Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i dunno jastiger, how many people graduate in the average des moines iowa high school?

hoover class of 1999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Pope Mobile posted:

100 people, about six were pregnant. One of them was knocked up by the security guard.

I guess he kept something secure...

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Twenty-nine in my graduating class, no moms or dads or pregos.

Jastiger, do I get bonus points since I was educated in the shadow of Des Moines?

Almost forgot, my son's best friend moved to some poo poo hole in Kansas (I know it's redundant) and graduated in a class of four.

Where?

DrPossum posted:

i dunno jastiger, how many people graduate in the average des moines iowa high school?

hoover class of 1999

I don't know I didn't graduate from Des Moines schools.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Plano had like 4,000 students graduating in 2009 between 3 hihschools. IIRC mine was around 1200. I can't find any specific numbers but it was a lot of people, and everything about the graduation ceremony was a tedious nightmare. I was running late, the district had to rent out a convention center in dallas. if you're familliar with dallas, prior years it had been held at reunion arena before it was closed and blown up.

so i had to get a cap and gown last minute because i had every intention of not goin to the ceremony and then my mother busts into my room and screams at me for not getting the gown yet. Then the day of we were running late, going from where I lived far east plano to the convention center in the bleeding heart of dallas somewhere around the mix master, then i'm basically half sprinting half slipping my gown on and running for the meeting area where I had to check in, be inspected for any hidden prank-making hardware, making sure i met the proper dress code underneath the gown, and my last name starts with B so when we finally get seating and start walking down the stage, i'm probably the ~80th name called, but I can't just leave or they'll withhold my diploma and make me pay a fine to have my transcripts sent to any college i want to go to.

I was recovering from stress-induced psychosis, hearing a din of voices and feeling intensely paranoid

but someone heckled the valedictorian and they didn't handle it well at all & that was pretty funny i guess.

if you read this and you're still in highschool, if you have a large graduating class: skip that poo poo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hemophilia posted:

if you read this and you're still in highschool, if you have a large graduating class: skip that poo poo.
haaaah, you think anyone on GBS is still in high school

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

symbolic posted:

haaaah, you think anyone on GBS is still in high school

you never know, but you're right it's unlikely.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

skellycakes posted:

portable DVD player he smuggled under his robes during our graduation ceremony. :v:

There was about a case of empty beer cans among the seats after my class filed out. I didn't have any though. A couple qualuudes was good enough for me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Bout 100. None pregnant afaik.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
1000-1200, something like that. We Weren't the bad high school, but we kept all our pregnant girls around. There were at least 20 or something.

But yeah graduations suck, don't ever go to big graduation or small ones for that matter.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

hemophilia posted:

I skipped mine for that very reason. Seemed like a lot of boring sitting around for poo poo I didn't care about. Everybody told me I would regret it and I never have.

Though on the flip side, I semi-regularly have nightmares where someone tells me that there was an error and I didn't actually finish high school, and they make me go back. I sometimes wonder if I'd still have those if I had attended graduation. Maybe my brain never got convinced that I graduated because one day I was in school as normal and then the next day I never had to go again. I guess my argument against that is that I also have a lot of dreams where my grandmother shows up, and I have to tell her she's dead and she can't be here. I definitely went to her funeral, so maybe the take away is just that dreams are hosed up.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

I skipped mine for that very reason. Seemed like a lot of boring sitting around for poo poo I didn't care about. Everybody told me I would regret it and I never have.

Though on the flip side, I semi-regularly have nightmares where someone tells me that there was an error and I didn't actually finish high school, and they make me go back. I sometimes wonder if I'd still have those if I had attended graduation. Maybe my brain never got convinced that I graduated because one day I was in school as normal and then the next day I never had to go again. I guess my argument against that is that I also have a lot of dreams where my grandmother shows up, and I have to tell her she's dead and she can't be here. I definitely went to her funeral, so maybe the take away is just that dreams are hosed up.

No, I get those dreams and I guarantee your attendance would have shifted the reason to your grade for X core class you barely passed has been recently reviewed, and your demonstrated competency in advanced basket weaving is below the modern threshold, and you therefore no longer have a diploma.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

hemophilia posted:

My school wouldn't let us skip it since it was a private school and the students had to look like they were proud of their school or some poo poo.

They also took all the guys into the locker room beforehand and had us empty out all our pockets and take off our shoes to make sure we weren't hiding anything.
Thank gently caress I don't go there anymore.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mnemosyne posted:

I went to my graduation and I still have dreams where I'm panicking about failing some class and I'm rushing to get there and I realized poo poo I left my project at home (which was half assed anyway)

brains are just stupid assholes

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Graduations seem cool in theory but look extremely tedious. My school had like 20 people attend ours and it was too long for even then.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Adair-Casey

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The only good part of graduation was the hilarity when the roll call got to the vietnamese. Of the 1300 people at least 80 were named John Nguyen and there were many more lady Ngyuens. all of the johns had to wear numbers or something crazy to keep it straight

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum
About 250. Only one or two knocked up as I recall, and only one car crash death during high school. I like those odds!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

hemophilia posted:

all of the johns had to wear numbers to keep it straight

Great post/av combo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lets play pomp and circumstance over and over 40 times.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
20 or so. I don't remember exactly because who loving cares.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
pump my circumcised dick

piratesdontskip
Apr 9, 2009
My graduating class was supposed to have 28 originally, keep in mind that this was in a K-12 school in Central Illinois where everyone basically grew up together. Of all of us, 1 ended up flunking senior year during the last 2 weeks and transferred districts, 2 dropped out, and 1 of those who dropped out did because she was pregnant. Strangely, 1 girl was from a family that encouraged all the women to live like Mormons (IE: get married young, have a million kids)-she graduated engaged, and nearly 10 years on, is still married to the guy and has like 4 kids.

Basically, to be considered "successful" in my graduating class, you have to be married, with at least 2 kids, a college degree you don't use (because you're a SAHM), and you have to live in or around your hometown...while attending all of the high school football games. Small towns are loving weird.

Also, we had 2 valedictorians and 2 salutatorians. Don't remember who they were, but they made the already boring ceremony unbearable.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
my grad class was 644, we were over 1000 entering as freshmen lol

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its kind of weird how my class ended up. A good third or so of the class ended up staying in that small town. Its kind of depressing.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jastiger posted:

Its kind of weird how my class ended up. A good third or so of the class ended up staying in that small town. Its kind of depressing.

this is normal and even less that average probably dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i didnt graduate high school op

• Locked thread