Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mooktastical posted:

Also, I don't really understand what the downside is to keeping a knife around? :confused:

afaik the main downside is that the sort of people who might be scared and judge you for having a knife would get scared and judge you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Theokotos posted:

Things I've used my knife for in the past few months:
Eating lunch
Cutting lines
Mending a bench
Mending eisenglass
Opening misc stuff
Poking a big bug
Feeding a depressed honey bee
Flashlight attachment
Scraping rust/gunk off something before repairs
Sharpening pencils
Fixing a number clicker

Probably some other stuff. Not working in an office is nice.

what the christ is eisenglass OP?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its clear plastic like on boat windows and convertibles. OP is a rich boat owner probably

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Probably not so rich after buying a boat.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blue Train posted:

the wasp diving knife owns too

I enjoyed watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMvpmGb0Fcs

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Enfield posted:

i ordered a knife off amazon but when the box arrived i couldnt get it open

didnt you have a lighter

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

extra stout posted:

didnt you have a lighter

i ended up opening it with your razor sharp wit

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jonny 290 posted:

afaik the main downside is that the sort of people who might be scared and judge you for having a knife would get scared and judge you

Just don't get one in scary black/green/etc. Make it bright blue/yellow/etc and nobody cares because it looks like a toy.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

I think Kershaw does the same thing.

That's pretty kickass. If I hadn't bought my Benchmade for $30, I'd probably have a Kershaw by now.

Jonny 290 posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

If you live in an urban area it makes you look like a psychopath.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

opus111 posted:

as does wearing a cowboy hat and boots, but good luck hiding those in your pocket

Its also illegal to openly carry a knife in many places, so most knife carriers look exactly like everyone else.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

opus111 posted:

RIP your safe space. goondolences.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

opus111 posted:

Nope. Screaming at a sidewalk or taking a dump into a paperbag on a subway platform make you look like a psycho.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Watching adult men struggle with packaging is fun

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Blue Train posted:

the wasp diving knife owns too

Umm I did not enjoy watching this :nws: unless you work at Cabelas or some poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4M18wW9YTw&t=144s

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please recommend me a good sharpening kit so i dont have to send it into the manufacturer every time it starts to dull

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

please recommend me a good sharpening kit so i dont have to send it into the manufacturer every time it starts to dull

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I had an insanely sharp sog from their chinese line, one day I was cutting a plastic can and ripped like a dumbass.
Didn't feel a thing until I noticed lots of blood, turns out it cleanly sliced open one of my left fingers 2 or 3 millimeters deep.
Now I still have a little scar and am careful around adult tools.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

JonathonSpectre posted:

Everyone should carry a pocketknife and a cigarette lighter with them pretty much 100% of the time.

Sometimes you need to cut something. Sometimes you need to make fire.

Pocketknife, cigarette lighter, and handkerchief. :patriot: Civilization is this way, you monkeys. :smug:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

pr0k posted:

Pocketknife, cigarette lighter, and handkerchief. :patriot: Civilization is this way, you monkeys. :smug:

See that's just poor planning. If you present yourself to society as someone who can get poo poo done, people become a lot less willing to do your poo poo for you. Like the last time I had a flat I just stood by the car sobbing and trying to jam a screwdriver into a road flare. Within fifteen minutes I had like two carloads of people changing my tire while I sat in the A/C and pretended to regain my composure.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

See that's just poor planning. If you present yourself to society as someone who can get poo poo done, people become a lot less willing to do your poo poo for you. Like the last time I had a flat I just stood by the car sobbing and trying to jam a screwdriver into a road flare. Within fifteen minutes I had like two carloads of people changing my tire while I sat in the A/C and pretended to regain my composure.

You could have changed your tire in less than 15 minutes.

e: always carry a lead pipe in your trunk as a cheater bar in case the lug nuts are frozen.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Frankenstyle posted:

Frankenstyle you are a good poster

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BgRdMchne posted:

e: always carry a lead pipe in your trunk as a cheater bar in case the lug nuts are frozen.

Or, you know, just pipe.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

BgRdMchne posted:

That's not cheating, it's merely exploiting physics. Play to win baby.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

BgRdMchne posted:

Yeah. But why get my hands dirty?

BgRdMchne posted:

Seriously though, always do this. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to while you're changing my tire.

You should probably also keep a stocked beer cooler and one of those emergency phone batteries so I can drink a cold one and watch Netflix while waiting.

Cordon bleu
Sep 11, 2016

by Smythe

Frankenstyle posted:

You would be a good writer for the #FEDSMOKER chronicles.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Turmoil posted:

It's what feels comfortable in my pocket. I had this keychain that was given to me in my teens for the longest time, but spring loaded bit started to fail and my keys would come separated from the other half. I went throught a few different things before I settled on the small carabiner.
I tried this S-Biner, but it was too big and didn't feel right.

You mean these?

these are for cocaine you guys

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

blugu64 posted:

Just don't get one in scary black/green/etc. Make it bright blue/yellow/etc and nobody cares because it looks like a toy.

Yeah the kids love it!

Sent from my iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Frankenstyle posted:

gently caress I'm still laughing at this

• Locked thread