Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
on the subject of cars and brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/30/european-customers-boycotting-british-cars-eu-brexit-vote-jaguar-land-rover

quote:

Europeans have been boycotting British cars since the Brexit vote, according to the boss of the nation’s biggest auto firm Jaguar Land Rover.

Dr Ralf Speth, chief executive of JLR, also joined senior figures at rival firms in warning that a hard Brexit would damage the car industry, which supports around 800,000 jobs.

Speaking at the Paris Motor Show, Speth said JLR’s European sales team have reported customers turning their noses up at British cars after the vote to leave the EU.

“They have the very first customers in their showrooms [who] clearly highlight that they don’t want to buy British products any more,” he said.

its a good thing we didnt start off our new freewheeling swashbuckling golden trade of global trade on the backs of great british brands and products by making britain look as unsexy provincial and racist as possible

e: in ad 180 marcus aurelius died and left the empire to his son commodus whihc will prove to be a very bad thing for maximus decimus meridius

XMNN fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So Jackie Walker has been suspended from Labour for her appallingly poorly-judged comments about anti-Semitism and Holocaust Memorial day. Apparently there's also a Momentum meeting on Monday that will probably kick her out of her vice-chair job.

What is it about certain people that when they are accused of something like this they can't just keep their mouths shut?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
ken livingstone is contagious

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Private litter wardens attempt to fine woman for feeding ducks.

quote:

The council has used a team of litter wardens from private firm Kingdom Security since 2011, during which the group has issued more than 20,000 tickets. Since September 2015, the litter wardens have handed out 2,116 penalties worth just under £170,000 – half of which goes to the council and the remaining funds paid to Kingdom Security.

I'm sure nobody ever imagined that this method of monetization could ever go awry. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of talk floating around about sustainable business these days but for all that it really seems like nobody's got even the slightest idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's funny how private litter wardens always seem to go after young mothers for their child dropping fruit peel or pensioners for ashing their cigarette inappropriately but never after groups of young men throwing beer cans in the streets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What can private litter wardens actually do if they try to fine you? Like, do they have any way of identifying you if you just laugh and walk off?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm sure nobody ever imagined that this method of monetization could ever go awry. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of talk floating around about sustainable business these days but for all that it really seems like nobody's got even the slightest idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Redcar actually has warnings on the high street telling people not to feed the gulls there, and it's fairly sensible, because it makes the high street infested in them.

So, while they may be bastards, there's nothing striclty wrong with having rules about where people can and can't feed birds.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

HorseLord posted:

Nissan: please stop making our cars. that's crime illegal in the UK
The UK: lol
Nissan: we just filed a lawsuit in your country
The UK: *makes farting sound while throwing lawsuit in garbage*

Most of those cars arent sold in the UK, they are sold in places which would take Nissans side and ban the import of UKGOV Carmobiles. Unless you think the UK has a demand for 500K cars a year, every year, forcibly taking over the plant would be pretty dumb even in the fantasy universe where that is a remote possibility.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What can private litter wardens actually do if they try to fine you? Like, do they have any way of identifying you if you just laugh and walk off?
PSPOs will probably make it legal for them to summarily execute you if you refuse to pay.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Random Integer posted:

Most of those cars arent sold in the UK, they are sold in places which would take Nissans side and ban the import of UKGOV Carmobiles. Unless you think the UK has a demand for 500K cars a year, every year, forcibly taking over the plant would be pretty dumb even in the fantasy universe where that is a remote possibility.

2.6 Million cars registered last year so I think with the banning of anything german we can easily absorb the manufacturing output of Sunderland Automobile Plant Krasnyy oktyabr.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Renaissance Robot posted:

You shouldn't feed ducks bread, it's bad for them and for the environment because it promotes (among other things) bacteria, algae and rats.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ThomasPaine posted:

gently caress people like this so hard. I just don't understand their complete inability to understand the difference between embracing diversity of race, culture, sexuality etc and challenging attributes that threaten that. You choose to have your poisonous bullshit beliefs that are based on terrible reasoning and you actively make society worse. Mr Patel down the road doesn't do any of that on account of being from Bangalore. He might also have bad opinions which should be challenged (and a lot of leftists seem to struggle here) but we're operating at two fundamentally different levels. It's not loving 'intolerant' to call someone out on their stupid poo poo.

I think the thing that gets me most is the sheer level of smug aloofness these kind of people have. They genuinely think they're the smartest guy in the room and they've come up with some devastating critique. Can't loving stand them.

e: on tellychat, does anyone know why the UK only ended up with 5 regular channels, three of which are state owned to some extent? When you compare it to other countries, even on the continent, it seems quite a small number

I had trouble watching it just because it was amazingly cringey. Who the gently caress laughs at that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HorseLord posted:

2.6 Million cars registered last year so I think with the banning of anything german we can easily absorb the manufacturing output of Sunderland Automobile Plant Krasnyy oktyabr.
Or they can just be retooled to make tanks to force the nations of Europe to accept British exports, until their Lucas ignition coils crap out half way down the A1.

e: And it's now October, new thread is here.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 1, 2016

• Locked thread