Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
what is the name of this mangaka I need to know, these look v. cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Maitake is the above doujin artist who just had a truckload of his stuff scanlated this year; it's amazing.

I think he and Kairakuen Umeka have the snappiest, wittiest stuff around and I wanna see them get serialized sometime. But until then, ill appreciate every doujinshi

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

oh dear

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Madoka was the last anime I actually watched and enjoyed.
I've been very frustrated, though, that even by the time I got to it, opinion online was moving from "it's the best thing ever" to "overrated" to "it's a ripoff of another anime" (So far: Lain, Evangelion, Kamen Rider Ryuki. And many people also say Kamen Rider Gaim is close enough to not watch Madoka)

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone irl to talk about it with. No one wants to see anything "depressing" anymore. Everyone, including people who don't really have any life problems, seems to say to me that they won't watch anything with a sad ending because life is hard enough. Before, when I had just seen the series and I was so in love with it that I was considering buying all the figures... I couldn't recommend an adult-audience anime show about teenage girls, after the other poo poo I had seen in the genre. So I haven't really been able to discuss it at all.

Still, I've tried to catch up, with limited time, on the things people accuse Madoka of being a ripoff of, in hopes one day of addressing that. Although I've just seen Ryuki and Gaim, which wasn't really that, and have only seen first quarter or so of evengelion. Maybe having a thread to actually talk about this could motivate me.

I'd like to say first, though, there was discussion of if Madoka's wish was the "best" wish. It probably wasn't. That's what I like about this series. No one is completely wrong or right. The ending is final but ambiguous, and you could argue forever about who was right or wrong without really reaching any particular conclusion. I really appreciate that.

The criticism I've heard a lot that the series is anti-magical-girl, a "deconstruction", sexist, gets really frustrating. Ironic, how at first people would say not to watch the series unless you had seen ALL of Sailor Moon or you might MISS A REFERENCE and that's the ENTIRE POINT OF THE SHOW back in the day. Nowadays the series is said to be about how girls should not have wishes. This is actually how people describe the series, that it's about punishing girls for agency, when Madoka's wish is the single greatest action anyone takes. Plus you're also sexist if you watched Madoka but won't watch pre-cure or other magical girl shows.
I mean, back when I first saw Madoka, I saw it as affirming of "feminine" values and magical girl stories, as all the more combative and masculine actions just lead to strife and perpetuation of the world's system, whereas Madoka's kindness actually took more strength and spirit than anyone else anyone did, and was the only thing that ended up changing the world for the better. So I guess it made me appreciate the genre a little more? And I don't think Gen actually meant anything against the genre with this story, despite it showing some darker aspects such as how stressful life as a child soldier would actually be.

Comparing Madoka to Ryuki: The premises are in fact similar. I feel Madoka is a stronger series, but both are worth watching. Ryuki has some good characters but the lines of good and evil are drawn far more strongly among the riders/magical girls - none of the magical girls are evil, one of the riders is a serial killer. In fact, the Magical girls are all pretty normal and realistic before becoming magic, whereas Ryuki has some pretty larger than life characters. And in Madoka, no one makes the magical girls fight each other or outright tells them to kill each other. They're manipulated and their survival pits them against each other. Shiro explicitly makes the riders fight.
And really, why would you say Ryuki is better when even among people who like the series, they pretty much agree that the ending is just plain bad?
The post about removing the guts and getting a similar skeleton was spot on here.

Comparing Madoka to Gaim: I could complain all day about Gaim, even though there were likable aspects. I do not understand how Gaim and Madoka came from the same writer. But I don't think anyone here cares about Gaim.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The criticism I've heard a lot that the series is anti-magical-girl, a "deconstruction", sexist, gets really frustrating. Ironic, how at first people would say not to watch the series unless you had seen ALL of Sailor Moon or you might MISS A REFERENCE and that's the ENTIRE POINT OF THE SHOW back in the day. Nowadays the series is said to be about how girls should not have wishes. This is actually how people describe the series, that it's about punishing girls for agency, when Madoka's wish is the single greatest action anyone takes. Plus you're also sexist if you watched Madoka but won't watch pre-cure or other magical girl shows.

I mean, back when I first saw Madoka, I saw it as affirming of "feminine" values and magical girl stories, as all the more combative and masculine actions just lead to strife and perpetuation of the world's system, whereas Madoka's kindness actually took more strength and spirit than anyone else anyone did, and was the only thing that ended up changing the world for the better. So I guess it made me appreciate the genre a little more? And I don't think Gen actually meant anything against the genre with this story, despite it showing some darker aspects such as how stressful life as a child soldier would actually be.

Madoka is doing its own thing and isn't really there to critique other things, so your frustration is understandable. While it has a lot of referential base to it, and a lot of that is based on prior magical girl anime, it's also clearly creating its own narrative out of that. I feel you're being kind of unfair with the sexism comment though. Madoka is in an entirely different genre and intended for an entirely different demographic than most other magical girl anime. You can like Madoka and not other magical girl anime for that reason, and sexism doesn't really need to enter the equation.

I don't really agree with your interpretation of wishes either, here. It's important to keep in mind that wishes don't exist in a vacuum, they're intrinsically tied to the greater system of Magical Girls and magic. To put it simply, to engage with magic and make a wish is to destroy yourself as a human being, generally with the death of the person making the wish.

Sayaka dies due to the system and the exact same way as she did in the old world. Nagisa as well, or at least I assume as much. Homura, of course, falls into despair. In other words, besides no longer transforming into Witches, Magical Girls are exactly the same as they were in the old world. They're still child soldiers drafted into an eternal war (albeit against Wraiths instead of Witches), are most likely still scammed into it (what reason do the Incubators have for telling the girls they're attempting to manipulate the entire truth of things, even in the new world?), and die in basically the same way. More to the point, they're robbed of any chance of real maturation, into actual adults, and Madoka's "heaven" is no solution. I feel it's particularly relevant now considering how the Concept Movie opens, with the dialogue between Homura and Madoka:

“Madoka & Homura: Do you know what happiness is?
Madoka: It's bright May sunshine.
Homura: It's the warmth of family.
Madoka: It's fried eggs for breakfast.
Madoka & Homura: But there's nothing like that in Heaven.

Madoka & Homura: Do you know what happiness is?
Homura: It's having your name called by someone.
Madoka: It's calling someone's name.
Homura: It's when someone is thinking of you.
Madoka & Homura: But God alone cannot have any of this.”
(Emphasis mine)

Madoka, as a series, then, exists as a conflict of Magic vs. Humanity. To choose magic, as Magical Girls do, is to reject their humanity, and if they don't, they just die faster. Sayaka attempted to hold onto hers, and was dead in weeks. Kyouko became animalistic and predatory, and survived for a few years. Homura effectively became a machine, and Madoka, well, she destroyed her human existence completely and utterly. Thus, to choose magic is to reject humanity, to reject the definition of happiness put forth in the Concept Movie, and, crucially, to reject growing up.

The anti-thesis of this in the series is Junko, Madoka's mother. She represents the opposite of what the Magical Girl is as a concept. She's a strong, independent woman, successful in her career and the breadwinner of her home. She did all of that without wishes, without magic, without Incubators or anything else. Where Madoka failed, Junko succeeded, never using wishes or magic.

As a further point, I can't really agree with the characters having "agency" with their wishes. Do they make the choice of their own free will? Yes. Do they do it with the full knowledge of the consequences? Absolutely not. The Incubators withhold information or manipulate it to their own advantage, which is the generation of energy, and nothing else. Sayaka is pretty much the titular case here, as she made her wish without knowing what would happen to her. What agency is there in being tricked by the Incubators into destroying yourself so they can make their energy? Magical Girls and the entire system is a trap, formed out of manipulated information and misguided idealism.

Sayaka also exists as a rebuttal of "feminine ideal" in the narrative, considering her arc. Sayaka destroys herself because of her wish. A wish for what? To heal Kyousuke's hand, and effectively, to give him his career back as a consequence. In other words, you have a woman destroying herself for a man, and the reasoning isn't even that she's saving Kyousuke's life, she's just killing herself so he can play the violin again. Where is the strong female agency in this? What happened to Sayaka was terrible, and what's worse is that Madoka completely agrees with this outcome. Sayaka should not have died over what happened. What happened wasn't a good thing. At least Homura has the sense to realize this at some level, even if she didn't really intend to revive Sayaka:

(From the runes) “Because of the eternal law that is magic, this person's freedom and love were stolen."

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 3, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am unironically excited to see more Lord Justice

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Anybody saying Madoka is "depressing," especially the original series, is talking out their rear end. The ending practically explodes with hope.

Rebellion, on the other hand, explodes with crazyweird. But not necessarily in a bad way. Dead characters are back alive and living good lives, for instance, even if the universe is a little ... wobbly.

Can't comment on any upcoming or unreleased media, though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

I am unironically excited to see more Lord Justice

Same.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Lord Justice exists in a state of quantum suspension, waiting for someone to effortpost in the Madoka thread and collapse the waveform, at which point he manifests in the thread with the word "jouissance" already on his lips.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I wanted to make a reply, and I'll be off forum for the next ten days, but I'm not articulate and don't have one exactly assembled.

The criticisms I mentioned are not mine, to make that clear. There what the buzz I've seen around the net, since Urobuchi is still in the news and people inevitably bring up the series. (Like Kamen Rider Gaim... which really disappointed me. I doubt anyone cares about Gaim, but I'll just mention the characters in it are so thin and inhuman I can't believe it's from the same writer as Madoka)
I also have not seen the concept movie trailer and the link earlier has gone missing. I'm mainly basing everything on the original series and less so Rebellion.

I disagree with justice's comments somewhat, but I don't really have time to fully address them since it's 1am. I'll try to at some point when I get back from the trip I'm about to take.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lmao

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Treasures, every one

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
These are the true ending to Madoka.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 29, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

good comics

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Madoka with Usagi's personality is kind of great

Years ago I would have said no to a Madoka slice of life but I think I'm at the point where Puella Magi Sketch is 100% something I'd be on board for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

Madoka with Usagi's personality is kind of great

Years ago I would have said no to a Madoka slice of life but I think I'm at the point where Puella Magi Sketch is 100% something I'd be on board for

:yeah:

• Locked thread