Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeschylust
Nov 16, 2006
I'm currently trying to upgrade a 2009 Macbook Pro that is currently on Mountain Lion to a more recent version of OS X in order to use the app store / other recent software.

Unfortunately, this machine is not allowed to update to Sierra, which is the only OS currently offered as an upgrade on the app store. Can anyone direct me toward an alternative approach that will allow me to directly upgrade to El Capitan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

13, 15 or 17 inch MBP?

That one is kind of right on the edge for El Capitan if it's 13 inch.

Aeschylust
Nov 16, 2006
It's a 15 inch MBP. I will edit this post tomorrow to include the serial number. The laptop is at work at the moment.

Here is a link to the description: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-aluminum-15-late-2008-unibody-specs.html#macspecs1

Aeschylust fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 23, 2016

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Call AppleCare. They should be able to issue you a redemption code for whatever OS your computer can run.

Aeschylust
Nov 16, 2006
I had tried that but they just directed me toward a service center that may or may not have a copy of a more recent version of OS X that I can pay them to install on my computer. Basically, I'm looking for a way to download a legitimate copy of the El Capitan.app executable. I found one download link on macdrug.com, but the file was corrupt in some fashion and would not complete installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

Does that link work for you?

• Locked thread