Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite/Favourite subtitle?
This poll is closed.
Revelations 11 12.50%
Resurrection 5 5.68%
Retribution 6 6.82%
All-Stars 66 75.00%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

Dragon Quest IV/V are drat fine JRPGs that are also pretty short experiences if you're interested in trying the series out some day

What's your definition of "short"? DQ4 took me a little over 30 hours, which I guess is short when you compare it to the PS1-era dragged-out monstrosities, but I'd still consider a decent length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

raditts posted:

What's your definition of "short"? DQ4 took me a little over 30 hours, which I guess is short when you compare it to the PS1-era dragged-out monstrosities, but I'd still consider a decent length.

7 is like well over a hundred hours to see the credits so at least relative to that, 4-5-6 are pretty short

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah a short JRPG is in the 20 - 40 hour range. Stuff like SMT, the SNES era DQ and FF games, TWEWY etc. "short" for me means different things in different genres, like I wouldn't play a 20 hour COD campaign but I would play 100 hours of Dragon Quest

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

7 is like well over a hundred hours to see the credits so at least relative to that, 4-5-6 are pretty short

The average main quest only completion is 109 hrs on hltb so if you do literally anything else it can get incredibly long

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

The average main quest only completion is 109 hrs on hltb so if you do literally anything else it can get incredibly long

That is the PlayStation game, the remake is significantly reworked and shorter I think.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Took me well over 70 hours to beat Fallout NV and Xenoblade and I don't consider them "long"

I can beat the original super mario bros in about 10 minutes and I don't consider it "short"

Game length is a relative quantity

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lobok posted:

Yoooo, what? Has any other RPG done that before? (I have maybe one or two JPRGs under my belt lifetime so I have no clue). That is a genius idea. Is it permanent or is it more like charm spells from other games that let make the monster an ally for the spell's duration or until it dies?

The Bard's Tale did, back in 1985.

goferchan posted:

Hence my mention of comparing to PS1-era monstrosities. There was a weird era for jRPGs where the philosophy seemed to be "more length = better than."

tap my mountain posted:

Damnit why are the mmbn games only on Wii U virtual console. The 3ds virtual console has sucked balls since the New 3ds came up out.

GBA games have always been Wii U VC only, couldn't tell you why.

As for the 3DS VC, they have been releasing SNES games that are New-exclusive. Which makes the lack of a GBA library even more baffling, but if I had to choose I'd rather have LTTP and Super Metroid on my 3DS than most GBA games.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 30, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been trying the ol' "take short breaks every hour of gaming" (part of a whole "trying to feel better" regiment I've self-prescribed for myself) and I think it works! Try it out!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Feeling better while not playing video games...what the gently caress

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
take short breaks every hour by switching to different games

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
poo poo Disney Infinity closed their YouTube account and nobody saved any of the videos.

Where am I going to go if I ever get the hankering for a bunch of John Vignocchi goodness?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you play anno 1404 for too long a man suggests taking a break for coffee. i don't drink coffee though so i just kept playing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

if you play anno 1404 for too long a man suggests taking a break for coffee. i don't drink coffee though so i just kept playing

Smart

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you have Amazon Prime you now get Twitch Prime with it. I don't really watch streams but if you're into that kind of thing getting no ads and a free channel subscription every month for something you're probably already paying for sounds nice, though the fact that they're tying in-game stuff to it sounds like it could be annoying if it becomes one more way of gating off exclusive content.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Whatever dumb poo poo I was saying about DQ Builders dont listen to it. This game is amazing.

I figured out strafing (durrr) and I learned something else: you never have to carry crafting materials to craft. At any crafting station in you base, all materials in all chests in your base count as held. So you never have to get stuff out of chests to craft, and you never have to worry about putting stuff in the right room or anything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5uVgZIQXYM&t=123s

A game where you can open fire on a Klan rally sounds Extremely My poo poo, here's hoping they learned their lessons from Mafia 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theres a Fable CCG coming to Steam. peter molyneux's farts linger in the room forever

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

theres a Fable CCG coming to Steam. peter molyneux's farts linger in the room forever

Haha oh man. I hope that to win you have to play 'make pie' 500 times.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5uVgZIQXYM&t=123s

A game where you can open fire on a Klan rally sounds Extremely My poo poo, here's hoping they learned their lessons from Mafia 2.

That testifying guy narrating most of the trailer is a hilariously poor actor, I hope that's just Jim from Marketing and not an actual character from the game.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

He's your war buddy, so you'll be seeing a lot of him. I personally think his voice fits in better in-game, but he probably sounds like a smarmy fucker for good reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What's October's chat thread going to be named?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's October's chat thread going to be named?

Games Chat Thread October: The NX-Files

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Games Chat Thread October: The NX-Files

This is what it will be called. Please somebody make it. It is October.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Doesn't FAU have to change his own name

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kirby Superstore! posted:

This is what it will be called. Please somebody make it. It is October.

Here you go, a new thread.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

He says something every two hours, including asking how your family is doing and if you play past midnight he wonders if you aren't tired. What a casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Thank you!

• Locked thread