Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Problem description: Ever since a few days ago whenever I play any 3D game my display drivers crash and they don't recover, I have to restart the computer to get them back. This has happened in the Dead Rising 1 remaster, Bioshock remastered and Warcraft so I cannot imagine it's a problem with a specific game or software.

Attempted fixes: I ran DDU to get rid of all remnants of old drivers, then did a complete reinstall of Windows when that didn't work, which didn't help. I've also tried running a highly graphically intensive benchmark to see if my card wasn't getting enough power, which isn't the case. It appears to happen at random intervals, sometimes I can be playing for ten minutes and it'll crash, other times I can play up to an hour before it happens. Rolling back drivers wasn't a solve either.

Recent changes: The closest thing I could even fathom that would be a 'recent change' hardware-wise (since it's happening on a fresh Windows install I can't imagine it's software causing the issue) would be that my headset broke and I've been having to use cheapo Logitech desktop speakers. However, I've tried using the broken headset as well and it happens when I use that too so I have no loving clue.

--

Operating system: 64x Windows 10 Education

System specs: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz, ASUS P8Z77-V LX, NVIDIA GTX 970, Thermaltake Smart M850w PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

e: For the record I do know that it's specifically just killing my display drivers, since a few seconds after each incident if I'm in a call with someone I can still hear them and they can hear me.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I ran GPU-Z and then played Dead Rising until it crashed, here's the log
http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3s/1474157105436.txt
There doesn't seem to be anything out of place even at the very end but maybe someone more savvy than I might spot a problem.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/HelpDesk_Download/

Also, run memtest overnight at some point:
http://www.memtest.org/

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My BIOS is up to date, I'll run memtest tonight.

All day yesterday I ran into zero crashes but now all of a sudden it's doing it again so I have no idea what the gently caress.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So I switched GPUs from the 970 to an older 680 and switchced PCI-E slots, and that stopped the crashing for about two days and now all of a sudden it's back. I'm guessing then that the issue has to be the PSU or something but I have no idea why switching cards would be a-okay for days at a time and then all of a sudden it's like "nah".

It also seems like they're now crashing just doing normal browsing.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 23, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try using the onboard GPU temporarily and seeing if the crashes continue or not.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are you getting the "Display driver has stopped responding but recovered" error message when it doesn't just blackscreen?

In the Nvidia control panel do you have the power setting to "Prefer maximum performance?"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you getting the "Display driver has stopped responding but recovered" error message when it doesn't just blackscreen?

In the Nvidia control panel do you have the power setting to "Prefer maximum performance?"

I don't think I've ever gotten the "recovered" message, it'll just blackscreen. Sometimes it'll restart my computer, sometimes I have to do it manually. Some times my computer won't properly restart until I flip the switch on the PSU (I'll press the power button and it'll sound like things are powering on but I won't get the *beep* from the motherboard)

And I do believe I have max performance on yes.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 25, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That you have problems booting suggests a power issue, quite possibly with the PSU itself. Having the same problem with two different video cards and the inconsistent manner in which it is happening could be related to differences in how the cards draw power. If the 12v rail on the PSU going wonky then symptoms like this would make sense.

I was asking about the error messages mainly because it has been a really bad year for Nvidia drivers in general, but since you are getting issues before the OS even loads it sounds more hardware related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That you have problems booting suggests a power issue, quite possibly with the PSU itself. Having the same problem with two different video cards and the inconsistent manner in which it is happening could be related to differences in how the cards draw power. If the 12v rail on the PSU going wonky then symptoms like this would make sense.

I was asking about the error messages mainly because it has been a really bad year for Nvidia drivers in general, but since you are getting issues before the OS even loads it sounds more hardware related.

I did order a new PSU assuming it was the issue under a similar logic, it should be in in the next couple of days so I'll know for sure. It's 'fairly' old (2012-2013 maybe), rather cheap and only bronze certified so I figured it wouldn't have a super long shelf life.

• Locked thread