Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As it happens we have six slots to fill on this mission, and six soldiers left with hidden potentials: Susie, Kevin, Nils, Yoko, Homer, and Claudia.

Video - Showdown at Naggiar 2

The Empire continues to resort to low and underhanded tactics, just because Squad 7 has an unstoppable superweapon.

Updated Personnel Files

Alicia Melchiott

Zaka

Leon Schmidt

Maurits von Borg

Georg von Damon

Susie Evans

Nils Daerden

Never say "manspreading" around Nils.

Homer Peron

Never say "man-spreading" around Homer.

Medic(s)

Gen. Bles

Gen. Jaeger

New Weaponry Files

Dromedarius

Tank Destroyer

The end of Chapter 14 leads immediately into a new report:

Video - Parting Ways

Alicia's mystery assailant covered their tracks well, but even the most cunning criminal can't avoid leaving behind subtle clues...such as a comprehensively-detailed written confession, signed by six witnesses and notarized.

New Glossary File

Barious Ruins Sanctum

Completing this chapter unlocks the Bruhl Plaza skirmish.

This is the single best map for grinding. You can complete it in less than ten minutes and get 50,000 XP.

A new medal has also been issued, as the duchy's way of saying "Sorry about your sergeant getting shot and turned into a magical girl."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Finally! Now that they're all unlocked, I can talk about the actual, honest-to-god worst characters in the game, and how they're the only characters that can actually cost you a mission or get someone perma-killed. See, Valkyria Chronicles is a game that is, first and foremost, about action economy. The more stuff you're able to do with your limited resources, the better. This is why Lynn is so phenomenal, for instance. However, several characters have Potentials that can cause you to have wasted your CP to some extent by selecting them, and worse, some leave them exposed or vulnerable to attack. This can be really bad if you needed them to save someone else who'd gotten into trouble. So, let's have a look at the soldiers who waste your time, in rough order of how badly they screw up your plans:

-Klutz (Nancy): This one's description is misleading, Nancy has a chance to just straight-up lose her grenade every time you select her. Naturally, as long as you weren't counting on her to make a big play using a grenade, there's no problem, but an unsuspecting commander may find that they just wasted a CP selecting her, if there's nothing else for her to do with her turn.

-Jam Jinxed (Mica): This Potential has a chance of halving the number of shots Mica's weapon fires, which can turn a kill into an injury, and result in return fire. Since you can still get him into cover, and headshots from Shocktroopers don't always need more than half of the bullets to hit, this isn't devastating, but if it triggers when using a flamethrower, the attack fails entirely. Much like with Nancy, this is a pretty nasty Potential that can ruin an unsuspecting player's plans, but if you know how it works and plan your play accordingly, it can be safely managed.

-Chronic Fatigue (Hermes): This isn't as bad as it seems on the surface. When Hermes' AP is completely expended, there's a chance his turn will end right there, before you can do anything with him. This is kinda bad, but as a Scout, he has a ton of AP, just make sure you can attack while you still have a sliver of it in the tank. Another one that limits how you use the guy, but can be handled.

-Stage Fright (Dorothy): If Dorothy is sighted by five or more enemies, she has a chance of losing all her AP on the spot. If you weren't carefully maneuvering her around cover, she's in a lot of trouble. Sure, if you've got things set up so that most or all of those enemies will be dead before they can attack, you're fine, but that means using Dorothy in any target-rich environment requires careful planning. Missions with trench warfare or other sight-limiting factors are safe for her, though, so it's not the worst of the bunch.

-Moody (Herbert): When you select him, Herbert might just decide not to perform any action that turn. No healing, no repairs, no attacks. He'll still perform "free actions" like disarming mines or automatically restocking units he gets adjacent to, but his Action for that CP is wasted, so I hope nobody urgently needed healing. The only saving grace is that he tells you at the start of his turn, so you can adapt to the situation.

-Maintenance Lazy (Ramsey): When you try to attack, Ramsey might just notice that her weapon's broken this turn, and fail to attack. Your turn isn't over, so you can have her duck behind cover, but it means you have to always make sure she can get into cover, just in case she can't attack that turn. Plus, there's intercepting fire to worry about.

-Humanitarian (Susie): Pretty sure that in most runs through this game where someone got Susie killed, this is how she died. When you try to attack someone with Susie, there's a chance her turn will automatically end right there. No attack, and no chance to dive into cover. Depending on the mission and the circumstances, the failed attack could even cost you the mission. Without cover, Ramsey might be in bigger trouble, since she'd take a few extra intercepting fire hits while you end her turn manually, but in the vast majority of situations, Susie is much worse off.

Hopefully, new players and those yet to decide they want to experience Anime WWII (the only good version of this shockingly common premise) for themselves will find this explanation of how these hazardous Potentials work useful. I get that the devs didn't want to just spell out what the numbers are and all, but the explanations for how Potentials work is extremely unclear, and in the case of Potentials that can ruin your entire strategy, they should have tried to be more transparent about the trigger conditions and effects.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Welp, time to track the manga down, I guess. Does anyone die in this? I know the anime killed off Vyse and Wendy, and when I heard that I gave up on ever watching it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
"Ahh, what a nostalgic aroma" said Suzie while in the remains of the Empire camp, surrounded by burning not-napalm. :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

radintorov posted:

"Ahh, what a nostalgic aroma" said Suzie while in the remains of the Empire camp, surrounded by burning not-napalm. :allears:

It smells like not-victory.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

CommissarMega posted:

Welp, time to track the manga down, I guess. Does anyone die in this? I know the anime killed off Vyse and Wendy, and when I heard that I gave up on ever watching it.

I only read as far as capturing the bridge. Currently digging through the other ones now. But if it's more Vyse you want...

As for the anime, it's not good. Really not good. In addition to the spoiler above, which I'll elaborate on, there's a constant issue of characters randomly acting like complete spaz's throughout and turns them into caricatures. Except for Welkin, who seems to be channelling Col. Jesus from We Were Soldiers in his ability to 'just know' how to win a battle and basically be a plank of wood. Then there's the additional cast to round it out, and by that I mean Squad 7 is mostly formed of the Edy Squad. So Edy has major speaking parts. Thanks for that, Japanese fanbase. Though I can't complain much about Jann and Marina also getting a good amount of screentime.

I gave up on it (though kept watching, because I'm a whore for this game) at the same point you did- when they gave Vyse exactly 2 scenes.

1- He gets orders to charge Fouzen in his tank. He gets 2 spoken lines then ATTACK!
2- Post rainway cannon slaughter, with a close up on his corpses face

So yes, gently caress that anime.

BUT! There are a couple of redeeming moments that are actually better than the game. Not enough to make up the bullshit, mind. The big two both involve Faldio (the second happens much later in the game) and actually makes his arc interesting. Also him and Alicia get romantically involved or something which I guess does the same thing :effort:

So as shown- Faldio saw a few signs that maybe Alicia is a Valkyrur. Being the analytical scholar, he studied whatever he could find about them and came to the conclusion (correctly, fortunately enough) that all that has to happen is for her to become fatally wounded and then put some magic rocks next to her. And his outcomes showed only one option to make this happen- sign out a fancy marksmen rifle with custom ammunition and put a shot into her centre mass from 200m away, while she's nowhere near any enemies. Perfect plan, if you're a sociopath.

Then you have the anime, where Faldio tries to shack up with Alicia while ignoring his 2IC / batman / 100% platonic best friend, whose name I've forgotten. He's a standard character, the always annoyed/slightly angry 'watcher' who is constantly exasperated at his seniors antics, but also fiercely loyal. He also gets a few of the Squad 7 soldiers in his squad, who I've also forgotten except Wendy, I think.

During the Naggiar engagement, while Squad 7 hits the Imperial flanks, Faldio is sent into the meat grinder. And they actually do well, until Selvaria shows up and proceeds to vaporise loving everyone. Faldio survives thanks to his no-homo bro shoulder checking him into a hole out of the line of fire right before taking a Valkyrur laser to the face. So obviously after the Imperials withdraw (I believe to counter Squad 7's antics) and Faldio makes it back to camp, he's not doing overly well. As in catatonic

But that's ok, because Alicia is there to look after him, talk to him, bring him food, and above all, make sure he still has his service pistol. So when he pieces together she might be a Valkyrur from some weirdness in the past and some innocent comments she makes, plus the knowledge that Cordelia has shown up with some Valkyria relics to boost morale...

I really like this change. It turns it from Faldio being a calculating dick to someone who's broken and desperate. And he admits as much when he confesses.

I'm probably forgetting a few aspects since it's been years since I watched it, and I don't plan to watch it again (I also advise you don't either unless you need more VC) but that sequence, another moment later on, and the complete switch up for the Cordelia kidnapping mission where Welkin and Jaeger team up which actually isn't terrible, I can get behind

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Paingod556 posted:

I'm probably forgetting a few aspects since it's been years since I watched it, and I don't plan to watch it again (I also advise you don't either unless you need more VC) but that sequence, another moment later on, and the complete switch up for the Cordelia kidnapping mission where Welkin and Jaeger team up which actually isn't terrible, I can get behind

Selvy and Jaeger teaming up with Welk and co during the kidnapping is pretty fun, but there's that little matter of the enemy numbers 2 and 3, one of whom can solo armies, bluffing their way into the capital city of the enemy and doing basically nothing. And not really getting spotted either, other than Alicia recognizing Selvy and going "waitwhat!?" They just walk in going all "oh, we're a duke and duchess, did you forget what we looked like or that we even existed at all?"

Also, there's one of the only bits of Imperial internal politics and higher-up dickery shown in the whole series in the anime where you have a villain focused (filler?) ep Max is pulled from the front lines for a progress report and nearly assassinated by his older brother for being too successful and it's up to Selvy, Jaeger and Oswald/Johann (Selvy's aide de camp) to 'save the day'. That, and there's a couple-second appearance of the actual Emperor so yeah. While the anime is really bad, bits of it touch on stuff that the main series doesn't go near at all, mostly about the Empire itself.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 15, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This report was unlocked after Chapter 14, but takes place between Chapters 10 and 11. It's the shortest and dumbest of them all.

Video - What Lies Beyond Hate

Sometimes the worst thing about war is just the sheer pointlessness of it.

Updated Personnel Files

Eleanor Varrot

Largo Potter

Frederic Klein

Giorgios Geld

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 18, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
A few quick thought about the latest episode:

1) RE: Imperials suddenly caring about civilian casualties - I don't think it's so much them caring about civilian deaths, but more everything else Geld (and my, isn't that name just bursting with implications) did. I mean, if a few civilians happen to get caught in the crossfire, the Imps can shrug and call it an accident. But a guy capturing and torturing people? That's a bit harder to cover up.

2) Nice to see any character development Largo might have gotten in this little venture get immediately torpedoed by his one assigned character trait. I imagine the scene went down something like this:

Writer: Okay, and by the end we've established some real rapport between Largo and the captain. There's all kinds of directions we can go from there.
Lead writer: Did you work in Largo's thing about vegetables?
W: What? Why?
LW: It's his one defining character trait - every character gets one. Welkin's obsessed with nature, Alicia bakes, Largo love vegetables. Put it in there.
W: But how? This is a serious moment - putting that in would totally kill the mood.
LW: Don't care. Put it in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Largo should have said "YOUR EYES SPARKLE LIKE THE DEW ON A MORNING EGGPLANT"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

Valkyria anime stuff.

Hahahahaha, what??? Faldio was literally the worst thing about the anime, not the best except possibly in the ironic sense. And that's WITH agreeing with most of your other points.

I mean, there's a reason the "Super Faldio" meme spawned off that piece of crap, due to him doing one utterly bullshit and superhuman thing after another. Welkin was basically there, with little of his game personality and even very little of his plans, while Faldio magically came up with the solutions to virtually everything.

The Alicia/Faldio relationship was absolutely terrible, only coming about due to massively changing both both Alicia and Welkin's personalities, and still coming out of virtually nowhere. And if there's one thing an anime about Valkyria Chronicles didn't need, it was a loving love triangle to add melodrama.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This report was unlocked after Chapter 14, but takes place after Chapter 7.

Video - Signs of Awakening, Part 1

Maximilian still hasn't learned his lesson from losing the Batomys.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 20, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Archduchess, not the Emperor, will be king of this hill.

Sergeant Zaka is temporarily nonexistent. Due to space-time paradox, all leave is cancelled until further notice. Choose three soldiers.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Cezary,because we're taking an acrophobe up a mountain, Emile and Oscar because we haven't yet fielded the brothers together and having a roof hunter in a mountain ascent seems useful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alicia, Kevin, Yoko, Claudia, Emile, Oscar, and Cezary will kill that hill.

Video - Taking the Barious Highlands

I can't believe those Empire freak loons would actually set up camp here of all places. Let's clear them out so Squad 7 can set up camp here.

Updated Personnel Files

Alicia Melchiott

Alicia's fourth potential has been redacted for your protection. Remember, it's every citizen's duty to never ask questions.

Hans

Kevin Abbott

Yoko Martens

Claudia Mann

And that's every standard recruit's potential unlocked! :toot: Or at least it...will...have been, depending on when you're reading this. NO QUESTIONS.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 2, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maybe this one will be more interesting.

Ms. Ellet has been crazy busy while everyone was away at Naggiar. The last of the three reports she finished up after Chapter 14 takes place just before the chapter, like usual.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the last GBS report with an attached operation; and it's certainly the most difficult.

You're given a small handful of units to protect a large no-go area against overwhelming Imperial forces. If even a single enemy gets through, you've lost, and you absolutely cannot cover every approach with the meager forces at your disposal. CP is in short supply and there are no camps or reinforcements whatsoever.

There are a lot of hidden enemies and only two slots to fill besides Welkin, Rosie, and Largo, so I went ahead with Ted Ustinov the scout and Lynn the sharp-eyed shocktrooper.

Video - Flower of the Battlefield

There's no denying--I did awfully here. I think I did the worst you can possibly do while still winning. All totally on purpose, of course.

Updated Personnel Files

Welkin Gunther

It's a curious thing, but it might just save your life.

Hans

I haven't done any training in a while. I'll bet that's why everything went tits-up.

Emile and Catherine gain Ammo Refill: They have a set chance of recovering all ammunition after attacking.
Oscar and Cezary gain Eagle Eye: Their zoom-in capability is enhanced a set percentage of the time.
Marina gains Ult. Accuracy: Their firing accuracy is greatly enhanced on a permanent basis.

Marina's shots will now hit dead-center, every time.

Right in that tiny orange dot there. It's neat, but not as awesome as it might sound. Squad 7's snipers have all been reliably clicking on heads for a while now. Ult. Accuracy does negate the accuracy penalty from non-GSR rifles, which can be nice; personally, though, I wish there was a sniper with Undodgeable Shot.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 2, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, so apropos of nothing, I decided to look up some info on edelweiss (the flower, that is). And apparently, the name of the genus is Leontopodium, which is Greek for "lion's paw". So that sort of explains the symbolism of the flower in the game, and ties it to the tank.

However, it does raise one question - why the heck is the tank called "Edelweiss"? If they call the flower "lion's paw", shouldn't that be the name of the tank?

And why am I thinking about this so much?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Apep727 posted:

Okay, so apropos of nothing, I decided to look up some info on edelweiss (the flower, that is). And apparently, the name of the genus is Leontopodium, which is Greek for "lion's paw". So that sort of explains the symbolism of the flower in the game, and ties it to the tank.

However, it does raise one question - why the heck is the tank called "Edelweiss"? If they call the flower "lion's paw", shouldn't that be the name of the tank?

And why am I thinking about this so much?

Binomial nomenclature only became a widespread, standardized practice around the nineteenth century, one can assume that the flower's name predates that considerably.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Even within a single country, it's not unusual for a flower to have several names.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Edelweiss" is a real name that's been in use for centuries, but I haven't heard of a real flower being commonly called "lion's paw" before.

I never knew that about the scientific name, though. It looks like those flowers are meant to be a kind of edelweiss, too. That's neat.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 2, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

Binomial nomenclature only became a widespread, standardized practice around the nineteenth century, one can assume that the flower's name predates that considerably.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about in the real world, I'm talking about in the game. If the flower is popularly known as "lion's paw," then where did the term "edelweiss" come from?

Added Space posted:

Even within a single country, it's not unusual for a flower to have several names.

But they've only ever called the flower by one name. You'd think that someone (like, say, Welkin, Lover of Nature) would have mentioned this, especially given Alicia's love of the flower. Your answer makes sense, but until an answer is presented in-game, it's just a weird, random head-scratchier.

Really Pants posted:

I never knew that about the scientific name, though. It looks like those flowers are meant to be a kind of edelweiss, too. That's neat.

I will give the game maker's credit - it is a neat bit of symbolism/trivia. That they aren't hammering it in constantly, but aren't even mentioning it really helps.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Apep727 posted:

Yeah, but I'm not talking about in the real world, I'm talking about in the game. If the flower is popularly known as "lion's paw," then where did the term "edelweiss" come from?

Edelweiss is also German for "noble white", which might refer to the Darcsen banners draped over the tank, or it could be an instance of the writers using real-world etymology for their fantasy world, using the flower's real-world name for the tank despite that word not having any clear origin within the setting. Sort of like how you sometimes see someone described as "quixotic" in a fantasy setting where Cervantes (and thus Don Quixote) never existed, as an example.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

it could be an instance of the writers using real-world etymology for their fantasy world, using the flower's real-world name for the tank despite that word not having any clear origin within the setting.

That's pretty much what I'd figured.

Now I'm wondering what the tank/flower's name is in Japanese.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Tank-kun

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Apep727 posted:

That's pretty much what I'd figured.

Now I'm wondering what the tank/flower's name is in Japanese.

IIRC the Edelweiss is still the Edelweiss and they use the Japanese words for "lion's paw".

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
There is/was an Edelweiss Mountain infantry regiment/division in Bavaria/Germany, with a pretty long tradition. Although I dont think the game authors went Wehraboo here.

When I played this, I found the naming a bit weird because Edelweiss Division did some pretty major war crimes.

E: I am a Kraut with military history as a hobby, if someone names a military thing "Edelweiss" it is that division that is my first association, moreso in a WW2 expy.

Some added trivia, the son of Chiang Kai Shek served in this unit between 1937 and 1939 (prior to the war and warcriming).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Mightypeon posted:

There is/was an Edelweiss Mountain infantry regiment/division in Bavaria/Germany, with a pretty long tradition. Although I dont think the game authors went Wehraboo here.

To be fair, my first thought with the intersection of "edelweiss" and WW2 is the song from The Sound of Music, and I kind of doubt that's what they were going for, either.

• Locked thread