Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
ben heck is an old dweeb on u-tub who prototypes cool gadgets including portable-ized classic consoles. light on the awkward comedy, no lame gimmicks, just an old nerd and his DIY electronic projects.

in this video he's trying to fix a rare or one of a kind sony playstation/snes combo console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-CyGXMabg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i love this guy too he always keeps it real and retro. He gives his audience credit for knowing whats up and whats hot in the retro gaming news business. lets give him a like and subscribe to show support for a fun guy who really knows his stuff!

(did not click)

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
how could you know those things about the ben heck show if you didn't click?????

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I recently saw this YouTube as well. He's the guy who made all those really cool portable n64 and GameCubes before phone tech really caught up. [Sorry, you did mention this]

His show is kinda weird though, it comes across like an old g4 tech tv show but uses YouTube formatting which is more favorable to less strictly structured scripts.

For those who didn't click or don't know, Ben got his grubby mitts on what is likely the only prototype model of the original PlayStation when Sony and Nintendo were gonna make it together.

It's basically a super Nintendo with a CD drive. He cracks it open and figures out it must've been purposefully demodded so he cinches it back together and gets the sound to work again.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 6, 2016

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
oh ya i remember reading his website back in like 2003 when modding the dreamcast was stil la thing

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

scott zoloft posted:

how could you know those things about the ben heck show if you didn't click?????

a youtube thumbnail is worth a thousand words

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
ben heck is a bit of a poseur he never really invents anything he just cuts it up and solders it back together in a new case

back in the day he talked a lot of poo poo about dudes in the hacker community (that actually reverse engineered and emulated various video game consoles) and made kind of an rear end of himself

what was the "girl hacker" who invented the commodore 64 in a stick thing? she got a lot of similar hype - then i watched her youtube show and it was unimpressive

big clive and eevblog are the only youtube channels with actual electronics guys I think

e: photonicinduction is cool but he is more about blowing stuff up and not so much educational

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
yeah he didn't strike me as someone who's dumping firmwares by probing memory buses, but i do enjoy his chop and resolder projects.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
why would you need to mod the dreamcast it didn't have any copy protection you can just burn games to CDs all you want straight out of the box.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

why would you need to mod the dreamcast it didn't have any copy protection you can just burn games to CDs all you want straight out of the box.

there was a region mod (solder the jumper that says jpn/eu) that let you play imports way before utopia released their boot cd and kickstarted the "scene"

also various video mods

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
http://devcast.dcemulation.org/gallery/gallery2.php mines the one with the spitfire stickers

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i watch ben hell cause i'm hardcore

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ben heck is both the mythbusters guys smushed together

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

bring back old gbs posted:

ben heck is both the mythbusters guys smushed together

Lol this is a thought I had that hadn't crystallized

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The teardowns are cool and good from a nerdy standpoint just because of his incredibly knowledge base, the goofy projects are less interesting but still pretty dope.

Felix is the fuckin man though.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGHKe7Fr_g

This is the only thing that I care about that's from Ben Heck

P.S. just skip to 13:00 mark

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 7, 2016

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
His spring-loaded "soldering gauntlet" is one of the coolest things I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_J2_uI8kyE

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I bought Ben Heck's first book a long time ago and it's kinda fun. It has all kinds of information and steps on making consoles portable. He goes into detail on testing components and removing useless parts and it's very helpful. Then there's always a step like, "use your CNC machine to make a custom case" with no further details. The jump from using a simple multimeter and soldering iron to mastering a $50k machine is pretty jarring.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought this was a thread about bullying Ben Affleck tbqh

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I like the the content of his videos but i hate his jokes and the intro and the skits but that's youtube for you

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

SpaceAceJase posted:

I like the the content of his videos but i hate his jokes and the intro and the skits but that's youtube for you

i think they work because he's old and looks lame as hell

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Posted by Alexis KoRn

I think it's funny his show is sponsored by Element14 now

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

For someone who constantly talks about getting into electronics via design, he is a really uninspired designer. All the original cases he makes look identical, and totally fail to evoke the spirit of the thing he's modding, and he never tries to experiment with or improve interaction. His projects are mostly a stack of near identical boxes with flat laser cut faceplates with those gimpy little switches.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

For someone who constantly talks about getting into electronics via design, he is a really uninspired designer. All the original cases he makes look identical, and totally fail to evoke the spirit of the thing he's modding, and he never tries to experiment with or improve interaction. His projects are mostly a stack of near identical boxes with flat laser cut faceplates with those gimpy little switches.

There's a 3-part episode where he makes a ps3 / xbox 360 / WiiU combined box, out of wood, and he has several problems like getting a cd tray to open and other stuff that he mentions while building it. In the finale episode he finally tests it, and all he shows is him playing Arkham Knight on the Xbox 360, he doesn't verify whether the WiiU or the PS3 work and I'm pretty sure its because they don't, also since the case is wood it probably overheats and warps the wood.

So basically, he's not the best engineer, he should change his name to Ben Hack!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Before the advent of yootoob his big thing was making portable versions of every console, they were pretty cool

IIRC his last one was a 360 laptop

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, his EE skills aren't super duper, but as someone who spent hours in high school playing fighting games by the lockers on stuff like this:
and I always drooled over some of his laptop-style creations.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
He made a guitar for a guy with one arm and a bunch of accessibility controllers. Those are pretty feel good.

Needs to clear his throat more. Maybe that's me being an intolerant rear end but it makes headphone watching a challenge.

EEVBlog and Great Scott! are also pretty good electronics channels.

Bill Barber posted:

Felix is the fuckin man though.
Now for the next part of the build I just need to solder these 50 tact switches ... oh hey Felix

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
felix and newer lady assistant are pretty good looking. makes ben look like even more of a cave troll than he used to.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i like when felix glumly explains what menial poo poo he's been tasked with by ben, while looking visibly irritated that he's using his engineering background to be a youtube sidekick.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Felix designed a bridge that collapsed and killed 50 school children and a truck load of puppies. He can only legally practice engineering on youtube.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna pretend that's true

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
lol i have an irl friend named ben heck, weird

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I love poo poo like this, so thanks! Sub'd! Rated 5!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Someone posted this in the tech relics thread and it's way cooler than heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y146v8HxE

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Someone posted this in the tech relics thread and it's way cooler than heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y146v8HxE

These are awesome but somehow I don't think I could ever make anything even close to that myself.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
does he still make those supid "portable" consoles that weigh like fifty pounds, are 18" square, and have a battery life of like eleven minutes?

because what the world really needs is a "portable" neo geo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pawn 17 posted:

These are awesome but somehow I don't think I could ever make anything even close to that myself.

Honestly the fact he makes all the fasteners by hand is the most crazy part

• Locked thread