Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reading
Jul 27, 2013
Problem description: I dual boot Linux (Xubuntu) and Win7 using GRUB. I recently decided to replace my 1TB disk drive with a 1TB solid state drive. After cloning the HD, I can boot from the SSD just fine in linux if I unplug the old HD, but Windows will not boot. It wants me to put in my original Windows 7 disk which I don't have any more so it can "repair".

Windows will still boot just fine from the old hard drive but if I have both drives plugged in, even if I tell the BIOS to boot from the SSD it always boots from the old HD in both OS's. How can I make the system only boot from the new SSD and not treat it like an accessory, and how can I get Win 7 to boot from the cloned install on the SSD?

Attempted fixes: I've tried using Gparted to remove the boot flag from the old HD so I can leave it plugged in to use as a spare drive and not the primary one but that didn't work. I don't understand why the BIOS settings are not being obeyed and both OS's are still booting from the old drive.

Recent changes: Cloned old HD to new SSD.

--

Operating system: 64 bit win 7, 64 bit linux Xubuntu

System specs: Desktop, ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM
Old HD: 1TB western digital

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeekCom
Jan 9, 2014
Sounds like the boot sector for windows got messed up. Did you try wiping the drive and cloning again?

Also what is stopping you from grabbing the Win 7 ISO and burning that? As long as you have your serial number it shouldn''t be a problem.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Well, I tried making a repair disc in Windows and then rebooting from the SSD but Windows wouldn't accept the repair disc. It asks me to insert it, I do, I hit enter...then the system restarts and same thing happens.

Now that you mention burning an ISO and just reinstalling I think I'll do that. I have the key.

• Locked thread