Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Americans are mostly into either outrage or sports. That's why everyone gets worked up about crossovers like Colon Kaepernick, But yeah, lots of people just like being outraged. The counterculture of the future is indifference. We can already see the beginnings with BLM loudmouths complaining about neutral people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
TheImmigrant fighting hard for universal human rights and international law

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

The Kingfish posted:

Action Jackson has been a catalyst for social change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AvMn2Vh0fQ

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

furiouskoala posted:

Americans are mostly into either outrage or sports. That's why everyone gets worked up about crossovers like Colon Kaepernick, But yeah, lots of people just like being outraged. The counterculture of the future is indifference. We can already see the beginnings with BLM loudmouths complaining about neutral people.

"Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

-A Noted BLM Loudmouth

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

"Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

-A Noted BLM Loudmouth

Or, to rephrase, "The good is the enemy of the perfect."

Losers gonna lose.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TheImmigrant posted:

Losers gonna lose.

Props for having the balls to call Martin Luther King a loser, I guess.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ze Pollack posted:

Props for having the balls to call Martin Luther King a loser, I guess.

Well obviously, he did all that work pro bono and probably never even mentioned what a bargain people were getting compared to his usual hourly rates.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ddraig posted:

Well obviously, he did all that work pro bono and probably never even mentioned what a bargain people were getting compared to his usual hourly rates.

TheImmigrant posted:

Losers gonna lose.

the perfect response, really

who cares if he also stroked his ego, we're not evaluating whether he's the most righteousest person but whether he does useful things

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How is 'useful' defined?

I'm no longer addicted to outrage because I see this world and its machinations for what they are. The human condition is not meant to perpetuate forever, it is something to be experienced and overcome. Ego is an error and any situation you find yourself in can be recognized as a stepping stone if you want to see things that way.

Do - Session 12 posted:

This kingdom and every element on it, everything that goes into making an automobile or a house or a company or anything else, belongs to the Chief of Chiefs and His Kingdom, the God of Gods. It does not belong to humans. Humans play a little game of copy-cat by saying, "I want to own this, I want to stake this off, it's mine." It isn't his, he's just playing a game. Now if he has the attitude that it isn't "mine," he's at least a little closer. If he has the attitude of saying, "This is just entrusted to me as the keeper of it, and I'll do the best I can." And if the day comes when a Representative is there with the transition available, the day is come if you're someone who might be capable of connecting with this and know your Father.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

How is 'useful' defined?

I'm no longer addicted to outrage because I see this world and its machinations for what they are. The human condition is not meant to perpetuate forever, it is something to be experienced and overcome. Ego is an error and any situation you find yourself in can be recognized as a stepping stone if you want to see things that way.
Do you need help? Are you being held in the cult compound by force?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

blowfish posted:

the perfect response, really

who cares if he also stroked his ego, we're not evaluating whether he's the most righteousest person but whether he does useful things

of course, when he evaluates himself as more useful than Noted Loser Martin Luther King Jr., well

tells you a little something about where y'all coming from, don't it.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
I'm pissed off as hell. GBS is gone. So i have to come here. I see the thread title with the word "Outrage" and I read this OP, which is to long for my limited attention span. And that pisses me off, so I have to try to read it again.

It doesn't make sense. That makes me angry. And that feels good. I feel empowered, (but also stupid). I must be mad.

Please make another thread.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Forgall posted:

Do you need help? Are you being held in the cult compound by force?

lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

on the left posted:

Don't you think the standard of living makes a big difference? People in poor countries generally live in lovely houses with poor services and a lot of social problems, they aren't getting some sort of special deal on living expenses.

You're right, it does, but the calculations I've seen for the "global 1%" just blindly take average income.

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

Oh, come the gently caress on.

Charity only counts if the percentage of your gifts/your wealth reaches a certain level?

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by denigrating the act of doing ~2 weeks of free work. It's not like dude claimed to be a world-changer.

All (beneficial) charity work is good, but whether it actually warrants any exceptional praise depends upon how much it impacts the person's lifestyle. If a person is wealthy and chooses to give up some of his/her money (but not time - thus the "doing pro bono work during normal work hours" thing), that is certainly better than if they didn't, but it doesn't exactly represent a notable sacrifice on their part. Someone who lives paycheck to paycheck and still squeezes in an hour or two of charity work on the weekends is far more laudable.

Think of it this way - if someone went out of their way to say "well I donated $20 to a charity" in the context of other people being "poseurs" it would not be unreasonable to think "lol seriously dude?" Like, the donation itself is a good thing, but it's such a minor good thing that you have to question why someone would feel the need to specifically bring it up in that context.

Another element to this issue is the fact that charity is objectively far easier for the wealthy than it is for the poor (or even many middle class), so using it as a benchmark for moral righteousness is questionable, to say the least.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I'm just always angry and I hate people. I hate liberals so I tend to read all the poo poo that they spew to keep the fire inside me burning.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

why someone would feel the need to specifically bring it up in that context.

Possibly if someone were asked what sort of activism they'd suggest, that someone would respond "well, I do..<this thing> that at least has a tangible impact compared to being Really Mad on the internet."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

nobodygetshurt posted:

In my experience, the kind of consumption of information that makes you angry is usually a byproduct of a larger issue. Usually something you're trying to avoid. I spent many years in my youth looking up news on injustice and it gave me something get furious about. Years later I realized that the anger existed way before the new articles, and I was just using the internet to channel it. It was a distraction that helped me avoid dealing with my own issues. My anger didn't have any current drama to latch onto, so news of events I couldn't possibly do anything about had to be the outlet.

I would rule out the root of the anger before concluding that it stems from online stuff.

It seems like a cliche but it's definitely true. I was just listening to some old marc maron podcasts and he talks about his years as a firebrand left wing radio guy. He reckons he just channelled all his anger and frustration at his own life into this and so did loads of people in that field.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

nobodygetshurt posted:

In my experience, the kind of consumption of information that makes you angry is usually a byproduct of a larger issue. Usually something you're trying to avoid. I spent many years in my youth looking up news on injustice and it gave me something get furious about. Years later I realized that the anger existed way before the new articles, and I was just using the internet to channel it. It was a distraction that helped me avoid dealing with my own issues. My anger didn't have any current drama to latch onto, so news of events I couldn't possibly do anything about had to be the outlet.

I would rule out the root of the anger before concluding that it stems from online stuff.
It's also an ego thing, I think. If you're getting worked up by an article or arguing about a topic on the internet, you're involved. You're hip to what's happening. You're potentially part of the solution, even if tangentially. Maybe you'll finally do something concrete. Maybe you'll persuade the person you're arguing with, or at least someone else who's reading the thread. And it feels good to think you have the answer to some problem, whether or not you're repeating someone else's talking points.

It's all an illusion but it's an easy one to maintain if you keep plugging in.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

the trump tutelage posted:

It's also an ego thing, I think. If you're getting worked up by an article or arguing about a topic on the internet, you're involved. You're hip to what's happening. You're potentially part of the solution, even if tangentially. Maybe you'll finally do something concrete. Maybe you'll persuade the person you're arguing with, or at least someone else who's reading the thread. And it feels good to think you have the answer to some problem, whether or not you're repeating someone else's talking points.

It's all an illusion but it's an easy one to maintain if you keep plugging in.

People might also think breathing is good, or food is good or even exercise. Such people typically have thoughts like 'You're alive, that's good" or "I matter", thoughts that allow them to escape universal truth long enough, so that the things they do also matter. It is egotism that is a blessing so long as they are concerned with happiness, but once the thoughts turn from 'I matter' to "I need to understand X part of the world to improve it" (perhaps because they questioned the thought "I matter' and were wounded) they've taken a fatal turn in the mind that will affect them for the rest of their life. Of coarsh I am speaking of the dramatic egotistical fantasy along the lines of 'Making A Difference' or "Being Part Of The Solution', which leads to being worked up about things one cannot pissibly understand, let alone change.

A healthy ego understands there are lines it shouldn't cross in its thoughts, it prizes its contentment over self-ferment, trusts the intelligence that society is built upon and accepts that there are rules, changes and penalties laid out for the person's own benefit. Anyone who struggles against this is feeding an illusion becaush it strokes a wounded ego.

Deep Thought fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 13, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Minorities need to be upset less. Why can't they be calm and rational like me, the white middle class man? They really just like being offended if you ask me. I'm rarely offended about my oppression.

etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

Possibly if someone were asked what sort of activism they'd suggest, that someone would respond "well, I do..<this thing> that at least has a tangible impact compared to being Really Mad on the internet."

The problem is this implicitly assumes that the person they're talking to doesn't do any sort of activism (and as a result comes off as being incredibly condescending).

Also, I would argue that saying political stuff on the internet is not entirely worthless. Every single person who expresses a particular political belief in any setting helps add to a general perception that their opinion is mainstream and popular.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I would argue that saying political stuff on the internet is not entirely worthless. Every single person who expresses a particular political belief in any setting helps add to a general perception that their opinion is mainstream and popular.
Yeah I think the flip side of "Internet misogyny and racism is a thing anyone should care about" has to be "Internet activism has some positive effect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
It's probably similar to people watching other cringeworthy things, like daytime talk shows. Neither good nor bad.

• Locked thread