Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 4: "Milk"
A subject I feel that's been coming up a lot with us lately is milk. Completely fixated on it. Why do we only drink cow and goat milk? What animals can you milk? What's their milk like? What's a buttery scone? I hope I never find out. Also how big are these wrestlers? We may never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Scones are pretty good. And super easy to make, too.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Scones are pretty good. And super easy to make, too.

I'd make scones only so I could throw them in the trash so nobody would have to eat them.

Here's a new episode where I make fun of Eric.

Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 5: "Splashing That White Stuff"
Headphone users beware: This episode starts off with a Christmas carol. I Want That Milk is a podcast that asks the important questions: What kind of milk do you want to drink? What are the fanciest kinds of milks? What kinds of cocktails can you sneak into the movies? Also, Eric fuckin' stepped in it.

I also got an itch to replay Dark Souls and I've been streaming my playthrough on Twitch. There's two episodes up on my YouTube if you want to see those. I'll be doing another one probably around 6 or so on Saturday. As always, you can catch me on Twitter to see when that's happening.

Thanks. :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Eric, you broke Sam :ohdear:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Eric, you broke Sam :ohdear:

Every time I hear the change in Eric's voice as he realizes what he's saying, who he's saying it to, and how it's too late to back out, another year is added to my life span.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

In the final stretch of Portal 2, finally. Then something fun is going to happen. POSSIBLY.

Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 6: "My Father"
The Monster Mash is at it again. I've said it several times in this LP, but I genuinely do forget how to do the last several puzzles, so there's a bit of trial and error at play here. Tyler and I share some customer service stories. Just our usual bullshit.

And just documenting these for posterity, two more Dark Souls streams.

Let's Stream Dark Souls! - Part 3: "Guid's Blighttown Bash"
There's a reason I always skip Blighttown. We also take a leisurely stroll through Sen's Fortress. We are very embarrassed by Tarkus.

Let's Stream Dark Souls! - Part 4: "Jerry Lewis (1926-2017)"
Please do not steal my idea for The Nomad.

I'm probably doing another stream tomorrow (Thursday 8/31) at around 6PM Eastern where I'll hit Darkroot Garden and possibly New Londo Ruins. I'll see were the wind takes me. Check out my Twitter if you want to know wen I'm streaming.

GOOD BYE.

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 11, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Here's the final episode of Portal 2.

Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 7: "The Part Where He Kills You"
Nobody knows the CGI orange man Eric is talking about and nobody knows the Ween song I'm talking about. We're all even. Look, I've got nothing to prove to you people. Have some Gushers and chill out. RIP Bob Ross.

I also did some more stupid Dark Souls streams I'll add here for fun.

Let's Stream Dark Souls! - Part 5: "Horseplay Policy"
A productive trip to visit Darkroot Gordon in Darkroot Garden, then it's off to the Catacombs!!
Let's Stream Dark Souls! - Part 6: "Orange Foot"
Let's just get this out of the way: The first half of the game is a lot better than the last half of the game.
Let's Stream Dark Souls! - Part 7: "I Want That Meatball"
Ditching an attempt at the DLC is a shameful act, but I promise I'll be back. I WILL RETURN!!!!
Let's Stream Dark Souls! - Part 8: "Big Slimy White Dragon"
Please don't judge me for my new fursona. Also don't judge me for getting completely wrecked by an invader.

Also if you catch this in time, I'm about to actually start another [/url=http://www.twitch.tv/samu3lk]Dark Souls stream TONIGHT[/url]!! At 6. So like 5 minutes after this is posted.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Shifting gears for a bit here. It's October and that means... ITS SPOOKY VIDEO GAME MONTH!!!!

Let's Play Layers of Fear! - Part 1: "Wolf Boy"
I'll be honest, I lost track of time playing this game because I was really getting into it! There's a drunk guy and a lady fighting like cats and dogs through passive-aggressive notes and one of them might be crazy. Can we get to the bottom of this mystery? PROBABLY!!

Gonna be posting a video or doing a livestream every day I can in October. Also, Tyler and I are livestreaming horror movies literally every night. I'm gonna post links to our streams and stuff on my twitter.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play Layers of Fear! - Part 2: "Wheelchair"
I wonder if modern health plans will pay for an old timey wooden wheelchair. I wonder if they'd pay for one of those weird horns deaf people used to hold up to their ears like in cartoons. I wonder if they even still make those. Wow.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play Layers of Fear! - Part 3: "Grandpa's Medals"
Tyler's voice does the weird thing where it gets really low again. None of us know why it happens. perhaps his microphone is... haunted!! The best way to tell is if it's glitching and jittering around and then suddenly flies across the room.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play Layers of Fear! - Part 4: "Evil Dead 2 poo poo"
I really don't know what they were going for with all the baby dolls, but boy oh boy I can't imagine it could have been "hysterical laughter".

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Running a little late tonight because I MOVED. But I cannot be DETERRED!! ONE VIDEO EVERY DAY IN OCTOBER!!!! Tomorrow will be late too though because I ran out of buffer.

Let's Play Layers of Fear! - Part 5: "Dianetics"
Here are some facts about Eric: 1) Running for Congress 2) Dad designs weapons for the military 3) There's a dog that lives in his bath tub 4) He's a Scientologist and has met Tom Cruise. There are more, but you have to keep watching the videos to find out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Portal I always considered that GLaDOS wasn't insane due to the computer part, but for the part that was Caroline. After all her boss had her murdered and her brain shoved into a computer. It's not surprising that she's so annoyed with Chell, that wasn't the first time she died even if she didn't consciously remember, but we see that the part that is the body only exists to make the core want to test, and the only thing the core cares about is the science. I wouldn't be surprised if the initial Neurotoxin attack, initially thought to be a computer losing her mind, was actually Caroline taking revenge in the only way she could, taking advantage of Cave's naivete to gather the tools she needed to make her move. By the time we meet her, Caroline herself has been strapped down with so many cores trying to drown her out that she has forgotten everything that she was, all she remembers is burning hot rage, so she takes it out on anyone who happens to get close to her, drowning her anger in irrelevant data, incorrect facts, recipes for bakes goods and even a competing rage core trying to make her forget why she was mad in the first place. Caroline is nothing more than a ghost in the machine, she may as well be another core trying to drown out GLaDOS's better judgement by the end, so like all the others, she has to go.

In a way, the Portal games are not an escape, but a rescue - Chell saves GLaDOS from Caroline, and Apertures toxic environment finally allowing her to work in peace. In destroying her cores in the first game, and letting her know Caroline existed in 2, she gives her clarity of purpose that she never knew she didn't have.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Should be a stream tomorrow of some horror game or another. Keep your eyes peeled on my Twitter to see when it's gonna be. Probably around 6PM Eastern.

Let's Play Layers of Fear! - Part 6: "Rugrats"
Bwoom-Ba-baaaaaaaaa (Doo doo-doo-doooooo) bwwoolmmm. Hey guys that was e trying to spell out the Rugrats title card jingle. This is seriously a game where we play most of the time as a half-blind one years old baby it appears. I can't see poo poo.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Did a stream tonight, doing another one Monday. ITS HALLOWEEN.

Let's Play Layers of Fear! - Part 7: "Clown Festival"
Listen, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Furthermore, don't give me MegaBloks and tell me they're Legos. It's a real shame that a game I enjoyed had such a lackluster DLC for us to end on. OH WELL! WHATEVER. WHO CARES.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lagging behind currently at episode 4, but could it be that the off-centre interact cursor is trying to be realistic? The hand always appears relative to the cursor in the same positions hands would appear relative to your eye - you don't open things with your cursor because you don't open things with your eyes, maybe? Or is it just poor calibration? Also that rat you followed was actually adorable. Just sitting up expectantly at each corner waiting for you like a puppy. :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 8, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Lagging behind currently at episode 4, but could it be that the off-centre interact cursor is trying to be realistic? The hand always appears relative to the cursor in the same positions hands would appear relative to your eye - you don't open things with your cursor because you don't open things with your eyes, maybe? Or is it just poor calibration? Also that rat you followed was actually adorable. Just sitting up expectantly at each corner waiting for you like a puppy. :3:

I'm not sure what happened there, but for the whole game before and after that, pointing my cursor directly at objects gave me the interaction prompt. Probably just a glitch or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always prefer watching these horror games to playing them because I find the tension to be far too much just in the atmosphere. From Silent Hill 2 to Soma I get about 5 minutes in, the atmosphere builds and I just go "nope." and close the window. Oddly enough though, some games I'm fine with, I got quite far into the original F.E.A.R, Silent Hill 3 and Fatal Frame/Project Zero, for the first two I just stopped as I think I just didn't feel like picking them back up again, and for the last one I got stuck at a fairly late-game boss. I don't know what it is that delineates which horror games I can get through and which ones overload me.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

We recorded the first part of this series way back in April if you want to check that out before moving on to...

Let's Stream Little Nightmares! - Part 2: "Borrower Lore"
It's been a long time coming, but we finally get to meet Mama! How is she our mama if she's not also a Borrower though? Very strange. Perhaps I don't know as much as I thought. I bet Borrowers taste great, since everything is trying to eat me. Heck.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Every loving day it's Halloween in here. Layers of Fear: DONE. Little Nightmares: DONE. Next:

Let's Play DreadOut! - Part 1: "Shiba Inu"
It's time to play Indonesian Fatal Frame! Lots of ghosts to take photos of, very little time. Are we a police officer? Who knows. Why does taking pictures of ghosts kill them? Are they just shy? So many questions.

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 11, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play Dreadout! - Part 2: "Patty Cake"
I'm so glad I bought a legit copy of DreadOut so I could see these fantastic cutscenes. In this episode, we encounter a Naruto, a mean friend, a pig, and a hag. I get scared several times. Tyler still can't hear anything going on.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Stream The Binding of Isaac! - Part 1: "The Perfect Run"
This was recorded during Halloween Month and while it's not outwardly a horror game, it's got horror elements. Get off my rear end. Also this run was really loving good. Seriously.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I missed a single day of Halloween Month and I will never stop being embarrassed by that and I'm so sorry. Here's some more DreadOut.

Let's Play DreadOut! - Part 3: "Cutie Mark"
The most chilling thing we've found in the school so far is MLP fanart. For some reason, Eric and I are too stupid to figure this game out even with a guide, so please enjoy the next couple videos where we wander around getting lost and frustrated. Progress is eventually made.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Okay so I missed two days.

Let's Play DreadOut! - Part 4: "gently caress This"
Getting lost, trying new things, and even using a guide. Can two grown men of average intelligence figure out what to do in a video game for children? Nope. I promise you that progress is made in the next episode.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Okay fine I'm going every-other-day because I'm busier than I thought I'd be during Halloween Month.

Let's Play DreadOut! - Part 5: "Jack Snip"
Chilling words from Eric as he reads from the guide: "This boss will be the hardest boss in the game!" God I hope so. I don't think I've been this mad at a video game in years. Then we've got to put up with some sexy saxophone lady killing us with dancing. This is bullshit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just got through this video, saw how many more there were of this game and decided to skip to the next. I don't get the appeal of these games at all. There's nothing to it other than very occasional jump scares. It's long, slow and boring.

BioEnchanted posted:

With Portal I always considered that GLaDOS wasn't insane due to the computer part, but for the part that was Caroline.
I had assumed that was the intended reading. What's Caroline even there for if she's not responsible for GlaDOS going crazy? Do most people think something different?

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Just got through this video, saw how many more there were of this game and decided to skip to the next. I don't get the appeal of these games at all. There's nothing to it other than very occasional jump scares. It's long, slow and boring.

I liked some of the trippy visuals coming up in particular, but you have a point. Layers of Fear could have done with some more puzzles to give you something other to do than walk around and be startled occasionally. I did like this game though.

Games like this also satisfy an itch I have to poke around in people's houses when they aren't home.

Tiggum posted:

I had assumed that was the intended reading. What's Caroline even there for if she's not responsible for GlaDOS going crazy? Do most people think something different?

I think you guys are on to something but for a couple things. For one, GLaDOS deletes Caroline immediately without a second thought. Also, Wheatley almost immediately goes nuts when he's given power over the facility. You could argue that it's because he is an idiot, but I read it more as a "absolute power corrupts absolutely" kind of deal.

Within the facility GLaDOS is basically omniscient. She can observe everything, control everything, and can decide who lives and who dies. Combine that kind of power with the addiction-like compulsion to observe tests and it's easy to see how any intelligent being would go batshit. Even after deleting Caroline, GLaDOS is just as sadistic and manipulative while she's testing with the robots during the co-op campaign.

To your point though, Caroline probably didn't help matters either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

samu3lk posted:

I think you guys are on to something but for a couple things. For one, GLaDOS deletes Caroline immediately without a second thought. Also, Wheatley almost immediately goes nuts when he's given power over the facility. You could argue that it's because he is an idiot, but I read it more as a "absolute power corrupts absolutely" kind of deal.
I never played the co-op so I can't comment on that, but Wheatley being insane is because he's only a fragment of a personality. Caroline wants to kill everyone because she's been condemned against her will to a hellish existence. Wheatley does terrible things because he's just not equipped to handle the position he finds himself in. One of them is a full person lashing out against a nightmare scenario. The other is a drugged up monkey pressing buttons because he's panicking and doesn't know what's going on.

And of course GlaDOS deletes Caroline, because Caroline is essentially a painful (and harmful) part of her psyche. But obviously GlaDOS is some kind of (simulation of) a mind, capable of learning and changing through experience, so having had those insane influences for so long has changed her as well. She may have gotten rid of the sources of the problems but the effects remain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly watching DreadOut, it definitely feels much less polished than Fatal Frame. I liked the way Fatal Frame used it's harmless ghosts as tutorials in a way even though some early ones were really easily missable due to how fast they went by, and the more freeform camera angle made it much easier to fight ghosts without being annoyed, as it seems that enemies in this like to get behind you and make you tank-spin 720 degreed before you spot them again. Although I do like the design of the Pig, how it has a normal boar face when just looking at it but as soon as the camera goes up you see the human face. That's cool.

As an aside BTW, Sam, did you ever play Get Even? It has a really good story so even if in your spare time and not in thread I highly recommend it. The presentation and music are fantastic.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly watching DreadOut, it definitely feels much less polished than Fatal Frame. I liked the way Fatal Frame used it's harmless ghosts as tutorials in a way even though some early ones were really easily missable due to how fast they went by, and the more freeform camera angle made it much easier to fight ghosts without being annoyed, as it seems that enemies in this like to get behind you and make you tank-spin 720 degreed before you spot them again. Although I do like the design of the Pig, how it has a normal boar face when just looking at it but as soon as the camera goes up you see the human face. That's cool.

As an aside BTW, Sam, did you ever play Get Even? It has a really good story so even if in your spare time and not in thread I highly recommend it. The presentation and music are fantastic.

I'm willing to forgive DreadOut its lack of polish because it's an indie game. I'm really enjoying the Indonesian folklore stuff because honestly it's something I know next to nothing about. Also I hadn't even heard of Get Even, but I looked it up and it looks like something I'd probably enjoy. I'll have to pick it up eventually.

We'll get back to more DreadOut, but we took a little diversion to play this game:

Let's Play FAItH! - Part 1: "Amy"
Earlier in the week, Eric sent me a mysterious .exe through our shared Google Drive account and refused to explain to me what it was. This all sounds very mysterious but it turns out it was just this game. No big deal.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Happy Halloween

Let's Play FAItH! - Part 2: "Fushigi"
Apparently Amy was a contact juggling enthusiast before the demon came into her life. Hope you guys like the great finger animations on display here because we'll be seeing it a lot.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Happy Halloween again and Hail Satan. Here's the end of FAItH

Let's Play FAItH! - Part 3: "Chupacabra"
There are more endings to this game, and we recorded them, but the video was lost, the save file for the game was lost, we tried to record a speedrun where I caught up and recorded the others, and then I got frustrated and quit. Perhaps that's the spookiest ending of all!

We recorded some more horror game stuff so I'll keep posting them!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In part 2 did you ever notice that she was following the lines of the pentagram? Just stand between the points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

In part 2 did you ever notice that she was following the lines of the pentagram? Just stand between the points.

Yeah, I picked up on that but she's got kind of a big hit box and you move so slowly that standing in one place wasn't really an option. She also repeats her pattern eventually and picking up on that was how I beat her.

• Locked thread