Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Problem description:I moved apartments today, and after booting up my computer everything seemed fine. I turned on spotify and listen to some music, and that's when I noticed a small stutter. I tried ignoring it at first thinking it'd go away, but it pretty consistently happens every few seconds. It's a full-fledged computer stutter; audio and video stop working for a few milliseconds, then everything catches up. This happens a bit more and a bit less depending on the minute, but shows no signs of going away. Games and video are playable through the stutter, but it's still very annoying.

Attempted fixes: I have changed literally nothing about my system configuration since moving the computer. I have tried reseating the GPU and the RAM, with no change. It's becoming very aggravating, and I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it or what to do.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

No.

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:
My specs:

MSI 970
16 GB Crucial RAM
Windows 10 64 Bit
ASRock Fatal1ty Performance H97 Mobo
i7-4690 Intel CPU
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
ASUS PCE-N10 11n Wireless LAN card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of PSU do you have and how old is it?

Sometimes a failing one can cause behavior like this.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, sorry, forgot to list that. The power supply is barely a year old, it's an EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 Gold. I assume it's unusual for one to fail so quickly? Is there any way for me to determine whether that's the issue short of replacing it?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I believe it was the power supply, but not the one in my system -- I switched which outlet in my surge protector the supply was plugged into, and the problem was solved! Will update if problems crop back up.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Ah, sorry, forgot to list that. The power supply is barely a year old, it's an EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 Gold. I assume it's unusual for one to fail so quickly? Is there any way for me to determine whether that's the issue short of replacing it?

Yea, that'd be quick. Usually they fail more in the 3-5 year range if they've had heavy use. But it's dependent on the quality, components and the use.

Not a Children posted:

Well, I believe it was the power supply, but not the one in my system -- I switched which outlet in my surge protector the supply was plugged into, and the problem was solved! Will update if problems crop back up.

If it's an old surge protector it may be time to use a new one.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The stuttering is back, and is not a function of the surge protector; I've tried other and no protector configurations, and it keeps coming back. It was intermittent for a while, but now it's so frequent as to be maddening.

This happened after a move, so I figured it was something coming unseated, but I've checked and double checked every component in my case and I'm at an utter loss at this point. I think it may really be the power supply. I'm going to RMA mine and see if it doesn't fix it.

10 minute later update: I ran a burn-in program for the GPU to try to see if that was the issue, and it kept dropping in temp whenever there was a stutter -- I opened the case up, fully removed the card, and made sure it was in place WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE. The stutters are gone. For now.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 22, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Annnd back. Following through on that power supply RMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If the problems continue with a new PSU I'd try using the onboard GPU temporarily and seeing if that has stuttering too.

• Locked thread