Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Problem description: My iMac is insanely slow. Even after restarting, it's slow as can be. A week ago it would almost instantly load Chrome or other apps (keep in mind, it is a 2009 iMac so not instant), but now it can take up to two minutes to load Chrome or other apps. Everything just hangs like the system is bogged down.

Attempted fixes: I have a time capsule so I tried to revert back to before I noticed the slowdown, loading a recent backup from a week ago, to no avail.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem? None that I'm aware of

--

Operating system:OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6

System specs: iMac 21.5 inch, late 2009. 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Through googling, one thing mentioned loading Activity Monitor and looking for Swapfile. I don't see any of those, but When I go to Memory and sort by memory, currently there is something called Installer taking up 14.75GB of memory and 13.95 GB (though the compressed number changes) of Compressed memory. When I first started the computer up there were 4 Installers and I force quit them all. There is also something called kernal_task which is 8.76GB of memory but 0gb of compressed memory.

I just restarted and the installed is back on...13.8gb, 12.5 of which is compressed.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Voting dying harddrive, but I'm not an Apple guy so I can't really offer any suggestions on how to confirm.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Running the OS X disk utility application will detect some HD issues.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zogo posted:

Running the OS X disk utility application will detect some HD issues.

Do you think my HD is dying versus having something weird installed on there?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I didn't get any notifications of there being issues but here's what the utility disk app looks like:

Seems like there are a lot of installers there, not sure what for though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SMDFTB posted:

So I didn't get any notifications of there being issues but here's what the utility disk app looks like:

Seems like there are a lot of installers there, not sure what for though.

Have you clicked the First Aid button? That's what runs the basic diagnostic tests.

SMDFTB posted:

Do you think my HD is dying versus having something weird installed on there?

In my experience I've seen more dying HDs than strange OS X issues (especially because you're OS is up to date) but there's no way to be sure.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zogo posted:

Have you clicked the First Aid button? That's what runs the basic diagnostic tests.

In my experience I've seen more dying HDs than strange OS X issues (especially because you're OS is up to date) but there's no way to be sure.

Yeah I ran first aid and it just said it was done/complete. There were no error messages that I saw.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SMDFTB posted:

Yeah I ran first aid and it just said it was done/complete. There were no error messages that I saw.

That means the HD is probably okay.

I'd run this and see if it finds any junk:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5238-cleaner-crap-cleaner-for-mac.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zogo posted:

That means the HD is probably okay.

I'd run this and see if it finds any junk:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5238-cleaner-crap-cleaner-for-mac.html

This didn't do anything...installers kept popping up. However, I ended up googling the name of the installers and the file path they were going to and sure enough-it was malware (Genieo and a bunch of other poo poo). Ran Malwarebytes anti-malware and it's gone for now...

• Locked thread