Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Problem description: I just built a new PC and I did something a little wacky to transfer over files from the old PC that I didn't want to lose. What I did is:

1) Build new PC
2) Install windows 10 (new license) on new SSD on new PC
3) Fiddle around on chrome, etc for about 30 minutes to verify everything was working okay
4) Shutdown new PC
5) remove new SSD from new PC
6) Install new SSD in old PC with a different windows 10 license (old pc was powered off at the time)
7) boot up old pc
8) copy files from old HD in old PC into a new folder on the new SSD ( windows said it was going to take about 90 minutes to move everything over so I went to bed)
9) woke up in morning, spot checked a couple of files to verify they copied correctly
10) shut down old PC
11) went to work & came home from work
12) took new SSD out of old PC
13) installed new SSD back into new PC
14) boot new PC up
15) noticed copied files are missing.

Windows says all the files in my C drive (new SSD) only take up 17.5GB but also shows that I've used up about 80GB. So I'm guessing the files are still on there and windows is just being obstinate. How do I get windows to admit the files exist?

Attempted fixes: Showing hidden folders. Re-indexed Drive. Reset PC. . Double-checked all the folders windows admits exists (missing files aren't there)

Recent changes: Just built the new PC yesterday.

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

System specs:
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 660W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run SpaceMonger and see if it shows the files as being on the HD:

http://spacemonger.en.softonic.com/download

• Locked thread