Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you have a professor that isn't striking you should probably go to that class just to be safe. At the very least make token appearances for a day or two in case you have That One Professor who decided to be a dick about attendance policies. Like if a professor never shows up don't worry about being there the whole time but y'know.

You know the one. Every school has one.

Nope all of mine were on the picket line and no substitutes. Plus two of my teachers told us we could skip and just read ahead or do online stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just don't know why community college is not emphasized more.

I was looking at colleges for after high school, and the first thing I noticed was all the prerequisites that 4-year colleges in washinton had, and their price.
I also never wanted to do all the testing needed to get directly into a 4-year school straight out of high school.

A local community college branch was nearby, and I was nervous about living on my own in a dorm, so I chose a community college so I could transfer and have more time to adapt to a college lifestyle.

There are a ton of 'common core' classes that every university requires in Washington state for someone to graduate, and a community college transfer let me get those classes done in a less stressful environment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-state-universities-update-20161020-story.html

called this. its gonna be weeks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Seems like one of the biggest sticking points is the state wanting to use more adjunct and part time professors while other professors are responding with "go to hell, that isn't acceptable."

Which is kind of why I brought up ripple effects; a very real problem in the American college system right now is classes increasingly being taught by grad students or professors that are part-time teachers in more than one school. It was really only a matter of time before that system pissed off people enough to make this sort of thing happen. Posters complaining about ballooning administrative costs, increasing class sizes, and a decrease in tenured/tenure-track faculty kept cropping up. Meanwhile the university was destroying entire departments and only giving a poo poo about departments that were profitable (i.e., business and tech).

I really expect to see more strikes or similar things happening in other schools. This is going to get messy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Seems like one of the biggest sticking points is the state wanting to use more adjunct and part time professors while other professors are responding with "go to hell, that isn't acceptable."

Which is kind of why I brought up ripple effects; a very real problem in the American college system right now is classes increasingly being taught by grad students or professors that are part-time teachers in more than one school. It was really only a matter of time before that system pissed off people enough to make this sort of thing happen. Posters complaining about ballooning administrative costs, increasing class sizes, and a decrease in tenured/tenure-track faculty kept cropping up. Meanwhile the university was destroying entire departments and only giving a poo poo about departments that were profitable (i.e., business and tech).

I really expect to see more strikes or similar things happening in other schools. This is going to get messy.

agreed, I am just worried. only one of my teachers is still having class(at least for a test) but the others are all gone. the admin isn't even trying to get subs, they only want people to sit in classrooms so a official can at some point stick their head in a do a count as gently caress you to the profs. So now i am worried about the aftermath of all of this poo poo. my guess is winter break is hosed and so are my credits.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Strike's over, apparently. :confuoot:

quote:

The agreement includes pay increases and allows the state to reduce health care costs. The union had previously said the state wanted to cut wages for adjunct professors and have graduate students teach more classes, and those proposals were withdrawn.

The deal still must be ratified by the union and the state system's board of governors.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 22, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm extremely stupid

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

good. my guess is a ton of loving pressure was put on them (the admin system, not the union) to back off there bullshit(at least for now). no one was taking the admin/states side in this, even the conservatives i knew thought the professors/union were in right.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

good. my guess is a ton of loving pressure was put on them (the admin system, not the union) to back off there bullshit(at least for now). no one was taking the admin/states side in this, even the conservatives i knew thought the professors/union were in right.

a uni admin that isn't required to bend over backwards to accomodate the professoriat is a bad uni admin

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

blowfish posted:

a uni admin that isn't required to bend over backwards to accomodate the professoriat is a bad uni admin

Bad news: according to your definition, 99% of uni admins are bad admins then.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Maxwells Demon posted:

That isn't news, uni admin is always bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Maxwells Demon posted:

99% is generously low.

• Locked thread