiFi it provides.
Unless your modem provides a real public IP address to everything connected to it, your WiFi-connected devices may currently be in a "double NAT" situation, which might cause other problems too.

Can you view or change the configuration of the WiFi Access Point?

Does the WiFi Access Point have any other network ports?

If the Access Point has WAN and LAN ports like the Time Capsule has, plugging the WAN port of the Time Capsule (still in Bridge Mode) into a LAN port on the WiFi Access Point, that should make it accessible over the regular WiFi... but that would cause the wired desktop to be unable to autodiscover the Time Capsule, or possibly unable to access it altogether without further configuration if the WiFi Access Point does NAT.

The simplest way to have them all see each other in a single network segment would be to switch the WiFi Access Point into the equivalent of Bridge Mode. That way, all the devices would be in a single network segment. Then the DHCP server in your modem (based on what you've told about your network configuration, it almost definitely has one) will hand out addresses to all the other devices: it won't care (or even know) whether they are wired or wireless.

Of course, if you want the wired network to be a separate segment from the wireless one, the above solution won't work.

If you had your own local DNS server you could configure some DNS records to extend the autodiscovery beyond a single network segment: these instructions describe the minimum amount of DNS records you'll need to make Bonjour aware of some devices, as long as you can add records to the DNS domain the client machine uses. But if you haven't managed a DNS server before, this might be way over your head at this time; feel free to ignore it. Or maybe add it to the list of "things I might someday want to to do in my network"?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The WAP runs in bridged mode as well so all devices on or off WiFi are on the same subnet and everything. When you mentioned Bonjour it got me thinking about multicast and lo and behold, the WAP was configured to not allow multicast so whenever the Time Capsule broadcast itself the WAP wasn't repeating it to wireless devices. I enabled multicast and now it is working like a champ! You are a life saver!

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

McPhearson posted:

The WAP runs in bridged mode as well so all devices on or off WiFi are on the same subnet and everything. When you mentioned Bonjour it got me thinking about multicast and lo and behold, the WAP was configured to not allow multicast so whenever the Time Capsule broadcast itself the WAP wasn't repeating it to wireless devices. I enabled multicast and now it is working like a champ! You are a life saver!

Don't belittle yourself: I did not even mention multicast at all. I may have given you a new perspective on the problem, but as far as I'm concerned, you solved it yourself, fair and square. :hfive:

• Locked thread