Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barbershop
Aug 14, 2008

Problem description: When there is a graphics card set as the active graphics processor (i.e.selected in the BIOS settings) the system will not boot or POST. There is definitely power going to the components (CPU, case, PSU fans all spin, GPU fan spins briefly and then stops). This problem arose after I opened the case to add some additional RAM and clean the case fans.

Attempted fixes:
- Tried swapping out ram sticks
- Tried removing/replacing CMOS battery
- Tried a different graphics card
- Checked all connections to all components/power/motherboard.
- Removed the graphics card altogether, started the system (booted successfully) switch the Integrated Graphics Processor to the default device in the bios and restarted the system. In this situation the system boots to windows with no problem and even detects the graphics card in the device manager. However as soon as you switch the graphics card to the primary device in the BIOS the problem returns. As mentioned above I've tried this with 2 different graphics cards (Asus GTX 750 ti and Asus GTX970).

Recent changes: The ony change was the additional 8gb of RAM added.

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs:
Procesor: Intel Core i5 4690K (3.5ghz, not overclocked)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Intel LGA1150 H97 Micro ATX
Graphics card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Also tested problem with an Asus GTX 970)
Memory: 2x HyperX FURY Series 8GB DDR3 (the second stick was added immediately before the problem started)
Case: Cooler Master NSE-200-KKN1
PSU: Seasonic S12-II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm a relative novice when it comes to system building, this is the first PC I've assembled from scratch myself.
My best guess is that there is a problem/fault/issue-I-created-myself-by-not-being-careful-enough with the motherboard?
Obviously there is a problem somewhere but I am hoping to be able to verify exactly what it is before I start sending parts back under warranty etc, so any troubleshooting advice would be really appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dumb question, but did you plug power directly into the graphics card?

Barbershop
Aug 14, 2008

You mean the PCIe power connector? Yes, it was plugged in to both cards when tested, led on the cards next to the plug was lit on both.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Barbershop posted:

You mean the PCIe power connector? Yes, it was plugged in to both cards when tested, led on the cards next to the plug was lit on both.

Is this a brand new build?

Are you plugged into the first monitor port on the graphics card when trying to boot? It's not common, but I've had a few quirky systems in the past that wouldn't show anything on the monitor until Windows loaded unless it was in the "correct" first monitor port. Have you left it on for more than a minute or two in the not working configuration to see if windows pops up?

Another idea is checking for a BIOS update for your mainboard. There may be an issue that's been fixed with the BIOS (read the change log for anything about video/IGP changes)

• Locked thread