Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Fre: +0 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

"Sol, I apologize for the outcome of the interview. This was in fact not my intention. But rest assured, this interview with Akira was in addition to the general press one. I did mention the heroics of both you and Artemis specifically, as well as Arc's."

Following that, her tails droop a bit.

"Akira... offered valuable information on our foe in regards for some 'juicy' information, and it was a trap I fell into. I intend to merely tell her that a relationship in the team existed, and nothing more. However, I was unable to communicate that to Frost Guard, and he blathered it out." Kitsu explained.

Kitsu then walks forward and puts her hand on Sol's shoulder.

"Both you and Artemis are very welcome in this team, and great additions to it. Remember, some of the greatest heroes and warriors were simple men and women. I sincerely hope this rocky start does not break this team. I sense it has large potential."

And with that, her tails glowed once again, but instead of an ominous atmosphere it turned into relaxing one for a moment.. The curse on Akira had been lifted - it was not worth the risk of being removed off the team, and it was still a very powerful message to Akira. One hopes she does not attempt this again.

Messing with Dance Commander was an unintended but amusing side effect to this.

Kitsu confirms that you should be on this team! Also, while she's obviously seeing you as a normal human, she also sees a hero in you! -Freak, +Savior.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak: -1 | Danger: +0 | Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Artemis catches Sol's eye, and gives a quick smile. But she can't keep the worry off of her face. She felt so... exposed! It was awful for someone to talk about her private life to some complete stranger. She thought these people were her friends. Artemis had been so happy. She had her own unit. They worked well together. They LIKED her.

Maybe she was wrong.

With Dance commander out of the room, she slumped a little in her seat. Putting her head in her hands. Trying to clear her mind.

"Guys.... what the hell happened? We had an amazing first mission. And since then it's exploded on two fronts. The stuff that Kitsu and Frost said to the press, and the bag incident."

"And I can't for the life of me work out why ether of them happened. Boss, why, in gods name would you take the bag. You know, the one the bad guys were trying to steal, away on your own? Do you want to get jumped? Because that's how you get jumped." She looks next at the fox-girl. "And Kitsu. Why would you say any of that? To the Press of all people. Do you not see how damaging disrespect towards our superiors is? It makes us look arrogant, and ungrateful, it makes us look unprofessional, Childish. Plus now you've put it out there that me and Sol are in a relationship. I get that you walked into a 'trap' from the reporter. But you've got to be aware that they're going to try and weasel all kinds of info out of you. If I recall that's the exact same reporter who's written a number of damaging articles about public figures. Heroes especially. Like she had one about that council member... Can't remember their name. You've got to be aware of this kind of stuff!

Artemis looked at the floor pensively.

"Because of what you and Frost have said, if a bad guy wants to get at Sol or Me, they're going to target us to get to the other. You've put a target on our backs. We're supposed to be a team, we're supposed to watch each others backs, look out for one another... We can't do that if no one communicates, or comes up with plans and takes risks without consulting the team. That goes for everyone! I've got a report to write to CenCom, uh, sorry, Central Command. And I've no idea what to tell them... Because what can I say? 'I and Sol have a thing going?', 'our leader has no respect for the older generations of heroes and flies off the handle at the slightest provocation?' 'the team member who turns into that super bad terrorist stole a bag of super dangerous weapons and got the poo poo kicked out of him? Then Ark made the bad explode in the middle of the city.'? None of it is going to look good. I'm scared. I'm scared they're going to make me leave the unit because it's going to make them look bad. I'm scared of going back to the Border where everyone treats me like worthless dirt. I'm scared that Pa is going to see that article and hunt down Sol."

Artemis closes her eyes, clasping her hands tightly in front of her, ears flat against her head.

- - -

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 26, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Fre: +2 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid, Guilty | Location: Wyld Hunt HQ

Arc doesn't say anything while Dance Commander rages. Call it left over from her time in the Order of the Short Circuit, but she was used to getting chastised and taking it with a quiet dignity. Not that this was particularly quiet right now, between the whole team shouting at Dance Commander and Dance Commander shouting back at all the team. Though Arc had to admit, having to treat this situation exactly how she had back in the cult was not encouraging. Dance Commander may be their supervisor in name, but Arc lost a great deal of respect for the man after the outburst. She expected better of the man giving them an example of what it means to be a hero.

As their fearless leader storms off, Arc sits down and places herself next to Fidel. She doesn't take a seat, instead sitting in the lotus position and levitating herself up. Electromagnetism was useful for all sorts of things. "I was going to stay here to make sure you got your injuries tended to anyway, Bossanova. So." She offers her team-mate a small smile. "What Dance Commander thinks does not matter, pay it no attention." She tries to tend to the perhaps emotional injuries Dance Commander's outburst may have inflicted. "You are you, and nobody else can tell you who you are. Not anybody out there, and definitely not the jerk who just stormed out of here." She smiles again.

"If I may suggest something, Kitsu?" Arc looks up at their leader. "The media are parasites. This reporter used your words to get a juicy story. But now you have a story on how she twisted your words, and that is something her competitors would love to slander her with."

"Artemis, being in the Heroes of Harmony painted a target on your back from day one. Sol is capable of looking out for himself, and so are you. Don't doubt your ability just because somebody else does." She didn't want to say all that much, the whole 'comforting people' stuff was still new to her and if she wasn't getting it right things would only get worse.

Thankfully, her communicator bleeps off and distracts her. She puts her hand to her ear and listens. "Brokkr? How did you get my communicator?" She asks at first, but the juicy info was far more important. "Cypheris? Did you read that in the news?" She wasn't sure just how much Kitsu had told that reporter about the last mission. "Any information is appreciated, Brokkr. But I'll have to call you back in a short while to confirm or not, now is not a good time to be discussing another mission for the team." And with that, she bloops her communicator and puts him on hold. Or hangs up. Or mutes him. She honestly didn't know how the communicator worked, the buttons could have done anything.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Fre: -1 | Dan: +2 | Sav: +1 | Sup: -1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"People out there want you badly, or at least, they want a second FORTISSIMO."

Fidel felt like all the fire in his gut just turned to ice. That wasn't on purpose, that was straight from the heart is why did he say that, who is after him. What the hell is going on. Fidel attempted to stand "Stanley wait!"

But he was already gone, he wordlessly flopped back into his seat, and winced. That could have gone better, Fidel knew, presumptuous little tit that he was when they were just boys Stanley was being a lot more sensible and careful then Fidel was, that is for certain. Damnit, he was younger then me in my proper time, and he's grown up and now has to worry about adult things, and I just snapped at one of my oldest friends because I didn't want to admit he was right. Arc told me she doesn't believe I am a second FORTISSIMO, and I believe her, but the others? I'm not so sure.

He winced a little at Artemis' scathing questions launched in his general direction, and he was about to answer them. Then she said the magic words.

'the team member who turns into that super bad terrorist'

The look on Fidel's face at that moment at that very moment she said those words was thunderous and very clearly indicated to all observers that a very severe faux pas had just been committed. "I acquired those guns. Because I was being very careless, and distracted by the prospect of shiny things and wanted them for myself. So I took them because I knew you as my sensible teammates would rightfully object, and that was very careless of me, I apologise."

"And I am assuming you are very rattled right now because I wouldn't have expected someone like you to just come out, and just casually link me to that monster." And now he was tearing up just a little. "That's a low blow Artemis, from strangers I expect it, from my old friends I probably would even say I deserved it, but you?" He had no words he wanted to share at this point, all he wanted was affirmation that his teammates didn't think he was going to turn into just another FORTISSIMO, and someone who he trusted just basically told him he was going to. Right to his face. Just like that. He got up, very quietly took his official bag of things holding them to his chest tightly, and quietly left the room.

"Excuse me, I have some work that needs doing."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 26, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Well, this was probably a dot on the cards. The team was full of heated emotions right now and words were being said that nobody really meant. But that didn't mean they didn't still hurt. Between Dance Commander ordering her, which she didn't actually put much concern into at all, and her worry over Bossanova's injuries, which she was actually quite concerned about still, she couldn't just let him stalk off on his own. Just in case something bad happened and he collapsed again.

Arc moves her feet back under her, and walks after Bossanova.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak: -1 | Danger: +0 | Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Artemis's hand shot to her mouth in wide eye'd shock, as Bossanova laid into her. She felt awful. Hell, she started getting a little teary too. She hadn't meant it. She'd been trying to point out how bad everything was... now she'd just hurt Bossanova in the same way that the Border Guard used to hurt her.

She hung her head, feeling like the worst person ever.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Fre: -2 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Dance Commander's Verbal Smackdown
Extra Gear: Runed Glasses (Latent Magic Perception)

Kitsu used her double-influence shift above for acknowledging that Sol belonged on the team. Marking Potential.

Well, things were looking a little better. At least for him. Artemis had acknowledged his presence with a smile, so clearly hope was not lost on that end. Kitsu had even acknowledged him as a real hero. She was certainly prone to flights of fancy and questionable judgement, but the ways of the Kitsune were known to be beyond the grasp of the shorter-lived races. I playfully ruffled her hair and smiled at her, "Thanks, Kitsu, that really means a lot. I'm still a little sore about the whole thing, but I'm glad you weren't just tossing us under the bus."

I resolved to prepare an extra-large offering for her tonight -- assuming I survived talking to my Mother and whatever members of the family decided to join in that... discussion. The argument between Artemis and Bossanova drew my attention back to the present. My eyes snapped up and I saw Bossanova and Arc leave the briefing room. Well, they should be able to figure out their end of things. Those two were spending a lot of time together. Artemis was looking pretty rough. Sounded pretty stressed. Was, of course, very cute. I should say something. I politely excused myself from that conversation -- time enough for a discussion on that later.

I walked over to Artemis and put my hand on her shoulder, "Hey, Artemis, it's going to be OK. I know that things are rough right now -- Goddess knows I'm going to have an interesting discussion waiting for me when I return to my family's shrine -- but we can make it through this. There were mistakes made, to be sure, but I doubt that people would make them again. Kitsu, for one, is certainly not going to go shooting her mouth off about the team to the press. Bossanova made a poor decision with the bag. That was truly unfortunate and we're lucky that nobody was killed. That won't happen again. We can learn from this and become stronger for the experience. So, my advice? Be honest. It's not going to do anyone any good to misrepresent the facts and I don't think anyone here wants you to get in trouble with your superiors. Mistakes were made, we will learn from them, and we will make different mistakes next time. We aren't the Heroes of Harmony. We're the Wyld Hunt. We're still coming together and learning how to best work with each other."

I sighed, scratched my head, and looked at her, "And, you know, yeah. There might be people who gun for you or me to hurt us. That's unfortunate. I'll be working hard. I'll put in more time at the Labs, trying to figure out how to keep up with everyone here. I don't want you to feel like I'm a way for people to get at you."

quote:

[16:13:41] <Tricky> Sol comforting Artemis
[16:13:44] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[16:13:46] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 =

Clear a condition, label shift, or potential if you open up!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior : +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential : 2/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Wyld Hunt Base

Frost Guard’s hands clenched into fists at his side as he listened to Dance Commander, the servo motors grinding slightly as he pressed his fingers into his palms. He had … mixed feelings on what had just happened. He saw Dance Commander being biased against Kitsu and using recent events to call her suitability for a team leader role into question. Cole hadn’t voted for Kitsu, he didn’t think that she’d enjoy the role after all, but she’d been elected and it was clear to him that she was actually trying to fill the post to the best of her ability. She was inexperienced, but she was his team captain, and he wasn’t about to stand aside while someone called her competence into question.

And then everyone else had stepped up as well.

On one side, he should be reassured. The team was already drawing together to fend off aggression. Unfortunately, the moment had only cemented their supervisor as an “Other”, a factor outside the group instead of one of them. That might’ve been inevitable, no one likes their boss after all, but Dance Commander struck him as the sort who’d rather have the respect and support of his subordinates. Given that the man ran interference for them with the higher ups, pushing him out only made their jobs harder in the end.

And then Kitsu had called down her curse, and his head turned to regard her with an audible “whirr”. That was … so Riavellian, making pacts with ancient spirits and getting punished for it. His mother had told him all manner of stories about what supposedly went on beyond the wall, about devils, and pacts, and curses that would strike the seventh son of the seventh son. The “enlightened” Fuseoner in him would’ve preferred letting the PR department draft a Slander charge against the Herald and have them force a retraction … but this was Harmonia, and he knew the legal team included a few devils on the staff, so he really had no idea whether this less formal arrangement was any harsher than what would come about naturally.

What he did know was that trying to use threats to silence the press was a fast track to being labelled tyrants. He didn’t say anything when he looked at Kitsu, simply squared his jaw and shook his head slightly when he believed she might see him. They’d get into it later.

His head turned just a little further than was strictly natural when Dance Commander left, regarding Sol as he challenged him and Kitsu. Tilting his head slightly to the side and crossing his arms across his chest, the light glow in his pale eyes seeming just human enough to be unsettling with its lack of expression. If Sol had known him longer, he might’ve recognize it as a defensive posture.

“If I didn’t think you were fit for the team, I’d tell you straight out.” He said plainly.

“It wasn’t the general press conference, it was an information exchange with a representative of a single newspaper. The two of you are plainly attracted to one another, I thought the two of you would be an item before the next time the whole team was up for public review. You’re public figures now, did you really think you’d be able to keep it out of the news for long? It was the most tantalizing, harmless piece of information I had to trade on the team, and had the potential to humanize us in the eyes of the public.” He said, the mechanical tone in his voice making him sound more calculating than like a kid making excuses. “It was a gamble, and it didn’t pay off the way I would’ve liked, but it’ll be my turn under the lamp soon enough.”

“As far as being a target goes, anyone who goes after either of you will have to deal with the whole team. That much was always true, it doesn’t matter if it’s Skavlan or Dance Commander.” He said, nodding his head to the door. There was a slight hesitation as his eyes fell on the screens recessed along the walls, a faint glaze of white frost already beginning to accumulate around the edges. drat it … his body was reacting to all the hostility in the air, and his own defensive stance wasn’t helping. He was “leaking” cold. He had to get out of here before it got even worse … even if he hated to leave things unsaid.

“…Forget it.” He said abruptly, letting out a sigh that came out as a puff of white air, tiny snowflakes dancing and whirring as they passed under the vents above them. “Seeing as how we’re confined to base, I can’t really act on what we found out anyway. I’m going to grab some air, you can think what you want.” He said, turning away and uncrossing his arms, shaking his head slightly. He moved quickly, his long stride helping him seem to move with purpose as he walked out of the briefing chamber and towards the main corridor, looking to move up into the base’s living space, towards the wind open space under a clear blue sky.

It wasn’t until he was out of sight that he let the mask slip, just a little, hugging his ribs and taking deep breaths, leaving icy footprints in his wake as his boots froze to the solid metal floor of the base’s interior, each new step having to break free and making him feel heavier than he was.

“Tsk … hold it together, Cole …” he mumbled to himself, just focusing on putting one foot in front of the other for the moment.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak: -1 | Danger: +0 | Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Artemis looked up at Sol. Her complexion had gone rather ruddy, the downside of crying is you never look good when doing it. She grabbed Sol's hand on her shoulder and just held it.

"No! Y-You're not! I don't think of you that way...!" She murmured. She needed to give context.

"I-I... I just..." She stopped and shook her head. "...W-When I was younger, I had a doll. I loved this doll, I took it everywhere with me. It was my closest friend, and we'd got on all sorts of adventures together. We'd spend hours talking and playing, just her and me." She smiled at the memory. "B-But then, one day, they found us. The trainies. They'd never liked me. I wasn't 'pure' I was 'the enemy' to them. They beat me until I couldn't move. Then they pinned me down and forced me to watch as they destroyed her in front of me. Just because they wanted to hurt me. I still have nightmares sometimes about that day."

She clenched her fists audibly.

"I can't bare the thought... No, I'm not going to let them touch you... I'm not going to let them touch any of you! You're my unit! My team! My friends...!"

She stood up and grabbed Sol, throwing her arms around him. She really was feeling quite delirious. Here she was, standing here, with her arms around this boy, crying her eyes out. Face buried into his shoulder.

"A scouts job is to protect their team! A scouts job is to watch their backs! Keep then standing! You're all too important to me! So I'll work to get better! So you won't ever have to worry!"

- - -
Opening up to Sol

Taking the potential, Artemis isn't quite ready to stop being guilty.

Level up! Yay!
- Add +2 to the Label your mentor embodies or denies
Adding to Denied label, MUNDANE. Mundane now at +3

- - -

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Post-Smackdown Hugfest

Frost Guard's words echoed in my ears. Hollow. Excuses. Did he believe that? He looked ready to fight me during the entirety of our brief exchange. Memories of my leg caught in his ice came back to mind. Perhaps we would continue the discussion later. Or, perhaps, I would just have to show him how wrong he had been on our next mission.

I held Artemis close to my chest. Sweet Amaterasu, it sounded like the Border Patrol was much less admirable than I had thought. My family situation was hardly ideal, but it paled in comparison to what I was hearing of hers. Well, there were my siblings. They... there had been some friction growing up. It was something of a family tradition to establish a firm hierarchy based on merit and potential. Influences of the Sun Goddess's blood, perhaps. The competitions had been notably one-sided. The pain of the wounds that ensued was little matter. I was prepared to face that. The shame of the rejection and ostracism that followed? I was not.

I could feel the emotions rushing upwards, bringing their heat to my eyes, "Artemis..."

I didn't know what to say. What I could say. That I understood? That I felt the same? No. Even though it was surely true, it might seem to dismiss or diminish her experiences. I did not want that. I wanted to be strong enough to stand proudly by her side. By the team's side. I wanted to show her that she was truly incredible. That people cared for her. That nobody here thought that she was a freak. I wanted to break down the institutions that had shaped us, defined us, and found us wanting. They were a relic of a foregone time. A time when it had been acceptable to judge those by their differences. That time had passed. The purpose of Harmonia, of the Heroes of Harmony, was to begin bridging the gap of those differences. Perhaps those were the words, then, that brought it all together.

I gently guided her head up, looked her in the eyes, "You are not alone."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 31, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

She had to keep an eye on him, to make sure that he wasn't hurting too much. But Arc hadn't said anything, preferring to leaving Bossanova with his thoughts and with his gadgets. Mostly because that's what she herself would prefer in a similar situation, just leave her to her thoughts while she meditated. Not that hammering a lot of metal or whatever technological thing he was doing was meditating, but the idea was similar enough. But she was getting better at socialising with other people, so even here Arc was able to pick up that he is bottling his true feelings up. That was super bad for his chi, if nothing else. So, Arc finally opens her mouth to interrupt the relative silence.

"…if you want to talk, Bossanova, I'm available."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Keep busy, that is what Bossanova was told by some of the older members of the patchwork resistance when he was younger and dealing with nerves.

Keep busy, don't talk about it, don't even think about it, just work. And so Fidel worked in abject silence, repairing his fried equipment. And it was a relaxing to a degree, he had opened thee things up and repaired them so many times at this point he instinctively knew how it all worked, and just to make sure he insulated it all for protection against... Random electrical charges.

"…if you want to talk, Bossanova, I'm available."

Bossanova paused, sighed, and placed a soldering iron back into it's holder. "No... I'm good." He slumped onto the desk. "I just need a few moments." Wordlessly he clipped the two halves of the Thumper Guns casing back together and started tightening the screws.

"It stung a bit. I'll get over it. That's all there really is to it."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Arc just nods, she understood where Bossanova was coming from. And frankly, just trying to lecture at him about somebody else saying the wrong thing wouldn't exactly help. "Okay." She nods again, returning to her quiet vigil in the workshop. Which was absolutely not somewhere she was used to spending time in. All the broken down bits of technology, it almost looked like what happened after she was done unleashing her powers. But she couldn't just stay there in silence for however long again. Arc shuffles her feet, rubs one hand with the other, and moves at least one hearty step closer to her team-mate and his work. "Actions are louder than any words. Just do what you think is right, Bossanova."

She wasn't sure how he would react to that, after requesting silence again, so she quickly segues. "Do you need any assistance? It would only seem fair since… this is my fault?"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

A few more minutes passed in silence and now all that was left was just the cleaning up

"Actions are louder than any words. Just do what you think is right, Bossanova."

Fidel paused and out down the brush in his hand. 'What I think is right, is why I am here in the first place. And not learning that what I thought was right was wrong, is why he is here too. What is right?' Bossanova turned to reply when she quickly followed with.

"Do you need any assistance? It would only seem fair since… this is my fault?"

Fidel looked at her strangely, Fidel had known Arc for only a few weeks, their first impressions of each other was a real rocky start, and further interactions had not been any better. But this was the first time she had seemed so very uncertain.

"No, no someone needs someone to talk to here. And it seems to be you, you don't look... Well."

Fidel got up and walked over to a device under a tarpaulin, twitching it aside as he passed. He put a hand on it.

"A coffee machine! You had no idea how hard it was to find the bits for this, or the beans, the stuff we seem to get these days tastes synthetic somehow, maybe it's the additives. Are you a coffee person..." He paused waiting for her name, and realized she never actually had one didn't she?

"Calling you Arc all the time seems odd, would you object to... Archie? You can't be in uniform all the time, not just in the literal sense but in the head, even the big leaguers have time out to be normal and human for a few minutes. But you? I've never seen you just, chill, and that isn't healthy."

<TheNabphone> Bossanova Counter Comforts Arc. Mundane +2
<TheNabphone> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> TheNabphone, 7+2 = 9
<TheNabphone> Good enough

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 4, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Wyld Hunt HQ

"Talk?" Arc repeats, not quite getting what Bossanova was putting down. Those few moments of confused silence are an embarrassingly long time in hindsight. "Oh! You mean I should talk?" She finally gets it. "…I'm not that great with talking." She eventually follows up with. "Besides, you already saw everything that happened. I blew up a bunch of stuff, including you once and almost a second time. I only managed to find you when I did because I had a friend of mine, who technically I should be arresting for being not a hero, help me. And Dance Commander was mad about everything. It hasn't been a particularly edifying day for my journey into heroics, Bossanova." Arc sighs a little.

It was a good thing Fidel decided to announce what he had hidden under the tarpaulin, because otherwise Arc wouldn't have known what exactly it was he was showing her. "Almost all of the food grown in Rivell is organic and free of synthetics." She notes. "If you care about the quality of your coffee beans like that, maybe look for some Rivellian grown coffee." Arc helpfully suggests, not at all being parochial. "I don't like taking stimulants, it affects my chi. Herbal tea is about as far as I go."

But they hadn't stayed on the topic of coffee for long. "Arc…hie?" Again, Arc is somewhat lost for words. "I mean, you're already shortening Arc Voltaic down to get Arc. But if you like Archie then I guess that's okay? I'm just not used to names, none of us had any back in the Order of the Short Circuit. It kinda feels overly familial, Bossanova." She tells her team-mate. "I'm not normal, though. My whole life is in uniform, it's 'chilling' that's strange and abnormal to me. I like my uniform."

Going to mark off Afraid!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Bossanova pressed buttons as he listened to his, well I suppose he should allow the term 'friend' to enter the relationship between them now, it's hard to remain hostile to someone who saved your life. He looked up once she finished though.

"You mean, you were on active duty all the time? You get like 4 hours to sleep and 30 minutes to eat lunch and that's it?" He waited for her reply, the look on her face spoke volumes. "Wow, that's just. That's really weird, how did you cope?" He drew a cup of coffee for himself, and let his hands rest on the buttons.

"Not sure if I have herbal tea on hand yet, I haven't found the things for it, but I can do plain old teabag tea, is that okay?" He waited for her response, and acted accordingly. As the machine whirred and clicked and brewed machined tea he looked like he was debating asking something. After a moment, he decided to take the plunge.

"Hey err, Archie. I was wondering something ever since I joined this team proper, just on a personal curiosity level and such, what's the deal with like, magic." He waved his hands, as if he was trying to put words around something he didn't quite understand. "Like, how does it work and stuff, I mean I see your magic, and it's magic alright but then I've seen Sol and Kitsu's magic, and it's still magic but not one of them seem alike, if you get what I mean."

"Is magic something that just, happens to people? Like naturally genetic superpowers?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 5, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Arc Voltaic and Bossanova

"I'll be waiting." Brokrr manages to get in quickly before Arc shuts off her communicator. Not much else to do for the moment except for wait for the healer. Still, you two seem to be getting comfortable with each other. Have you ever considered that this relationship could become something similar to Sol and Artemis or is this strictly platonic? As for Sol and Artemis, do you want to talk to them? It may not be the best idea to let festering divides like that develop between the group, especially if you want to follow up on Brokkr's information. From past experience, he tends to get himself involved in dangerous situations due to the nature of his job. Have either of you had personal experience about how tension in the group had a negative impact?

What do you do?

Artemis, Kitsu and Sol

You can't help but notice the little ice patches that Frost Guard leaves in his wake. Do you feel anxious about his powers due to their seeming lack of control? Then again, Bossanova didn't look happy as he left. Do you want to leave him with Arc Volatic or maybe you should try apologizing to him? You haven't recieved any messages from anyone just yet, so you aren't immediately at risk of destroying your reputation. If you're quick about it, Artemis might be able to get a report in before the Border Patrol finds out. While it certainly wouldn't completely lose the ire that would be aimed at her, it could possibly soften the blow if you explain your perspective.

What do you do?

Frost Guard

The cool air of the night helps to temper your powers, at least for now. There is still a little frost emanating from you, but at least you aren't accidentally going to freeze the entire base. Have you told your teammates the intricacies of your powers or do you think that they don't really need to know? Do you regret how you dealt with the situation with the rest of your team?

As you are left with your thoughts and the cool night, you see a figure emerge from the forest. Probably the most distinctive feature of the woman was the gigantic antlers on her head. Her clothing seemed to be wholly inappropriate for the cool evening and there seemed to be a weird ball of light floating around her.

"Finally!" You hear a tiny, high-pitched voice exclaim. "Geez, why did the Border Patrol have to make it so hard to find the base?"

"Come on Little-Wing, you know that they are just being safe." The woman responded in a warm voice. Once the figures come closer to the base, you recognise them as Princess Antlers and Little-Wing, both of whom were members of the Heroes of Harmony. When she sees you, Princess Antlers gives you a friendly wave while you notice Little-Wing recoiling slightly at your peculiar visage.

"Why hello there Frost Guard. I'm here to see Bossanova. Would you happen to know where he is?"

Presumably, Princess Antlers and Little-Wing must've been the healer that Dance Commander mentioned. Do you want to take them directly to Bossanova and Arc Voltaic or maybe just show them around. After all, Bossanova didn't seem to be particularly happy with the team and maybe she knows one of your other teammates.

What do you do?

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior : +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential : 2/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Wyld Hunt Base

>WHUNK<

Frost Guard grit ceramic teeth as a metallic fist hammered home into a heavy pillar of ice. Deep cracks spread out from the impact point, whisps of white mist hissing out of the corner of his mouth as he breathed out. His body rated the force of his punch with scientific accuracy, measured it against the stress limits his body’s manufacturer had programmed in. He could hit harder, but it would mangle the delicate servo motors that let him do precision tasks.

>CRNK<

His left fist swung forward, smashing into the same place and widening the same cracks as his glowered, eyes shining as the front of the pillar collapsed inward. Sometimes … sometimes he wished he could hurt. Feel muscle fatigue, an ache in his bones, some kind of feedback that he was exerting himself. He didn’t know if he was just trying to work off steam, or if he was trying to punish himself for something. With so much of his body being mechanical, too much felt different, similar feelings tended to bleed together. It’d be so much easier if he could just turn them off, but no matter how mechanical he was on the outside, how cold he could seem, his core was still organic. He was still human, somewhere.

“RRRRRRRRRGH!” he pushed both hands into the ice, his fingers finding purchase as he started to pulled outwards, widening the gap his fist had punched into. The vents under his shirt lit up as he pulled with more force, instinctively bringing the ambient temperature down around him to an early winter chill. The low crackling snaps of fracturing ice filled the air, until the pillar in front of him split apart down the middle, collapsing inward under its own weight. With contempt, he looked down at the pile of ice in front of him, his eyes still narrow until he stepped forward and kicked. The smaller chunks of ice slid across the open grassy square until they landed in the round pool, floating along the top like a miniature display of icebergs.

“…Dammit.” He muttered under his breath, reaching a hand out, focusing the aperture in his palm down at the ground. Foggy white ice rose up in front of him, a new pillar rising up to replace the old as he tried to focus the build-up he was experiencing, hoping to take the internal pressure off of his systems.

He wasn’t happy with the way that confrontation with Sol had gone. Sol was understandably perturbed with him. Frost Guard had gambled on the Ms. Fields, and it had gone badly. That would’ve been bad enough, but Frost Guard hadn’t even used one of his own secrets for the bid. Really though, he didn’t see the big deal. The two of them were interested in each other, that much was clear. So what if their parents might not agree, the both of them were old enough to make their own decisions, they were living and working independently of their families. So what if people knew, they were public figures, that was going to happen anyway. The thought that one would be targeted to get to the other was ridiculous, it’s not as though either of them was pursuing a relationship with a helpless bystander.

>WHUNK< his fist crashed home again, a tiny spider-web of microfractures following the impact of his fist. The problem was, he knew he wasn’t acting without a bias. Before he’d gotten sick, he’d had someone he loved too. He’d been as good as dead, and she’d moved out without him, leaving him with a head full of “might’ve beens”. This was a dangerous line of work. Despite his best efforts, either of them could be seriously hurt any day. If that happened before the two of them got over their timidness, if they let fear of their families keep them apart until it was too late, they’d carry this same damned weight with them. Maybe he had been trying to pressure them for his own satisfaction, maybe he wasn’t such a good guy. He was who he was though. He didn’t have time for regrets, he couldn’t bear anymore “might’ve beens”.

>WHUNK< the post wobbled slightly with the next punch. Then there was the way he’d left, abruptly, dismissively. Well, that was him all over, wasn’t it? It was easier to let someone hate him that explain how his powers worked. That’d mean opening up, which was something he hadn’t done since being assigned to this team. What was he going to say? That he was envious of Arc’s control and wasn’t sure the team actually needed him and his unstable powers as long as she was around? That while Sol’s mother being a Hero was a complication, at least she believed in the Harmonian ideal unlike his own mother? Apparently, opening his mouth just caused trouble. Maybe he’d be better off just playing the role of Kitsu’s mute enforcer. At least then he wouldn’t cause any more damage.

>WHUNK< he paused after the next punch landed, hearing voices softly carrying beyond the tree line. He sighed slightly, and here he’d been glad that no one had followed him from the briefing room. He straightened up, thin layers of icy build-up along his body and legs cracking and breaking free to fall to the ground in light sheets as he moved. He nodded politely in return to Princess Antlers, though he outwardly seemed to ignore Little-Wing’s less genial reaction. She looked like the sort to associate with the Seelie Court, spring unless he missed his guess, they tended to have a bad reaction to him in general.

“Welcome to Wyld Hunt Outpost, ladies.” He said levelly, “If you’d be so kind as to present your badges so I can confirm your arrival with security, I’ll lead you to him.”

Going back into those confined corridors was about the last thing he wanted to do in his current mental state. Still, after their spat with Dance Commander, and the way the Tribunal had painted Kitsu’s relationship with Mecha Savior, he didn’t want to reinforce the notion that the Hunt was contemptuous of the Heroes of Harmonia’s senior staff by just giving them directions. He rested one hand against the pillar he’d built, pushing it over to the side where it burst upon impact with the ground. No sense in leaving it standing to potentially fall on someone as it melted, after all.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 6, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

'Archie' nods. "We were expected to be ready for duty as any moment." She confirms. "And if it weren't a mission we were ready for, then there was training, spiritual purifying, maintenance, chores. There was never any time to not be busy. And I didn't really sleep, I meditated. I got the same rest, but was in a conscious state for active duty if I needed to go on short notice." Saying it all out loud like that, it sounds rather bad. Definitely militant. Harsh, uncaring, using child soldiers effectively. "It's the only life I knew, I didn't need to cope. It was just how thing were. You don't miss what you never had… and that sounds a great deal more forlorn than I intended." Arc Voltaic clears her throat and looks down at her boots, letting Bossanova get to work making coffee appear from the machine using some arcane process she will never truely understand.

Staring at the coffee machine, watching it whizz and whirr as it spits out a cup for Bossanova, Arc slowly answers. "Black tea has caffeine in it as well." She points out. "Black, green and white tea all come from the same leaf and all contain varying amounts of caffeine depending on when it's picked and how…" Catching herself before she talks about the entire history of tea to avoid talking about things that actually matter, Arc shuts her mouth and nods. "A plain old teabag tea will be okay. Thank you, Bossanova."

Her tea was black, with no sugar. For coming out of a machine, she had to admit it did seem fairly drinkable. The question Bossanova hesitantly asks gets Arc's attention. While today was one big day or uncertainty, this was something she knew about. "Comparative magical and scientific theory was something we were taught about extensively in the Order. Know thy enemy. So, would you like the short answer or the long answer?" Arc manages a small smile. "If you try to understand magic in terms of how you understand science, you'll never get anywhere. In science, you can reproduce an experiment and get the same result time and time again. With magic, every attempt would turn out a different result. It's not just an antithesis to science, it's inherent chaos." She explains, trying to not go too overboard.

"But magic doesn't just happen to people. I didn't just get magic at random, I was born under a lightning storm and that is a powerful omen of being blessed by the totem of the Thunderbird. The seventh son of a seventh son of a seventh son is going to be a powerful sorcerer. For magical creatures like Kitsu, they are all blessed with the favour of the Kitsune because of their long culture steeped in reverence for it." Arc pauses, waiting for Bossanova to either nod along understandingly or stare blankly at her for talking nonsense. "So, basically, magic works through certain bodies being natural conductors for chi and mana. Collecting this passively is one thing, most people can do that unconsciously, being trained to release it is another. Being in touch with a powerful totem releases a 'valve' if you will, giving you a steadier and stronger stream of chi to release. Like choosing the right element to conduct electricity, for example. A battery hooked up to a circuitboard with gold, silver or copper will be good provide a good flow of electricity. Using aluminium will give you a bad flow. And using rubber or quartz would prevent the electricity from flowing totally, and the battery just sits there doing nothing. It's just the way of their molecular makeup. Magic isn't as quantifiable, but the principal is broadly similar."

Arc pauses again, but this time for good. "…I talked too much, didn't I?" She sighs. "Sorry. None of that probably made any sense. That's magic in a nutshell." At least Bossanova seemed comfortable enough to talk to her about non-work matters. As the the day had started off on the wrong foot, this was encouraging! Fixing hurt divides, even with Bossanova! Tech guy who isn't magical at all! And who Arc had beat the hell out of when they first met! If she had got this far already, who knows! They might even be friends soon! Arc was glad they were talking, at least. "Hey, look, Bossanova." Archie ventures. "I meant to make up breaking your weapons to you. I have a friend, Brokrr, who makes weapons. I thought he might be able to help shield you gear from magic affecting it like I did." She explains, and waits a few moments before adding. "…and he contacted me earlier saying he has information on Cypheris. Could be hitting two birds with one stone?" She offers. "Would you be interested? Once the healer helps you, of course. We could all go together, maybe? Team building by breaking Dance Commander's curfew all together?"

Archie hadn't actually even so much as sipped her tea yet.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Bossanova listened to the long and somewhat rambling explanation of magic as it was explained to him. It sort of made sense? So you had to be born with it, but not quite born with it, but it was possible for a non-magic user to get into the craft just, very difficult. So hypothetically in a hypothetical situation in a hypothetical manner it was entirely possible he could do magic? Food for thought. He'd stick with the science for now, it was the one set of rules he adhered to when he was working.

The offer she then gave him surprised him though, it was quite possible the second most surprising thing she could have said at this moment. Telling him about his contacts.

"Is this friend one of those special friends that you should be arresting but won't because they are you friends?" He thought about this for about a second and clasped his hands together. "Hell yeah I'm down, curfews are for suckers, and since no one else wants to look up this stuff we can make it up to our team." 'And being that the last time one of us went solo I got mugged in a dark alleyway i think it would be for the best if we went together' was what he also thought but didn't voice because he had a reputation to keep up. He was going with her for sweet loot and for sticking it THE MAN (Even if Bloody Stanley did have nothing but his best interests in mind) and not in anyway because he didn't want happening to her what happened to him.

Where did that thought come from. Oh no, no, no Brain that's a Riavellian do NOT crush on her, do NOT have feelings for the enemy! That is something that we agreed not to do I order you to-

But she's really cute.

Stop that, stop that right now!

"But y-yes, tea and healing first, then willful breaking of rules." He coughed. "Best drink it before it gets cold."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Archie swirls her tea around and around and around in her cup before finally sipping at it. Bitter. Just about drinking temperature. Tannin-y. And there's the caffeine. She can already feel a little thunderstorm rumbling in her tummy.

She nods. "Yes it is. I know him from my time in the Order. He is not one of them or associated with them, but I did get supplies from him for the Order. As a hero and for his stance against Fuseon I should have turned him in. But I only have a few friends, and fewer still that I trust. He's one of them, and I won't betray him like that. I hope you and the rest of the Hunt can understand that." Arc explains, looking a little conflicted as a 'hero' now but totally sure that she had to stick by her friends.

And Archie smiles when Bossanova throws all in. "Great." She drinks a little more tea. "That's what I was thinking, Bossanova. Today has been… tricky, for everybody. If we can go and get this information, we can help the team a lot. It's worth it." Arc opines in not at all a self serving way. She just wanted what was best for the team. "And if Sol, Artemis, Kitsu and Frost Guard are reluctant to come along with us, then we will just go anyway and they'll have to come to try and stop us breaking curfew. It works no matter what happens." For maybe the first time since she had been a Harmony Hero, Arc laughs. It was but a small giggle at her terrible wicked plan, but it was a laugh nonetheless.

"Healing definitely needs to come first. You cannot move right with that many broken ribs, and I really don't want to have to fall back on making another explosion to get us out of any trouble."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak: -1 | Danger: +0 | Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Artemis blinked away her misty eyes. Bless Sol, he was trying so hard. She took his hand and kissed it.

"Thank you Sol. Sorry, I'm such a sorry excuse for a soldier, this whole thing hasn't gone quite how I'd hoped. I'm going to try and get this report done. Maybe not get eviscerated by Pa. You're welcome to help if you like. I'll need to apologise to Boss, but I'll probably just mess up again right now. Maybe I should get him a present...?"

(Artemis is going to write the report)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Post-Smackdown Hugfest

I grinned at Artemis, "Sure, let's get that report taken care of. I'm not sure what all I can do to help, but it will certain help me get my thoughts in order for when I have to face my mother. As for Bossanova, maybe we can ask Dance Commander about the sorts of things he liked back before this? After, you know, he calms down a bit."

My thoughts turned to Frost Guard. It was no doubt that his control had been an issue in the past. Was he more danger to us than our enemies? How could we help? He kept everyone at arms length. Except, perhaps, Kitsu. She might have some thoughts on that. But first things first. Report. Meeting with my family when possible. There would be time to mend relations with the rest of the team afterwards.

• Locked thread