Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Would it produce of sonic boom if I wanted it to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Germstore posted:

Would it produce of sonic boom if I wanted it to?

As I understand the OP's question, this power is only binary: frozen or unfrozen, no in between.

A much more versatile power would be total time manipulation, so you could slow down and speed up things in addition to freezing/unfreezing. Basically, a gradient of speed rather than an ON/OFF switch. If you could do that, you could jizz like a rail gun no problem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The power to manipulate time while still being affected physically by your manipulation sounds excruciating. Say you slow time down to like .00000001s/s, you'd have to spend literal thousands of realtime minutes just processing the thought that you want time to go back to normal speed.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I think I'd use it to pause time when I go the bathroom during a movie or sporting event. This would easily be the best application of this power.

I'm going to the Seahawks opener next weekend and I know if I go to the bathroom I might miss something important, with this power I wouldn't need to worry about that.

I've also missed crucial scenes in movies when I have to go the bathroom as well.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
With a bit of preparation you can freeze most herbs just fine, actually.

:smug:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kuato posted:

I think I'd use it to pause time when I go the bathroom during a movie or sporting event. This would easily be the best application of this power.

I'm going to the Seahawks opener next weekend and I know if I go to the bathroom I might miss something important, with this power I wouldn't need to worry about that.

I've also missed crucial scenes in movies when I have to go the bathroom as well.

Just do what people from Philadelphia do and just piss on whatever or whoever is nearby.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be honest if I had the magical time freeze power I'd just use it for boring stuff like sleeping without losing any time, freezing time so I can get tests/work done in an instant, etc. It's not that I don't have the imagination, it's just that it's not like the time freeze power will let me undo any mistakes I make with it. So I wouldn't wanna gently caress it up by getting caught robbing a bank somehow and being put in a time cube and jettisoned into space.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

The power to manipulate time while still being affected physically by your manipulation sounds excruciating. Say you slow time down to like .00000001s/s, you'd have to spend literal thousands of realtime minutes just processing the thought that you want time to go back to normal speed.

I figure you'd have the option to torture yourself like this, but for most intents and purposes, that intelligent auto-pilot "unfrozen aura" surrounding you would prevent this sort of thing.

Like everything going on with yourself feels totally normal, but you could choose to slow down the world around you so you could see cool Matrix poo poo like bullets rippling through the air or rain drops falling in slow motion while you walk through them, carving a you-shaped tunnel through the rain.

Alternatively, you could hole up in a bunker and then accelerate time to transport yourself weeks, months, or years into the future. This would be a good way to offset the fact that you age while time is frozen.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What kind of moron doesn't have a stadium pal for ballgames and movies??

naem
May 29, 2011

If you didn't age while frozen it would be ideal, you could live years longer by sleeping 9 frozen hours daily

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

naem posted:

If you didn't age while frozen it would be ideal, you could live years longer by sleeping 9 frozen hours daily

You'd increase your life span* by a third.

71 years on average.

Spread that out over a millennium .

That might be fun.

*Waking.

naem
May 29, 2011

You'd appear to never sleep to everyone else, also go spend six frozen months learning to play guitar like you always wanted or make a bunch of artwork, do a bunch of mathematic things on a blackboard like in a bad move etc

OR a bunch of weird sex stuff

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

CJacobs posted:

No, the only subjective measure of how fast or slowly time passes are your thoughts. If your thoughts slow down when time slows down, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You can't think and have feelings about how long it's taking to create a thought. Those thoughts take the same amount of time.

Basically, if your thoughts are tied to the real world passage of time, like they are in real life, you can't tell when time is slowing down or speeding up.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
id make a time slushee

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Day Man posted:

No, the only subjective measure of how fast or slowly time passes are your thoughts. If your thoughts slow down when time slows down, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You can't think and have feelings about how long it's taking to create a thought. Those thoughts take the same amount of time.

Basically, if your thoughts are tied to the real world passage of time, like they are in real life, you can't tell when time is slowing down or speeding up.

Well if you wanna get semantic, technically it's not so much how long it takes for you to think it and more how long it takes for the thought to have whatever magical effect that causes time to speed back up. If you can change time instantly like flipping a switch then you're right, it doesn't matter; but if you change it at a set rate like moving a slider knob then the action your "speed time back up" thought causes will be proportional to whatever speed time is currently going at.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Freezing time = Slowing down time a lot

Slowing down time for everything else but you = Speeding up yourself, leaving everything else unchanged

They're all the same thing. So basically, you'd be the Flash.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257&pagenumber=3#post336610205

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

Freezing time = Slowing down time a lot

Slowing down time for everything else but you = Speeding up yourself, leaving everything else unchanged

They're all the same thing. So basically, you'd be the Flash.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257&pagenumber=3#post336610205

Actually we have already determined that is not the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
There are some people I'd murder. Just a few.

• Locked thread